Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gabriel Pope posted:

I went through an alt-hist phase at one point, which is basically one giant goldmine of terrible books.

This can't really be said enough. Alt history is almost entirely "here is one minor change somewhere that led to my favorite side taking over the world!!!!" It's generally poorly researched, based on flimsy premises, and is really just awful historical fan fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

swamp waste posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the main reason to become a writer is because you're a bitter and powerless little turd and the idea of recreating the universe through the prism of your own dumb ego is too appealing to pass up. And the only way anything truly good ever gets written is when someone, almost by accident, captures something real in enough detail and beauty and ambiguity that it transcends its usefulness to their story and touches ur heart. It's hard to read Dante or like, The Bible, and not think this

That would explain the tendency for writers to have drinking problems, at least.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommissarMega posted:

I know you're trying to unsell the books here, but as a lover of lovely puns, I think I need these books now.

Phil Foglio actually made a comic out of the first book. Or what I think is the first book?

http://www.airshipentertainment.com/mythcomic.php?date=20100109

I thought it was amusing. Not earth-shattering literature but goofy and silly fantasy nonsense. Never read the books but the comic was OK.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

These threads always make me want to start writing again, because even though I have maybe a thousand hours of writing to go before I would even submit something to CC for critique, I know I will never be as bad as some of these authors.

To be honest I'm almost tempted to start writing again just to see if I can somehow do even worse than these authors. Forget striving to be the best I want to write the worst book ever written.