Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

outlier posted:

* Mysterious character Enoch Root pops up, acts enigmatic and disappears again. What?
He shows up and gets explained during the Baroque Cycle, though having thought about it now, I'm not sure why. He doesn't really add that much to the novels and his secret, such as it is, isn't really relevant to the story despite how important it would be. He's like Stephenson' s version of Nick Fury, just popping up during the credits to remind you that the books are part of a shared universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

True, but Chrono Trigger did a much better job.
The weirdest video game experience like that for me was the first Dead Space; the protagonist never speaks and you have very little agency in the game so somehow my brain constructed this entire working class world weary cynic personality for him and was shocked when the sequels came along that I had been playing him 'wrong' the whole time.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

It's like a literal South Park episode only, I'm assuming here, it's meant to be serious.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Don Gato posted:

Personally I thought the beginning of Diamond Age was a better parody of the typical cyberpunk protagonist. I also thought that in general, The Diamond Age was better but I havent met anyone that agrees with me there.

Also while I liked that book, that's about when I realized that he really has trouble writing endings.
I don't like The Diamond Age (because of the ending thing you mention) but I still like it better than Snow Crash.

I'm not sure that I agree with the idea that Stephenson's strength is in the esoteric technical stuff because my favorite thing he's ever written was the Baroque Cycle and it wasn't very technical at all.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Nah, it's popular because it's about a handsome billionaire who gets so infatuated with a woman that he can't control himself in her presence, showers her with expensive gifts and has awesome sex with her. Like, a lot of sex.
I have never read the book or seen the movie for Fifty Shades of Grey but I have gone with a date to the movie version of the sequel, Fifty Shades Darker, and I can absolutely confirm this take on the series' popularity. The sequel is pretty much 'Hi, I'm a handsome experienced billionaire who has beautiful women throwing themselves at him but what I really want more than anything is for you to change me please'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Years ago, Penny Arcade did a comic that was basically about this very book before it apparently existed.

I was always a little surprised that they didn't actually write the book because it seemed like the only kind of book that the writing half of Penny Arcade could probably really do.