Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Prison Warden posted:

Let's Read Diamond is Unbreakable

If this is successful and we make it to Part 6, can we use the "Florida Woman/Man" for that one's set-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dub previews! Some Speedwagon and Joseph has a British accent

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

When's the bluray :C

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
British-Accented JYB as Jonathan and British-Accented Ben Diskin as Joseph, this is loving godlike.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I would have preferred British-accented Yuri Lowenthal as Jonathon but I'm still happy with it. JYB is cool but I figured he would have been Speedwagon. Apparently Bryce Pappenbrook is going to be Cesar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress yuri lowenthal, jonathan needs to sound powerful and jyb is powerful

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Joseph sounds like adult Numbah 1, and it's pretty cool.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Fair enough. I still want Liam O'brien in there somewhere. Kars

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Beef Chief posted:

gently caress yuri lowenthal, jonathan needs to sound powerful and jyb is powerful

What you meant is Jonathan should have been Brian Blessed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkGIpmrYJo

DIO should also be Brian Blessed.
As should everyone include Erina.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Aurain posted:

Everyone should be Brian Blessed.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

EVEN SPEEDWAGON SHOULD BE BRIAN BLESSED

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Regarding Diamond is unbreakable let's read, I'm on chapter 411 of part 4, What the hell is with Araki and naked children with an adult scenes? drat. Stop it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Regarding Diamond is unbreakable let's read, I'm on chapter 411 of part 4, What the hell is with Araki and naked children with an adult scenes? drat. Stop it.
That's a Japanese thing and it's very weird and disturbing by our standards but over there the connotations aren't quite the same. It's probably more to show innocence and purity rather than anything remotely sexual about it. I don't like it and wish it would go away too, but it is what it is.

A pretty good video showing what things look like to outsiders during The World.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK77U7ACc8I

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh that scene

Aurain posted:

It's probably more to show innocence and purity rather than anything remotely sexual about it.

Well yeah kind of. The point of that scene is obviously to make you feel very uncomfortable, and you're probably supposed to get an impression of a pretty heavy violation of personal space rather than any kind of "sexual tension" or whatever. Of course the scene plays on the reader's expectations though, be they Japanese or American or whoever.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's just bathing with family.

I mean the trope, not the fact that it is Kira bathing with a child.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 4, 2015

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Desperado Bones posted:

Kira's not the most mentally adjusted person, in case you didn't catch on.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The scene ends witha guy killing a small child. So I think it's absolutely meant to come across as pretty hosed up.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is the Japanese voice actor for Joseph putting on some ridiculous posh accent as well, which i can't pick up on since i don't speak Japanese? His Japanese voice sounded like he was a bit of a clown rather than some posh guy like that dub. It doesn't match the personality of the original.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Is it weird that I feel like how Jonathan was dubbed in the abridged series sounds more natural than the actual dub? JYB sounds great, don't get me wrong, but Abridged Jonathan sounds closer to what I pictured him sounding like. He's powerful, but he's supposed to sound "soft" to contrast with what he looks like.

No complaints about Seitz or Diskin, though.

CJ posted:

Is the Japanese voice actor for Joseph putting on some ridiculous posh accent as well, which i can't pick up on since i don't speak Japanese? His Japanese voice sounded like he was a bit of a clown rather than some posh guy like that dub. It doesn't match the personality of the original.

I was wondering this too for awhile? Sugita's doing something weird with his Japanese but I can't really put a finger on what that is. Overemphasizing things to sound annoying on purpose?

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 4, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sugita's weird thing he's doing is being sugita

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

It's not weird at all for parents and young children to bathe together in Japan and other parts of Asia, so that scene is more loving with what's supposed to be a normal parent-child interaction (you thought he was your dad, but it was actually a serial killer! and he's going to kill YOU!), but not in a sexual way.

Also I guess it plays on the whole "fear of bad poo poo going down while you're in the bathroom naked and defenseless" thing?

edit: I forgot this was the let's read part 4 thread! sorry!

CJ posted:

It was pretty much Sugita being Sugita as hell, so yeah a complete doofus

standard owl fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 4, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sugita rules. He's probably my favourite VA even though I can't understand him.

Edit: all normies in here watch Gintama if you want more Sugita.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sugita is also Mr.Satan in Dragon Ball Kai (and probably Super).

He's the best by default.

e: No, I was thinking of Oldseph.
Sugita is not the best, sorry.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aurain posted:

Sugita is also Mr.Satan in Dragon Ball Kai (and probably Super).

He's the best by default.

WAIT WHAT

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I got the V.A's for Oldseph and Youngseph mixed up and realised a moment after pressing post.

The good news is that Oldseph and Satan are the same dude though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Aurain posted:

Sugita is not the best, sorry.

What does it feel like to be so wrong?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It happens a lot, so I'm used to it.

I am totally not wrong here though.
Koyasu and Ishizuka are the best VAs in JoJo. :colbert:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I realized Kakyoin and Rei from Free! were the same VA when I was watching both shows at the same time and that became real hard to unhear at times.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Have they announced who's playing Speedwagon yet? Everyone's just talking about every other character and ignoring the best one

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Guest starring Speedwagon as himself.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Aurain posted:

It happens a lot, so I'm used to it.

I am totally not wrong here though.
Koyasu and Ishizuka are the best VAs in JoJo. :colbert:

I guess #3 in the OP was going to happen after all.

What in the gently caress is wrong with you. There are so many things wrong with what you said that I don't even know where to start. Especially Koyasu being the best VA in the show when he's doing the same voice he does in literally everything he's in. It only works because Dio is hammy as gently caress in the source material not because Koyasu is good.

There's also the fact that Unshou Ishizuka doesn't do the voice he's known for and that people probably expected for Joseph. But that's pretty minor I suppose.

Sugita was 100% the most perfect casting possible for Joseph and if you can't see it I can only assume you're pretending to be retarded.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 4, 2015

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

wow

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rule 3 is supposed to be that I get mad at him, not him getting mad at me? I don't get it.

e: vvv I see, that's cool.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 4, 2015

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Aurain posted:

Rule 3 is supposed to be that I get mad at him, not him getting mad at me? I don't get it.

Me saying mean things you dork.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
Went to AX yesterday for some anime and instead I found some ITALIAN FOOD!!!

Also found this great Kars cosplayer who I got a photo of fighting her as Joseph Joestar.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cool and good

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Angry nerds on the Internet. What a surprise.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Aurain posted:

That's a Japanese thing and it's very weird and disturbing by our standards but over there the connotations aren't quite the same. It's probably more to show innocence and purity rather than

I know that, it is a bit common as well over here in my country. Well, at least it was because I have memories of bathing with my mother when I was a toddler. What freaks me out is the way it's played. Polnareff snuggling against a woman's boobs, Kira getting too close and...err...creepy . But I do get what the message of such scenes is.

Moltrey posted:

I realized Kakyoin and Rei from Free! were the same VA when I was watching both shows at the same time and that became real hard to unhear at times.

:swoon: I had a huge smile when I found out that.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I thought the scene with Poleneraff was creepy because of how it was presented. It was super uncomfortable to watch.

The other scene though, I thought it was perfect, because of how hosed up it was. It made you really hate him that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Diamond is Unbreakable is the best arc in any manga imo

• Locked thread