Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Speaking of the Louvre, I read Da Vinci Code as a teenager. Even if I was intrigued by the (totally dumb, in retrospect) ideas behind it, ultimately it's the definition of a hack-job. It's the book version of a dumb person pretending to be intellectual. Brown is a very self-indulgent author who tries to wow the audience with facts and his impressions of a cultured person.

Angels and Demons was the same. I distinctly remember the bit where Robert Langdon had an aside about his father and how he bought him a beautiful gift after Mom Langdon died and Daddy never appreciated it and he took it back. It was the clumsiest attempt to shoehorn sentimentalism into it. Oh, and he was saved from suffocation because of his Mickey Mouse watch? Did you know Mickey Mouse is Topolino in Italian? I bet you didn't!

My mother sent me a copy of Digital Fortress, also by Dan Brown, shortly after I moved to Japan and was yet to source some bedtime reading material. I appreciated the thought, but once I finished reading the book -- and I had to force myself to finish the final third or so just out of some kind of completion OCD -- I put it straight in the recycling. I've only read one worse book, and that was something I picked up from a "take a book, leave a book" tray in a caravan park somewhere in New South Wales.

Dan Brown is a bad writer. I've never read or watched any of his other works, but I'm comfortable making that generalisation. The characters were one-dimensional and each had a single purpose; upcoming plot points were telegraphed to the point of "I can skip the next chapter because he's already implied what's going to happen"; the entire book read more like a screenplay to a Michael Bay movie; and the descriptions of technology were excruciatingly, ball-twistingly awful. We're talking "hack the Gibson" levels of bullshittery. Dan Brown does not understand software, nor hardware, nor cryptography.

I guess I wasn't the target market after all. Perhaps instead of appealing to techies, he was aiming for the "use Excel to write a letter, print it out, scan it in as a PDF, then rotate it, print it out again and fax it to Grandma" crowd. 1/10 would not use to line my birdcage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU