Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

divabot posted:

They have in fact made and distributed bound copies and the author is seriously recruiting his minions to spam the 2016 Hugo for Best Novel with it (because spamming the Hugos, particularly after this year, is an excellent way to get people to love you and think you're anything other than a stupendous cockhead), so it'd probably actually be on-topic for this thread. Though the linked thread is the place to go.

I did read the thing to the end. Because I have no taste and most of the fiction I read is actually trashy fanfic and my inbox is filled with Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity alerts. (Mostly of Worm, which will be good once a proper editor gets to it. And I'll even confess it was HPMOR that tipped me off to Worm.) As a fanfic, HPMOR is a bloated didactic Mary-Sue that should be a third of the length, but it's pretty good for the category (because most fanfic is actually worse) and he did in fact finish it, which is rare for the category.

But I am not, as it happens, under the delusion that glitzy-surfaced nerdsniping trash, much as I enjoy the genre, is the same thing as work of literary value. HPMOR fans seriously consider it what proper literature actually is and should be. Holy crap.

It still is kind of bizarre to me that there are multiple goons that read that thing unironically, and in some cases actually enjoy reading it. I've been following the thread on it in the book barn and I don't understand how anyone can subject themselves to it unless they are actively making fun of it. I guess you're probably right that it's good for fanfiction, but that is just evidence of why nobody should be reading fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU