Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dreqqus posted:

That's Becker. Decker is an adult swim show starring one half of Tim and Eric as basically Steven Segal.

Decker is a really weird show because while Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington make the show there's also this whole meta layer to it where they are actually playing characters named Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington who are producing the show you're watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The weird part is whenever I've seen illustrations of the books or the game or whatever, it's just regular fantasy. The trolls are just regular trolls in fantasy clothes, and not wearing the weird gas masks the show has. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Also that group of elf-hating humans watching Star Trek, thinking it's real, and booing Spock was probably the best moment in the show.

It is still a fantasy setting, even though it is in the future. Like the fantasy stuff isn't just misunderstood tech, it is literally magic. Brooks did a series where he bridged the gap between modern day and Shanarra and a big part of what changes the world is magic coming back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

What are the odds this ended with the native American eventually being convinced that Custer was cool and good and eradicating the Natives was kinda justified?

I started to read the book but didn't get very far. IIRC there wasn't really much to the whole thing as Custer didn't realize he was dead/ever conversed with the Native guy. It was just the Native guy had a bizarre stream of consciousness ramble of Custer's thoughts in his head.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

queserasera posted:

I had to put down Libromancer because the protagonist, a cataloger for a public library, did his job by standing at the front desk zapping ISBNs. Dude, really, you couldn't have just shadowed or interviewed an actual cataloger or other back-of-house staffer to find out what they actually do?

In a similar vein, I read the first book of the Invisible Library series and was super disappointed with the ending and won't be reading any of the sequels. Basically they squander the premise of being a librarian for a interdimensional library by having the main character spend the rest of the series just hanging out on one boring steampunk London world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Simmons talk reminds me of how Drood just completely falls apart at the end. The reveal that every was just Dickens hypnotizing Collins into thinking all the conspiracy stuff was real was just completely stupid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There is/was a Let's Read of the series going on in TFR and it gets even crazier from there. In the second book he ends up in this tiny Eastern European valley where he buys a castle that makes him into a local lord and he turns the valley into his own personal fiefdom. He stops some white slavers moving girls through the area and instead of freeing any of them he takes them to his castle and turns it into his own personal harem. Also since he bought the castle the people of the valley basically let him do whatever he wants so he runs roughshod over all of their property and traditions. Turning the men of the valley into his own personal PMC using his old army buddies to train them.

This guy is supposed to be the HERO of the series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

The most Goosebumpsy thing I can remember from a Goosebumps book was in the one where the kid is turned into a bee and one chapter ends with him narrating, "Suddenly, a dragonfly appeared out of nowhere and bit me in two!" then the next chapter started, "Wow, that was a weird daydream!"

Its kind of weird how the ghostwriters for Goosebumps obviously had a mandated number of cliffhanger chapter breaks they had to do per book but nobody seemed to care how said cliffhangers were concluded. Almost ever single cliffhanger resolved the same way, thing that the PoV character said was happening didn't actually happen that way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

I'm grateful society has moved past making movies out of Michael Crichton books. Even if Jurassic park was more entertaining as a movie then as a book.

Westworld is still a thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

I just found out that EL James is riding this cashcow right to her grave and has been writing a sequel trilogy, which is just 50 Shades but told from the point of view of the guy.

To the surprise of absolutely no one, her writing has not improved at all.

The funny thing is Stephenie Meyer tried to do the same thing with Twilight but people hated it so much she canceled the book. Although she claimed it was due to hackers stealing a draft or something like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everybody shut the gently caress up because I just found out this exists.

Despite him being on the cover this is supposed to be a novel and the main character is ostensibly NOT Steven Seagal.

quote:

Shadow Wolves is a book of fiction based on reality. Both author’s (sic) have worked with, confronted, and seen the power of the Deep State and the manner in which many federal government agencies willfully violate the Constitution and the laws of the land in service to special interests.

The 2016 election has for the first time made many American citizens aware that the Deep State is very real; that the mainstream media is a fake news media offering a false narrative designed by the secret intelligence world in service to special interests.
Yes, this is a real book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

girl pants posted:

Oh hello there book that I can already tell I'm going to read

I'm so excited to hear about Steven Seagal's experience with the deep state!

It is only $3 on Amazon Kindle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This book is hilarious, just imagine this scene.

quote:

A man sits alone, quietly watching the film in the back of a darkened theater. He stirs in his seat and comments to himself, "It's about time." John Gode rises slowly from his seat and continues viewing as he backs up, slowly making his way out of the theater and into the lobby.

