Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm so excited. DiU has such a strong like introductory chapter, it's gonna be a really good first episode you guys :holy:

Anime will actually begin with POV of a turtle instead of Koichi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
gasp gasp gasp

I am here, caught up on the thread and hella hype!

Shiiiit I owe ya'll a let's read! While I'm back in action though, any thoughts on any neato anime vs manga analysis I can do while we're here? I'm hype to get back on Jojos now that vidya has slowed down. (Guess who had a table at SXSW :smuggo:) additionally, someone not from SA has sent me some cool materials about the Taiwanese translation that was used to make the Duwang scans so I'll review those and have those up for everyone soon.

Once the anime has started, I'm wondering if it would be more entertaining to pivot the let's read to focus on comparing the episodes with the manga. Thoughts? Or should I carry on as I have. I have to admit everything I've done has been quite "labor intensive" so I'm pretty sure I'll fall behind the anime in no time. (Great, that's embarrassing.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Do whatever you find most enjoyable. Not exactly the most helpful comment but if you're enjoying what you do, you'll want to do it more often and you'll probably do it even better.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

gasp gasp gasp

Shiiiit I owe ya'll a let's read! While I'm back in action though, any thoughts on any neato anime vs manga analysis I can do while we're here? I'm hype to get back on Jojos now that vidya has slowed down. (Guess who had a table at SXSW :smuggo:) additionally, someone not from SA has sent me some cool materials about the Taiwanese translation that was used to make the Duwang scans so I'll review those and have those up for everyone soon.

Once the anime has started, I'm wondering if it would be more entertaining to pivot the let's read to focus on comparing the episodes with the manga. Thoughts? Or should I carry on as I have. I have to admit everything I've done has been quite "labor intensive" so I'm pretty sure I'll fall behind the anime in no time. (Great, that's embarrassing.)

Your work so far has been GREAT, so I say that you just do whatever the hell you feel like.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Xibanya posted:

gasp gasp gasp

Oh, uh, if you never figured this out, I was wrong when I said the Duwang translation was sourced from Tong Li's translation. If you actually look at the cover pages from the scans, you'll see it's actually JOJO冒險野郎 (Jojo: Adventure Guy), published by Daran Comic. Sorry about that. It may be out of print, by the way, and Tong Li may use a different translation. The names of stands are different, at least.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Xibanya posted:

gasp gasp gasp

Your work so far has been great. Personally, I'd like you to go on as you did, because I had never really given much thought about composition or evoking certain effects/emotions in comic books before and I'm really interested in that kind of thing. But I'd certainly also enjoy a comparison, so just do whatever you like most. Maybe switch it up; if there are large differences between the two, go more in depth about that. If not, you can always just analyze the manga itself and touch upon the anime where interesting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This thread is remarkably inactive for a Friday.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There's two other threads to talk about how good the episode was, is why

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Xibanya posted:

gasp gasp gasp

Please, please keep doing your let's reads! Your analysis gives me life. I'm thinking of rereading the manga alongside the show anyway, and your insights really add to the story.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

El Burbo posted:

There's two other threads to talk about how good the episode was, is why

yeah, there's literally a new thread for arc 4 anime for the anime-only people and the general thread for more detailed topics

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah the thread title should probably have "anime thread" edited out but I hope the Let's Read continues!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've been meaning to make that change to the title anyway so thanks for reminding me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's room for a *chew* at the start there

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly, once the anime surpasses where we are in the Let's Read, I'll probably shut this thread down for good and merge the two again.

We don't need three different Jojo threads long-term.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All threads should be JoJo threads.

At the very least, the anime thread needs a *chew* once beautiful duwang has happened in the anime.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Honestly, once the anime surpasses where we are in the Let's Read, I'll probably shut this thread down for good and merge the two again.

We don't need three different Jojo threads long-term.

You're right we need 4

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I found a video on YouTube that does the comparison thing I mention if you need some inspiration for how it would go, Xib.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN8vd5sKI0k

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The intro is a full minute long ewww

Also, this person's using Crunchyroll's subs rather than the fansubs that aren't duwang and there are differences and errors somewhat (in both) and can't speak Japanese so really, you'd need to be able to speak/read the language to truly see how faithful it is. Not to poo poo on their efforts, rather, I'm not sure there's a lot of intrinsic worth in something that analyses dialogue comparing translation to translation rather than source to source. It ought to stick to panel make up and clear story removals/additions.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 4, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Holy crap you guys I’m so so so sorry for the delay. This Let’s Read is still important to me and fun for me and I really appreciate everyone’s patience. To make up for it, please enjoy this picture of me posing at SXSW, which is what I was doing instead of writing this Let's Read :downs:

JJBA Chapter 293
Chapter 28 of Diamond is Unbreakable
Surface V

Translation: Invincible Trio

As always, if you missed a previous entry, you can get caught up riiiight here! https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/lets-read-jjba/

Jotaro reads the newspaper while seated at a bench at the main plaza of the Morioh Station.
The composition here is interesting because it very strongly leads the eye to the white space on the left side of the panel, the opposite side that the audience should be reading in. The framing is so strong that it’s surely deliberate. I have a few theories on why this was done: first, to increase tension by forcing the reader to read opposite what seems comfortable, and second, to create a sense of expectation - the empty space feels, well, empty, so the scene feels incomplete. From Jotaro’s point of view this is surely the case, as he’s waiting for Josuke. From our point of view, we agree - Hazamada and Surface will be arriving any moment now.

