Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
The Wheel of Time. First book is literally Fellowship of the Ring with the names changed (and in the case of the Merry/Pippin substitute called "Perrin", barely even that).

Oh and the writing is awful.

Appropriately the acronym is "tWoT" - twot in Brit slang being interchangeable with twat.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The "born at an early age, in a log cabin I helped my father build" thing is an ancient joke, sometimes attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

So Abraham Lincoln made the first Chuck Norris joke.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

"Dragon's Fury" makes Tom Clancy look subtle and nuanced.

Nckdictator posted:

What's that? more you say?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The Silmarillion is a printed and bound wiki. I get that it's a compendium of lore stuff, but good god is it dry as hell.

It was never meant to be a riveting read. It's supposed to be a dense, super-spergy account of thousands of years of Middle-earth history.

The publishers are the terrible ones for marketing it as a novel alongside LotR and The Hobbit.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Pro-click right here

Robert Lionel Fanthorp posted:

The darkness all around him was thick, black, stygian. It was a stifling, overwhelming, suffocating darkness. A horrifying terrifying darkness. A darkness of the nethermost pit of hell. Indescribable. It seemed an oppressive darkness, like the darkness of some foul underground dungeon, to which the blessed light of the sun never gained access. It was velvety, almost tactile. He was inhaling it; it was penetrating the pores of his skin; it seemed that the world had always been darkness, that the world alway would be darkness. It was a timeless darkness, a weird, horrifying, overwhelming eternal blackness. He felt as though this was the darkness of a tomb, and that he had been buried alive. . .

It was dark, yo.

Robert Lionel Fanthorp posted:

The co-pilot was right. Even with the eyes shut a blueness was still everywhere. The world had suddenly turned into a vast blue phantasmagoria, a panoply of blue that was everywhere. A vista of blue desert, of blue twilight. A blue glitter, a blue sparkle, a coralescing, scintillating blue that seemed to have no end and no beginning. There was no escape from it. It was an inevitable blue, an unescapable blue. They could smell it now, it seemed to be penetrating their nostrils, their lungs, the pores of their skin. It was seeping into their bodies as thought they were immersed in a bath of it. They felt that it was invading them, that somehow it was penetrating to the innermost depths of their souls, their minds and their bodies. There was no stopping that blueness.

It was blue, yo.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Carnival of Shrews posted:

I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYd9I5i1_Ps

Cold Comfort Farm is an excellent book, don't get me wrong. But these lines (in that very voice) run through my head whenever a character beholds something so horripilating that it gives them amnesia or sends them insane.

H.P. Lovecraft's works must be annoying to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Post Your Favorite (or Request) › PYF terrible book: my oval office makes a disappointed queeb sound as we separate