Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's probably to do with radicalised teenagers saying stupid stuff on social media and the police overreacting. But radicalisation does seem to be a growing problem as teenagers look for some kind of identity. At my private school, they've already expelled a year 7 for being continuously disruptive relating to being radicalised, and are having more problems with a Year 9 girl. Another nearby private school had two of its 6th formers head off to Syria and at least one is dead. But for the cases at my school at least, the parents have been as much as the problem as the children have been, and not willing to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Kegluneq posted:

Who else got the lightning last night? Hoooooly shiiiiiiit

I did, it was awesome, around 20-40 flashes per minute for something like half an hour (normally we get like one strike and that's it).

Very little thunder though, don't know what that's about. Combination of humidity/pressure/wind damping or carrying away the sound I guess.

Jose posted:

Newspapers should stop using Fahrenheit even if it is a bigger number

It was over 300 degrees kelvin here yesterday!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nothing to seehere posted:

It's probably to do with radicalised teenagers saying stupid stuff on social media and the police overreacting. But radicalisation does seem to be a growing problem as teenagers look for some kind of identity.
Yeah, kids have lovely opinions about things, and often say things that are way out of reasonable proportion but that they have neither the ways nor means of carrying out, or latch on to toxic ideologies. I'm not sure that the police are the best people to deal with that. There's the Prevent thing (part of CONTEST), which purports to deal with it outside of the criminal justice system, but last I heard they were harassing nonviolent leftists/anarchists too.

At my private school, they've already expelled a year 7 for being continuously disruptive relating to being radicalised, and are having more problems with a Year 9 girl.
How much of that is related to radicalization, and how much is related to being tweenagers with disruptive personalities? I'd guess it could go either way.

Another nearby private school had two of its 6th formers head off to Syria and at least one is dead. But for the cases at my school at least, the parents have been as much as the problem as the children have been, and not willing to stop it.
This is a lot more of a problem. I don't know how best to deal with that without dragging kids that are just being lovely kids through the system though. The last thing I'd want is a school-to-prison pipeline like in some US schools.

I'd be interested in the breakdown of the types of radicalization that they're picking up on and reporting. The news has mostly been talking about Islamic extremism and White/Far-Right hate groups, but as above, CONTEST has a habit of focusing on other groups.

Renaissance Robot posted:

It was over 300 degrees kelvin here yesterday!
300 kelvin. There's no degrees. :spergin:

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Serene Dragon posted:

I was awake during this and it actually got stupid scary at times, there was so much lightning and the thunder was so loud it sounded like something had exploded in the room with me. I'm not normally afraid of storms at all, but this one was pretty spectacular.

First I knew of it was a lightning bolt that made me jump up in my bed and go "The gently caress was that?!" Seemed like a huge flash of something so bright it had to be in the courtyard outside, and no accompanying thunder. The rain approaching did sound like the end of the world though.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
there's no consistent basis upon which homegrown radicalism (authentically British leftisms or anarchisms or nationalisms or greenisms) are kosher whereas foreign radicalism (assorted islamist varieties, assorted Eastern European ultranationalisms, etc.) are not, at least without weighing in on their messaging and whether or not these politics are playing to a crowd in Britain or in Dhaka

legitimacy matters. yeah, teens suck, but "my girl is sleeping with a Protestant so I'm gonna join my local PIRA gang" plays differently from "my girl is sleeping with a non-Muslim so I'm gonna join my local sharia enforcer gang" when the idiot attacks something and gets arrested. In both cases you might not know about the (literally) base motivation, but only one of the causes will have defenders in respectable society and a sympathetic rhetoric for the teen to grab on to

also worth acknowledging that "nonviolent" greenists, and anarchists have adapted to having political and violent wings that coordinate with each other; of course domestic law enforcement adapts to such innovation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

300 kelvin. There's no degrees. :spergin:

Only since 1967 you whippersnapper! :corsair:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I think obviously the important thing to do is compromise on the temperature scale issue.