Also the movie he's walking backwards down the aisle watching? It is previously mentioned that the credits are rolling so there's isn't actually anything to continue to watch/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also he finds a dead body with all its teeth knocked out and thinks to himself about how he'll need to run the dental records.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thinking about it, the whole thing feels like a book version of the "Decker" TV series from Tim Heidecker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, this book literally ends a chapter with the main character saying that "All lives matter."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is impossible to do a Let's Read of this book because the entire thing is so bizarre and poorly written that it would just be the entire novel verbatim.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man if only one native american fetishizing white guy martial artist got to live longer than he had any right to, I really would have preferred it be the Billy Jack guy

Billy Jack does get name dropped in the book. He describes a character wearing a "Billy Jack-style" flat crowned hat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

the goosebumps books were nearly all ghostwritten and looking back it's really funny how little of a poo poo everyone involved in their production gave about anything

They had a formula and they were sticking to it. I guess the assumption was that kids would only read a couple before moving on and they didn't expect someone to sit down and read through the entire series.

One twist ending I remember being egregiously bad was the one where the kid becomes best friends with an invisible alien but the twist ending was that the "alien" was human and the kid was an alien!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wait, you play as the murderer?

loving David Cage.

The weirdest thing about the game is that it actually telegraphs a different character you're playing as is the killer but it happens during blackouts so he doesn't remember actually doing it. Which leaves a huge plot hole when it turns out the other guy was doing it and there's no explanation as to why he was having suspicious blackouts and making origami (which was the killer's signature.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Karen Traviss' main thing was that she got fired from writing Star Wars books because she became really abusive towards fans online who didn't like the direction she took her books. Also for some reason she was really bad about playing nice with other authors, frequently contradicting other books' characterization.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weirdest thing about Karen Traviss and Star Wars book is that she apparently hated anything to do with the Jedi, writing them as useless dicks. Which seems like a problem when you're writing loving STAR WARS.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lumbermouth posted:

This is like Sandman Slim minus the modicum of self-awareness.

Heroin

Yeah, I was going to say, it reads like a bad parody of Sandman Slim.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jenny Nicholson did a video about this that's pretty funny. There's also a shocking twist ending!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4
If you don't want to watch an hour and a half long breakdown of the book the twist is the author William Johnstone has been dead for 15 years and the coauthor has been hiding said death, pretending that the books are just manuscripts that are being finished. Also said coauthor is a woman (specifically Johnstone's niece.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elpato posted:

I haven’t read any Dresdon stuff in many years, but I remember the protagonist getting his rear end kicked or being outsmarted all the time. This doesn’t make them good books, but at least Harry is an underdog in the books I read (the early ones).

This loving guy...

This loving guy, Nate, simply wins all his fights, outsmarts all of his opponents, and rolls with the punches with a cool head unless the author wants him to super saiyin for whatever reason.

Reminds me of the absolutely awful Sandman Slim series about a guy who gets betrayed by his magic circle and sent to Hell but he breaks out and is super cool and tough and eventually finds out that he's half angel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the terrible Rama sequels did something similar where child characters were put in suspended animation but somehow when they woke up they had adult bodies. And then one of them started having sex with actual adults.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That book SUUUUUUUUUUCKS. The comparison to Rothfuss is apt but not in a good way because the main character talks about all this cool stuff he's done in his life but you spend almost the entire book focused on a super boring story of him living on some boring planet. Also the part that should be interesting (the main character becoming a gladiator) is completely skipped over.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

there wolf posted:

Anne Rice wrote a whole series for y'all.

Anne Rice's setting is kind of weird because she makes it so that there are almost no vampires from pre-1700s. She has a thing where every vampire is connected to the first vampire and someone tried to kill the first vampire by putting her out in the sun and instead of killing her it killed almost every single other vampire.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Vampire Lestat was pretty stupid for how much it just straight up retcons everything from the first book just because fans liked Lestat better than Louis.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah JRRT was really the king of that kind of stuff. One fictional language wasn't enough, huh? Gotta pretend you're translating it from one into another? If Frodo were a real person, it would be pretty stupid and more than a little racist to try and translate the meaning instead of the sounds.

Like imagine if you met a Chinese woman and she was like "my name is Yawen" and you went "oh, okay, so I'm gonna call you Elegant Cloud or Elclow for short since that's what your name means"

Well that's what happened with the Native Americans when white people met them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

so aside from rowling and goodkind, what other (not obligatorily genre) authors got hugely successful, failed to branch out, then went back to rehashing what made them famous in the first place?

edit- the dude who wrote the cowboy wizard living in urban fantasy chicago, he branched off into Stones of Shanarra ripoffs, right? Are those still going?

