Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Morton Haynice posted:

The best way to experience this book is by listening to Sydnee McElroy explain the plot to her increasingly incredulous husband.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

This poo poo is hilarious.

Holy poo poo thank you for this. This is absolutely incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

pentyne posted:

My god, this is less a book and more a deep insight into the workings of Tyra Bank's mind.

It's like beautiful outsider art but done by a millionaire. I'm considering reading it myself because it's absolutely amazing.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

loquacius posted:

Also I just wrote a post in another PYF thread about Ready Player One yesterday so I'll just paste that post here

I recently reread RPO before reading Armada and this is what I posted in the Book Barn:

Vanderdeath posted:

I posted in this thread that I didn't mind Ready Player One after I immediately finished it but as the weeks went on, I kept thinking about the book and getting annoyed about it. I recently went back and re-read it, along with Armada and god-loving-drat.

Armada doubles the gently caress down on the nostalgia wank and the 1980s as viewed through a Middle Class White Man's Lens. The main character is an rear end in a top hat whose dad dies and leaves behind a bunch of dumb 80s poo poo that no kid in the middle 21st century should care about. Of course his mother is totally okay with the idea of her son trying to recreate his father's life by living an unhealthy simulacrum of it. Oh, and turns out, being good at video games - specifically one that was designed by every major video game developer (ranging from the likes of Gabe Newell to Shigeru Miyamoto and Hidetaka Miyazaki) will help save the world! Oh, and he gets enlisted into the world-saving army corps because he's so good at video games and is made a captain or some poo poo and there's an even more generic female stand-in that wants to make out with him immediately because he's so loving good at video games.

Then they fight the bad guy alien invasion, his dad shows up and had something to do with the video game (SURPRISE) and literally all of the cities along the Atlantic get hosed up by the aliens' weapons but because we win, the aliens give us cool technology to make up for it but ZACK loving LIGHTMAN, hero of the video game wars, doesn't trust 'em...perhaps they did this for nefarious purposes??? THE ? END. Also the afterword mentions that this poo poo is getting made into a loving movie so gently caress everything.

Basically, gently caress Ernest Cline's books. You can watch a middle-age white man masturbate on the internet elsewhere.

Seriously, gently caress Reddit and every other "nerd" site using Cline's books as an awful tentpole for their bullshit beliefs and justification for their lovely personalities they've carefully groomed through nostalgic consumerism. I vastly prefer Super Sad True Love Story as a near-future sci-fi story about a lonely, haughty nerd-cum-intellectual who gets the girl before everything goes to absolute poo poo

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Please tell me that's Arthur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KKYgmtqqg

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Norma Cenva was mentioned exactly one time in God Emperor of Dune, in passing by Leto II about how Tio Holzmann stole her designs and that's really it. Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert are terrible authors and I can't believe they got away with ruining something as seminal as Dune.

Vanderdeath has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

The Lone Badger posted:

You should try reading some of her other books. That aren't Tehanu.

This. Rocannon's World and The Left Hand of Darkness are good reads.