Some of us like Celcius because it is derived from a physical phenomenon, some of us like farenheit for its range and familiarity, and some of us like big numbers which sell papers.

There is a very obvious solution, the Official Temperature Unit of the Communist Republic of Great Britain will be Degrees Rankine.

It starts from absolute zero and counts up in degrees farenheit, and has been in use for nearly a hundred and fifty years.

It is currently 538.5 Rankine, and I'm too hot.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Look I think obviously the important thing to do is compromise on the temperature scale issue.

Some of us like Celcius because it is derived from a physical phenomenon, some of us like farenheit for its range and familiarity, and some of us like big numbers which sell papers.

There is a very obvious solution, the Official Temperature Unit of the Communist Republic of Great Britain will be Degrees Rankine.

It starts from absolute zero and counts up in degrees farenheit, and has been in use for nearly a hundred and fifty years.

It is currently 538.5 Rankine, and I'm too hot.

I prefer the "Dead-Alive-Dead" scale. We are currently alive. If it gets hotter we may be dead.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Here's a quote from the news that everybody can enjoy!

quote:

The measure to reduce the benefits cap to £20,000 outside the South East would save tens of millions - a relatively small amount of money, according to the IFS.

However, Chancellor George Osborne is said to see it as a key political message, showing that the government is tough on welfare costs.

Tories. Tories never changes.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

KKKlean Energy posted:

Here's a quote from the news that everybody can enjoy!

Tories. Tories never changes.

"It's about sending a message"

*Forces someone to dig their own grave*

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
poo poo, now I really want to see an undertaker adopt workfare, just for that headline.

Actually, do they even still call themselves that any more? Or is it all "interment facilitation provided by a subsidiary of serco"?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 2, 2015

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
The government are considering a novel solution to the problem of people appealing against failed work capability assessments:

the BBC posted:

Sickness benefit shake-up considered

Plans to scrap part of the UK's main sickness benefit are being considered, a leaked Whitehall paper suggests.

It describes the Employment and Support Allowance as a "passive" benefit which does not "incentivise" people to find a job, and proposes abolishing the work-related activity group (WRAG) category.

If scrapped, weekly payments would drop nearly £30 from £102.15, bringing it in line with Jobseeker's Allowance.

The Department for Work and Pensions said it did not comment on leaks.

Disability charities described the leaked information as "deeply concerning".

The government is seeking to save £12bn from its welfare bill.

It is expected next week's Budget will unveil only some of its proposed cuts, with others to be announced in the autumn spending review.

The paper seen by BBC News was written by the Department for Work and Pensions before the general election in May.

It is marked "not government policy", but the BBC understands the proposals are still under consideration.

About two million people in the UK receive the Employment and Support Allowance, in some form.

It is paid out to disabled or sick people who are unable to work or need help getting back to work.

Among them is Laura Berridge, who has suffered from arthritis for three years and says she needs the extra money because of the costs of her illness.

"All of these small adaptations, the reliance on my car which is huge, the amount of petrol that I get through because I have to use my car - it's not something that I want to [do], I used to love walking, but I have to have my car now," she said.

"So, for me, it is entirely justified and to be quite honest, we couldn't cope without it."

Currently, people undergo a fit-for-work test to decide how their illness or disability affects their ability to work.

If eligible for the benefit, they are placed in either the WRAG category, and must prepare for employment, or a support group category and are not expected to work.

Those who do not meet the criteria may be given Jobseeker's Allowance of up to £73.10 a week instead.

The paper also proposes renaming the assessment tests "employment capability assessments", rather than work capability assessments, in order to focus attention on job-seeking, not benefit-seeking.

It says removing the £30 top-up for WRAG claimants would give people less reason to worry that they were getting the "wrong" outcome from their assessment.

The tests would identify claimants' strengths, rather than focus on what they could not do, and would be carried out much sooner in the application process, the paper says.

Under the plans, the government could save hundreds of millions of pounds by the end of the decade, the paper says.

