Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Huh that "goodbye" between Cenac and Stewart takes on a new meaning with Cenac's podcast recently. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Huh that "goodbye" between Cenac and Stewart takes on a new meaning with Cenac's podcast recently. gently caress

Why what happened? I haven't listened to his podcast

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Gravel Gravy posted:

It's easier to say it to the puppet. :smith:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Poison Jam posted:

Why what happened? I haven't listened to his podcast

It was Marc Maron's but basically, Jon and him really got into it to the point where the entire office was able to hear them.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Fighting or just shouting? I'm confused because the goodbye seemed genuine and awesome, I had no idea they don't get along.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Poison Jam posted:

Fighting or just shouting? I'm confused because the goodbye seemed genuine and awesome, I had no idea they don't get along.
Start here in the TDS/TNS thread, it continues into the next page

Their goodbye was definitely sadder in tone than some of the other correspondent departures I've seen so far.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Poison Jam posted:

Shouting and supposedly it was never really resolved until after he had left

And Cinac went in a bit about how he viewed Stewart as a mentor and father figure despite Stewart never feeling that so the scripted line of "super proud, great correspondent, well miss him thing" and Cinacs "really , do you mean it?" seemed even worse

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

pwn posted:

I wish I could crack the code the CC S&P uses for censorship on TDS. Most of the time "bullshit" is bleeped, but there's been 2 episodes I've seen where it goes freely used, multiple times in a segment.

The only thing I've noticed for certain, if there's an extended interview, none of the episode will be censored.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Jon talking to Jessica Chastain about Zero Dark Thirty, saying how he wants to write a script.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006
Hopefully this hasn't been brought up already – I searched the thread around the time it would have come up in the stream, but there appears to be no mention of it and I'm pretty sure it was deleted even from the earliest reruns on television, Conspiracy Theory Rock-style:

I've been looking for a particular clip from The Daily Show that I haven't seen since it was first broadcast, almost 11 years ago. The setup: Jennifer Love Hewitt came on the show to promote Garfield: The Movie. Jon apparently had no idea what to talk about, because he hated the movie so much he couldn't discuss it without being insulting. In the course of the interview, he asked why they were even bothering with a Garfield movie in 2004, openly mused that Bill Murray must be a whore for money to participate in it, and called Hewitt's chihuahua morbidly obese before suggesting his dog could eat it in a taco.

The interview's not what I'm looking for, because that's easy enough to find on their website: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ckiyji/jennifer-love-hewitt

What I'm looking for is the complete following segment, when they came back from the commercial, just before the Moment of Zen. Jon clearly felt bad about being so mean to Hewitt, and attempted to apologize while encouraging the audience to go see the movie... but he couldn't force himself to complete the thought, and instead continued insulting the movie before concluding with something like "gently caress it, don't waste your money."

If you view the associated Moment of Zen clip on the official website, you'll notice that it starts abruptly in the middle of Stewart talking, with whatever he said prior to that suspiciously absent: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/00ml0i/moment-of-zen---we-be-back-in-charge

Does anybody else remember this? Can anyone confirm it did indeed happen?

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 1, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I can't find the clip but this confirms it did happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKzaeoplN8

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Haha it must be weird to lose control over the Garfield movie but be able to keep a straight face with people like, I don't know, John Yoo.

But you know what was good was the Chris Matthews one, when John just ripped the whole notion of that "live every day of your life like a campaign" book.

Oh they mention it in that video up there ^^^

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 1, 2015

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
So is the stream done showing commercials, because each break so far has been a silent "be right back" message and it is so much more pleasant

pwn
May 27, 2004

So it's not just me. Yeah all day there's been no commercials.

About the Zen clip: The few clips I've seen are edited that way. I don't care for watching the show that way, which is why I haven't watched many clips on the site. But from what I've seen, that's the way most of the clips are. Some, like clips from the no-audience episode from March 1999, they leave in the commercial transitions, but others are crudely edited. It drives my OCD nuts to try and watch episodes that way.

So appreciate the gently caress out of the stream. Hopefully maybe they'll start it over again for the six weeks between Stewart and Noah. I missed all of 1999 and 2000.

