Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A ton of the fun of fantasy/sci-fi settings is the little touches of how people use technology/magic in their everyday lives, is the thing. But I think it's just one of those things where good writers do it well, and use it to make points of what the world is like, what's similar and different, and show differences between people and cultures within the setting that say something about them.

And the hack writers imitate that without understanding why or having any actual ideas about it, and so it stands out and grates.

It's a show vs tell thing. Good writers know how to deliver information/exposition in a creative way while also propelling the story. A lot of fantasy/scifi writers seem more interested in worldbuilding than they do making a story work. It's all about the care and craft, some writers are just lazy artists who don't care about craft in the least. Recently I read two Lovecraftian books, 14 by Peter Cline and The Fisherman by John Langan. Both were very similar, but what made the latter better than the former was its use of metaphor. 14's metaphors were merely functional, just to get the idea across, while Fisherman's metaphors were emotive and evocative and helped to elevate the story or at least contribute to the dispositions of the characters. Since I am as lazy as the people I criticize, I will not be including passages of either book to support my point. Eat my rear end.. 14 wasn't bad per se, although it had enough pop culture references to make it feel like Ready Player One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
am i the only person who thought the last house on needless street was really really dumb?

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Tiggum posted:

I used to always finish books I started, but somewhere in my 20s I realised that I could just read something good instead and have never looked back. If I'm 10% into a book and it hasn't grabbed me (and I haven't been warned in advance that it starts slow but gets good later or whatever) then I'll chuck it and try something else. If I'm three quarters of the way through and I realise I just don't care any more? Drop it. Read something else. Too much stuff to read/watch/play to waste time like that.

I've been doing this left and right with audiobooks. I've gotten 70% through one when there was a big split personality reveal and I stopped listening. I wouldn't even call myself a fan of thrillers/mysteries, theyre just comfy to listen to at work, so I listen to quite a few and drat near half of them have some kinda split personality thing and it makes me so fuckin mad