Rowling apparently writes a thriller series under a pen name. This is where her really terrible opinions started to come out (other than Twitter.)

Edit: Also thread favorite bad book The Mister just got a movie deal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was reading old Sherlock Holmes stories today and while they mostly hold up I did run across one that was bizarre called "A Case of Identity." In it Sherlock and Watson meet a young woman who asks them to look into what happened to her missing fiance. She gives them her whole backstory about how her father died and her mother married a much younger man, how she gets a fairly large stipend from an uncle but since she lives at home still her mother and step-father use the money for the family. Her step-father is controlling and refuses to let her go out but one day while he was out of the country on business she went to a party hosted by friends of her deceased father and she met a young man who started courting her. He quickly asks for her hand in marriage but the day of the wedding he vanishes.

Sherlock investigates and discovers that the whole thing was the step-father and mother pulling a Victorian era catfish on the young woman with the step-father playing the fiance, just in disguise. They cooked up the scheme in order to make the daughter stay at home and not marry so they could keep getting her money. Here comes the weird part, Sherlock confronts the step-father who admits to everything but says there was nothing illegal in what he did. Sherlock agrees and lets him leave. Then Watson asks if they're going to tell the young woman what happened and Sherlock just goes nah and gives a quote about how women can't be reasoned with. That's it. There's no punishment for the step-father and no resolution to the poor young woman who thinks her fiance is missing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While it isn't killing off a character the unabridged version of Les Miserables has a long rear end section about the battle of Waterloo which is ended by mentioning a side character was there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

Terrible might be overstating it a bit, but I'm currently reading The Strain and am shocked by how boring and bland a book about a disease that turns you into a vampire is.

I was excited to find out how they'd scientifically explain vampire weaknesses that have been shown in the book (silver, staking the heart) and how they'd explain why vampires have a weird reflection in the mirror.

What I got was "oh yeah silver's a disinfectant" and "I have no idea why their reflections look like that, must just be a thing".

Just a head's up it eventually ditches the science stuff and by the third book the explanation is (major spoilers for The Strain series) a chopped up angel body caused vampires.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the TV show got there in a different way it ended mostly the same.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

This recent discussion has gotten me in the mood to read a terrible book, but only vicariously. Does anyone have any favorite Let's Read threads for bad books?

The Cult Crushers thread by Gutter Phoenix is pretty fun. The book is extremely bonkers, especially how it can't really decide if it is for or against the Nazi antagonists.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not exactly the same as a Let's Read but Jenny Nicholson has done a couple of bad book reads videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4
Jenny reads "Trigger Warning" about a bad rear end vet who takes down terrorists who take over a campus. This one is worth watching for the absolutely insane twist regarding the author.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJGm8Sj7Qn8
Jenny reads "Black Moon Rising" which is definitely not someone's slash fic about Kylo Ren and Rey from Star Wars with the names changed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's the one, because at this point why even keep up the charade?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I do in long running threads is check my post history to make sure I'm not mentioning something I've brought up before and doing it for this thread I discovered a post from 2015 about how The Kingkiller Chronicles still hasn't released the third book in the trilogy and now, five years later it still hasn't come out. Fantasy authors are the worst some times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basically if it takes longer than two years for a sequel to come out it ain't happening chief. (The exception is if the author puts out another book in that time period.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not like a terrible terrible book but a book that definitely sounded more interesting than it was is the novel Cry Pilot by Joel Dane. The book takes place several hundred years in the future where there's been wars and environmental collapse and nation states are all gone. There were previously some super intelligent AI that designed a bunch of stuff to help including a way to fix the environment, however the machinery behind the fixing sometimes runs into old weapons of mass destruction and turns them into living weapons. The main character is a refugee who wants to make up for a checkered past by joining the military but his refugee status blocks him from enlisting. So he volunteers to become a titular "cry pilot" which are basically warm bodies in a remote control vehicle with a very low (6%) survival rate but if you do survive you get to join the military (being one of the few good jobs left.)

The problem is all the stuff about the cry pilot is just like the first 5% of the book and then the rest is just a bog standard mil-sci-fi basic training story. I never finished the book so maybe it eventually went back to the cry pilot plot but I got pretty far and it didn't seem like it was going to.