Charlie Pickles from Reform, a think tank focusing on public service delivery that was co-founded by Conservative MP Nick Herbert, said the current system encourages people to stay on the benefit rather than finding work.

"We have a huge gap between disabled people's employment rate and non-disabled people's employment rate and if you are building in perverse incentives, within a benefit system, then you are encouraging people to move on to that benefit," he said.

Ministers are also understood to be considering changes to the support group category of the Employment and Support Allowance, with a possible announcement in the 8 July Budget.

A spokesman for the Department of Work and Pensions said: "This is speculation based on documents leaked before the election. We do not comment on leaked documents."

Rob Holland, from Mencap, the charity for people with learning disabilities, said the leaked information was "deeply concerning".

"Disabled people, their families and carers tell us they are extremely anxious about the government's proposal to cut £12bn from the welfare budget. They are worried where these cuts will fall and how deep they will be," he said.

"Abolishing this benefit would contradict the government's aim to halve the disability employment gap as set out in the Conservative manifesto. In addition cutting benefits to the bare minimum will prevent people seeking work effectively."

Paul Farmer, chief executive of mental health charity Mind, said: "It is insulting to suggest that people supported by ESA because they are living with illness or disability would be more likely to return to work if their benefits were cut.

"We know that most people with mental health problems want to work but face significant barriers as a result of the impact of their condition and the stigma and discrimination they often face from employers."

That's right, they're thinking of abolishing the whole Work Related Activity Group, so people can't complain about being incorrectly assessed. You can't complain about not being put into a group that doesn't exist.

The pack of absolute loving arseholes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What, undertakers?

Generally they're called Funeral Services/Care.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The government are considering a novel solution to the problem of people appealing against failed work capability assessments:

That's right, they're thinking of abolishing the whole Work Related Activity Group, so people can't complain about being incorrectly assessed. You can't complain about not being put into a group that doesn't exist.

The new Tory policy: If there's a field we're doing badly in destroy the field and pretend it never existed in the first place. Children starving? Child poverty is no longer measured, instead we see if the child is going to grow up workshy. Disability benefits? There is no longer disabled, just degrees of ability to work.

loving scum.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

What, undertakers?

Generally they're called Funeral Services/Care.

The're called Funeral Directors here.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We call them disposers of the workshy up north.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I... don't even understand how rhetoric gets to the point where one can comfortably refer to sickness benefit in term of an incentive to work when it's whole point is to help people who can't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Noxville posted:

I... don't even understand how rhetoric gets to the point where one can comfortably refer to sickness benefit in term of an incentive to work when it's whole point is to help people who can't.

Because obviously everyone on sickness isn't really sick, they're just skiving. I don't care if you're quadriplegic you've been living off the government for six months you should have got better.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
That's because you were born with a soul.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

Well, see, there's a huge difference in the employment rates between people who are able to work and people who are unable to work. This is clearly because of the perverse incentive of benefits.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The NHS referral to treatment (18 weeks) standards are dipping so much and nothing is being done that they're stopping measuring the numbers of people who receive treatment in the 18 weeks as well, except there's a requirement for them to do so in the NHS constitution so they're having to keep one measure of total waiting lists.

It's amazing the amount of ignoring reality through changing measures that the Tories are doing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

It's amazing the amount of ignoring reality through changing measures that the Tories are doing.

Not really, that part is completely understandable. The fact they're able to get away with it in the first place is the amazing thing

At least the Opposition will publicly tear them apart over thiahahaha

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Not really, that part is completely understandable. The fact they're able to get away with it in the first place is the amazing thing

At least the Opposition will publicly tear them apart over thiahahaha

Hahahaha an opposition that would take the Tories to task. What do you think this is, Scotland?

Same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are the SNP managing (or inclined) to make much coherent noise about Tory policy at the moment?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

lonelywurm posted:

Students typically finish any given grade x at age = x + 6. A fair number are a year younger, but exactly how many depends on the school board. In my experience in Canada it was about a quarter of us. There's also generally a few who are a year older, usually because they were held back.