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 1, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
"It's as though a bomb had dropped somewhere."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The Jason Jones Hostage/Government Shutdown segment is amazing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hi I'm Malcolm Gladwell, here's my latest book Correlation Equals Causation. I'm considered a leading intellectual by all my Ted Talk friends.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Reminder: this NC GOP official left because of this segment.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gop-chair-loses-job-after-racist-daily-show-interview/

quote:

Well, that didn’t take long. Less than 24 hours after he appeared on The Daily Show to defend a new voter-ID law North Carolina county precinct GOP chair Don Yelton has resigned from his post. And according to a party spokesman, it was a direct result of the interview.

“Yes, he has resigned,” said Nathan West, a spokesman for the Buncombe County Republican Party. According to Business Insider, West said that the party asked for Yelton’s resignation in “direct response to the interview.”

So what did Yelton say in his interview with The Daily Show’s Aasif Mandvi that was so objectionable? He insisted that the voter-ID law is “not racist” before admitting that he’s been called a “bigot” in the past. He defended a picture of President Obama “sitting on a stump as a witch doctor” as making fun of the “white half” of the president. He said if the law “hurts a bunch of lazy blacks who just want the government to give them everything, so be it.”

When Yelton started throwing around the “n-word” and complaining that only black people are allowed to use it, Mandvi stopped him to ask, “You know that we can hear you, right?” It only made things worse that Yelton’s ignorance was presented in contrast to the reasoned arguments of Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), the historic civil rights leader, who marched with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

In a statement, the Buncombe County GOP said, “Mr. Yelton’s comments are offensive, uniformed, and unacceptable of any member within the Republican Party. In no way are his comments representative of the local or state Republican Party.”

UPDATE, Friday, 1:20 p.m. ET: Yelton went on the radio in Western North Carolina on Friday morning and expressed no remorse for his comments, instead calling the GOP “gutless.” Listen to that HERE.

EDIT: This segment about the Hoboken mayor's diary is possibly my favorite segment in TDS history.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 3, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh, looks like we're up to the run of episodes where that one dude in the audience has the worst laugh.

Is this post Jon Oliver's run?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh, looks like we're up to the run of episodes where that one dude in the audience has the worst laugh.

Is this post Jon Oliver's run?

If it's past Summer 2013 then yes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Reince Priebus is a very unpleasant person to look at.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

comes along bort posted:

John Cleese: the palate cleanser?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

comes along bort posted:

"Reince Priebus" sounds more like the name of either a venereal disease, or one of Jabba the Hutt's entourage, than the name of a real person.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 5, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Reince Priebus went to high school with a friend of mine. He's quite fond of the time Priebus got his rear end kicked inbetween classes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Deep Hurting posted:

"Reince Priebus" sounds more like the name of either a venereal disease, or one of Jabba the Hutt's entourage, than the name of a real person.

Or as Charles Pierce refers to him, obvious anagram.

pwn
May 27, 2004

May 14: It always brightens my day when Stewart mimics W's laugh.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Coming up, the last 11 episodes. We're nearing the end of the marathon.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

pwn posted:

Coming up, the last 11 episodes. We're nearing the end of the marathon.

IT'S ALL COMING TO AN END TONIGHT WHYYYYYYYY

pwn
May 27, 2004

I've been a screen grabbin' fool for the last month. Didn't start until 2002 or so. here is the first of a few big dumps of memorable screens previously unposted

pwn
May 27, 2004

Dump #2, 2005-2006 (shots of much older episodes are from the recurring "10 loving Years" retrospectives in 2006)

pwn
May 27, 2004

2007-2008

pwn
May 27, 2004

2008-2009

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Thanks for watching your Month of Zen

:(

pwn
May 27, 2004

2010 and HD

pwn
May 27, 2004

2011-2012

pwn
May 27, 2004

2012-2014

pwn
May 27, 2004

2015 (excluding the final episode)

pwn
May 27, 2004

BONUS: :siren: Too hot for posting :siren:

Clicking that will take you to a gallery of some crude sight gags, primarily from the Anthony Weiner scandal and the 2012 Olympics. Some are :nws: and most are borderline, I decided it was best to put 'em all together in one hot load.

stanovich
Feb 9, 2015
^^ That's excellent.

I spent the past six weeks editing the schedule spreadsheet. This thread's awesome and sorta makes me feel like I did something worthwhile with my spare time. Cheers, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
gently caress, that finale was a little heartbreaking. Pretty much all of my formative years were spent with a small thought somewhere in my brain of "Oh, I wonder what Jon will say about [news event]," and it was genuinely sad to feel that come to an end. Epic last show though, and it was fun to have watched a lot of the old shows throughout the last month and then see the aged versions of long-past correspondents pop up during the finale's first segment.

• Locked thread