Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Why is Brian Herbert not in the OP or the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BigPaddy posted:

50 Shades, I mean have any of your looked at it? It is loving hilariously bad.
The writing is just terrible. I'm not saying that in an "it's cool to hate on 50 Shades" way--it really is awful. It reads like a high school girl's erotic Mary Sue fanfic.

mycot posted:

Huh, the timing of this thread matches up with the Steam thread in Games discovering the Doom novelizations (yes, they exist).
Those actually weren't terrible for YA fiction. They felt like the publisher grabbed an author who'd never played computer games, gave him the broadest of strokes about the game universe, and set him loose. "Okay Mars, demons... 'Cacodemon,' huh this guy looks weird, and he floats? I can work with that. 'Imps,' golly they're ugly, and those spikes look uncomfortable, oh they spit fire too" :allears:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ninurta posted:

gently caress you and your poo poo opinions.

Ready Player One is really bad, sorry for your lots

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Vosgian Beast posted:

When I was a teenager, I read a YA dystopian novel about a future America where everyone was obsessed with safety. Everyone had to take pills to calm their negative emotions, and sports were played at a leisurely pace, and they'd renamed the USA the "Safer States Of America". The protagonist didn't take his drugs to get ahead in a race, so he had to go to a prison camp where he has to face the threat of polar bears, but learns to play American football the way it used to be played, and finally finds true happiness. All this was presented basically entirely straight-faced.

Weirdest old-man rant book I ever saw.

Rash by Pete Hautman. A weird and bad book.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

How does one manage to get paid to write this sort of garbage? There are millions of these books written by people you've never heard of, all containing basically the same, mostly useless content mixed with terrible jokes. Do publishing companies just pay some random employee a nominal fee to put an updated version together every few years or what?

Authors like Brian Herbert gotta start somewhere

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't read any books, and I've never really been a big book reader but for whatever reason I was really into Dune in my teens and ended up reading the Brian Herbert Dune prequel trilogy about Robot Wars 10,000 years before Dune. My memory is pretty fuzzy but even back then I knew it was pure garbage, here's some of the highlights I can remember:

I didn't read the robot wars stuff, but got tricked into the other prequels. One of the many things that pissed me off about them was that in the prequels, the Baron was a gay pedophile and was also completely inept at everything, ofttimes in a comedic fashion (Look how he botched the dinner party he held! What a fool!)

For those of you who haven't read the original Dune, Baron Harkonnen is one of the antagonists, and in that book, he's renowned throughout the entire human race for being an expert manipulator, politician, tactician, and strategist. He manages to subvert someone whose lifetime of conditioning supposedly made him immune to manipulation, and is the only person in the known universe to have done so. He also convinces the space emperor to engage in some shady shenanigans on the DL with him, which nobody else could ever do. Probably one of the most ruthless and intelligent dudes in the series, and Baby Brian writes him as a loving stooge :jerkbag:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

Timely Chuck Tingle

1_chuck_red_cups.avi

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

canis minor posted:

Danielewski's Only Revolutions - while I loved House of Leaves, this is just unreadable:

As an artistic exercise, I found it fascinating--exactly 180 words per page, 360 pages, rotating the book to get both sides of the story, etc. It was a really neat concept and executed fairly well, and I like that he included his fans by asking them to compile a timeline of historical events that he had printed along the side of every page.

As a literary work, :barf:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Mar 29, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

James Rollins is good in a "dumb fun adventure story for when you can't or don't want to expend the brainpower on anything serious" kind of way. Or at least his Sigma Force novels are, which is basically Indiana Jones if instead of an archaeologist Indy was instead a team of special forces soldiers who are also scientists working for DARPA. I don't know about this vampire thing.

Are the Frank Herbert Dune sequels any good? I'm about a third of the way through reading Dune for the first time now and I'm really digging it, I can't remember if I've heard that you're supposed to avoid all its sequels or just the ones by other people.

Frank's are good. It's all (sort of) one story that spans a huge amount of time, and each novel ties in with the others well. Keep in mind, though, that he was never able to finish the story he had planned, so the sixth book ends kind of abruptly and may or may not make a lot of sense. There are dozens upon dozens of theories about what the last chapter meant and how things might've played out in hypothetical future works, but nobody knows for sure, despite what his son has said about "finding lost notes about Dune7."

Oh, by the way...

Do not under any circumstances read any of the garbage put out by his son and that fan fiction author, be they prequels, sequels, whatever. Don't do it.

Don't.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Max posted:

You should all be aware that Chuck Tingle is now an official Hugo Award Finalist for Best Short Story, "Space Raptor Butt Invasion."

http://midamericon2.org/home/hugo-awards-and-wsfs/2016-hugo-finalists/
Is this one of those situations where when prom comes around, everybody thinks it would be so funny to ironically vote for the dumpy nerd kid who exclusively wears silk shirts with dragons on them and they end up accidentally making him the prom king?

Antivehicular posted:

I just read this story, and oh my God, how are people this angry about this? It's just tribalism, right? Nobody is legitimately arguing in good faith that this story is bad enough to destroy fantasy fiction, right?
I don't understand a great many things about this world, and this is definitely one of them

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

Holy gently caress, it's awful. How the hell it got nominated for Hugo, I'll never understand.

There's some spectacularly dumb poo poo going on with the Hugo Awards this year involving MRAs or gamergate or something. I don't understand any of it because whenever someone tries to explain the situation to me, all the blood leaves my head and I black out.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

Piers Anthony claimed this chapter was a joke.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

We're allowed to discuss terrible authors, right? Because this nobody hack is suddenly getting so much attention that it crashed his blog. He's become one of the most reviled people in fiction basically overnight.

https://intheinbox.wordpress.com/2016/07/27/how-to-get-yourself-blacklisted/

drat, those monks that self-immolate ain't got poo poo on this guy

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm excited to see how this is going to play out. He's gone way too far to claim he "got hacked," and if he goes for the puppetmaster defense, I will lose my poo poo.

"I was drunk" isn't even a viable excuse because it's (more or less) coherent throughout.

"I'm trying to be edgy to get publishers' attention," maybe? Seems like a stretch in a profession where bad attention is actually bad attention.

Or is he going to double down and run with "I'm a tortured genius and you tubby plebs just can't understand my work?"

fake edit: oh god he hasn't even taken it down yet what a maroon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Guy Mann posted:

This actually annoys me even more than Wil Wheaton and Cory Doctorow showing up in Ready Player One

People read this book and thought it was good and were happy?

How?

Good lord, it's worse than "it's my birthday *every character from everything ever comes and throws a huge party*"