Great. But it makes a shitload more sense to just say "The child was 10"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

Great. But it makes a shitload more sense to just say "The child was 10"
Does anybody even do that unless they're talking specifically about school?

"How're the kids doing at school?" "Great, Amy's just started Year 9/8th Grade and Rob's a freshman/erstsemester."
As opposed to:
"How old are your kids?" "14 and 18."

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010
Gotta feel guilty when you get some sweet prescription medicine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33345356

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'd say a full conservative majority is what's needed to remind everyone that these bastards are unfiltered evil but half the country seems to see that as a positive so long as someone says "Stability" every three words during a speech.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Big Sexy Jeremy Corbyn is on Question Time tonight. All you Corbynmaniacs be sure to tune in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DJT518T posted:

Gotta feel guilty when you get some sweet prescription medicine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33345356
What about the ones where the medicine is cheaper than the prescription cost?

Do they come with a "thank you for not being Scottish or Welsh" label?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Big Sexy Jeremy Corbyn is on Question Time tonight. All you Corbynmaniacs be sure to tune in.

thanks love

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
We are watching in #ukgoons on synirc. Jeremy hunt is wearing an NHS lapel pin :geno:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Not the way most NHS workers would like him to wear it since it's not in his eye socket.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Looks like EVEL has been fleshed out.

quote:

New system

The Speaker will judge which parts of a bill relate to just England, or England and Wales
An England-only committee stage will consider bills deemed "England-only in their entirety"
Membership of this committee will reflect the number of MPs each party has in England
Where sections of legislation relate only to England or England and Wales, agreement of a "Legislative Grand Committee" will be required

There will be no changes in the House of Lords, Mr Grayling said. But where Lords amendments are certified as England or England and Wales only, a "double majority" system applies, meaning it will need a majority of both the whole House of Commons and MPs representing English or English and Welsh constituencies.

Very hi-tech as well, this new system, given the comments made by the SNP about how archaic things are: "Tablet computers will be used to count MPs' votes as they walk through the voting lobbies so officials can instantly register whether they have used their veto in votes where the "double majority" rule applies."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

I tried to watch it but somehow they found two people more reactionary than Jeremy Hunt and I couldn't take it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

forkboy84 posted:

I tried to watch it but somehow they found two people more reactionary than Jeremy Hunt and I couldn't take it.

But Jeremy Corbyn :love: :3:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Prince John posted:

Looks like EVEL has been fleshed out.

Very hi-tech as well, this new system, given the comments made by the SNP about how archaic things are: "Tablet computers will be used to count MPs' votes as they walk through the voting lobbies so officials can instantly register whether they have used their veto in votes where the "double majority" rule applies."

How long before an enterprising soul writes a virus that will completely screw this up? I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to get onto the tablets, MPs are notoriously poo poo at technology.

[N.B. GCHQ, this totally isn't incitement to commit cyber terrorism, or whatever bollocks you're moaning about this week. Just go back to spying on Amnesty, nothing to see here.]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
You'd still have a record of who was registered as voting for what, so you'd be limited in how much damage you could really do with such a thing. Especially as it seems they're still physically walking into the lobbies anyway. Many other parliaments manage full electronic voting without any trouble, so using a tablet instead of a bit of paper shouldn't be too much, even for the House of Commons.

Though some enterprising hacker could get the tablets to show pictures of cocks and start swearing at you out of the speakers, if they wanted to. I'm all for that.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Angepain posted:

Though some enterprising hacker could get the tablets to show pictures of cocks and start swearing at you out of the speakers, if they wanted to. I'm all for that.

The best thing to do is to make both options for bringing back fox hunting result in vote being casted as a NO, even if you voted yes.

Actually do that for every policy we don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Why do they need a whole tablet instead of some sort of swipe card.

e: Although, I guess they all have tablets anyway.

• Locked thread