Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Djeser posted:

Yeah if anyone here wants to expose themselves to secondhand Friendship is Optimal I did a Let's Read style thing back in one of the LessWrong threads. Starts here.

That was such a good thread. Thanks for posting, it was just as horrifying the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I've realized what Friendship Is Optimal reminds me of. The author has clearly read Accelerando by Charles Stross, missed the message, and mimicked the structure, plot, and like, half of one of the themes.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

In college my friends and I did this with fanfic. There's a secondary competition to bring the most worst fanfic. A+, highly recommend.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman. 1990, so only barely within the last thirty years, but that book is a delight.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Samuringa posted:

I finished Altered Carbon the other day and there's a point where the wife of the guy that contracted Kovacs goes to his apartment and reveals that she has augments in her body that secretes a heavily aphrodisiac drug when she's excited. Then follows a multiple pages sex scene, with very detailed and very unnecessary descriptions.

But then again, this is sci-fi, at least they were both adults.

I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator has this excellent film noir detective voice which I loved until we got thirty seconds into a sex scene and I realized with growing horror that he wasn't going to drop that voice for the whole, exceptionally long scene.