Wanna point out that Jotaro is also comically large in relation to the bench here. Araki has been playing fast and loose with Jotaro’s relative size for ages now, but he’s doing so not because he hasn’t got a model sheet or doesn’t care - it’s more important that we see Jotaro as a man living in a world that wasn’t made to accommodate his size (:heysexy:) than we try to work out how big anything is relative to his height, which is a “known” quantity due to character bio pages and the like.

So yeah, not a new observation, but yes, Jotaro is larger than life. Not only does he have neato powers that most mortal folk don’t have, he’s the protagonist of the previous story, so he’s “large” in the lore too.

Meanwhile, Josuke and Koichi are following Hazamada from a safe distance, sight unseen. They happen upon the aftermath of the hyperviolent scene that took place at the end of the previous chapter. (That delightful scene in which Hazamada brutalized some dudes for comparing him to a cricket.)
“He’s doing whatever he wants with your impersonation!” Koichi’s sweating bullets here (also appears to be leaning diagonally for some reason.)

“Yeah he sure is…” Josuke says looking mildly inconvenienced. “What do we do with Hazamada now, I wonder…” Koichi expresses incredulity that Josuke doesn’t seem to be worked up at all.

Koichi explains - with a slickly drafted visual aid - how Hazamada will arrive at the station and encounter Jotaro.

It’s always interesting to see how Araki combines storytelling through symbols (stuff you aren’t supposed to take literally, like Jotaro’s size relative to the bench) with storytelling through worldbuilding (this map here implying that Morioh has a stable, internally consistent street plan.)

At any rate, Josuke’s definitely rockin’ the :supaburn:

He then puts an arm around Koichi and begins to relate to him (but not us!) what will surely be a cunning plan.

We cut to Hazamada and Surface - Hazamada asks Surface if they’re being followed but Surface hasn’t seen any sign of Josuke or Koichi.

They suddenly hear the sound of a train coming. Hazamada lets Surface know that with the fastest path to the station blocked by the passing train, they’ll have to take a detour. They hurry off towards their alternate route.

AAAAahh Koichi did it!

I actually didn’t expect that. Nicely done!

From the pedestrian bridge above the street he had just scampered from, Hazamada spots Josuke and Koichi dashing across the train-free tracks and on towards the station. While this would make anyone do a double take, we are once again treated to signs of a deeper freakout on the part of Hazamada.

Meanwhile…

Heh, I like this scene transition - it has a lot of impact. We just immediately get all up in Jotaro’s face. It’s almost startling. It leaves the impression that Jotaro didn’t watch Josuke and Koichi approach, he just looked up from the paper and suddenly noticed them.

While he’s not aware of the severity of the danger he’s in, he’s waiting on some critical intel, so he was probably somewhat anxiously awaiting Our Heroes’ arrival.

Koichi and Josuke get Jotaro caught up on the day’s events as Hazamada arrives looking dead tired.

drat, he looks like a fuckin’ zombie. Well, so driven over the edge that he seems to have lost his humanity. He looks crazy enough to do all kinds of hosed up poo poo. (Narratively, these panels raise the stakes.)

Incidentally, this is hilarious:

As Josuke gives Jotaro the full story, he nonchalantly grabs a pen from Jotaro’s jacket.

Uh ohhhhhhhhh

”Why the hell am I holding a pen?” wonders Josuke. Why did I….take this pen from Jotaro’s coat pocket?!

Jotaro seems kind of...not concerned. Particularly after hearing what Hazamada can do. And Koichi too, what the hell? I thought he was being set up to be reasonably perceptive!

But for Hazamada to be controlling Josuke again with Surface, he’d have to be somewhere nearb-

Oh poo poo.

Whoa,

Looks like Surface can control Josuke’s facial expressions. Don’t think I need to explain why that’s unsettling.

As Josuke fights Surface’s control, Hazamada takes the time to have a nice internal monologue. gently caress it, I ain’t typin’ that poo poo out.

This manga is so loving good. :allears:

Hazamada’s insecurity led him to mistreat those biker guys which led them to return the favor, which led to him failing to succeed at his goal - the goal at this point having shifted away from any kind of practical villainy and into attempting to assuage his deeply set insecurity.

Hahaha, Josuke seems calm but he’s avoiding Jotaro’s gaze. This implies to me that he was pretty sure they were hosed. Koichi’s drowsy expression here makes me forgive him a bit since it seems to imply that the last several pages happened over the course of like, maybe two seconds.

Our eyes are invited to linger on this panel by its size and spare black background.

Looks like that blow to the noggin’ was enough to disrupt Hazamada’s ability to project his stand power.

The two biker guys explain that Josuke healed them and told them where Hazamada was heading. Ahh, so this was Josuke’s plan this whole time! I retroactively change my interpretation of his dodging Jotaro’s glance from “I didn’t have a plan and thought we were hosed” to “I was depending on an extremely risky gamble to survive this and I thought it didn’t work out and we were hosed.” Heh.

Oh yeah so then they presumably go on to beat the poo poo out of Hazamada.

Well, all’s well that ends well, right Josuke?

“Well, guess I’ll just break his doll-thing too. It’ll make me feel better.”

A few Dora Dora’s and Surface is in pieces.

Meanwhile…

Postscript
drat this was a really well-written story. Great themes, great art, and we get a lot of really great moments that show us more facets of Josuke and Koichi. Also, yay I got back on the Let’s Read train! Gonna hear ya’ll’s thoughts, sum up this arc, then move on to Yukako’s Love. It’s good to be back!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I've always loved the way Araki draws blood and gore. Just look at that hit Hazamada takes: the way the blood just soars out of him when he gets hit by the helmet manages to be both comically absurd and deadly serious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nice that your back. Looking forward to more of this stuff.

I enjoy Surface it's just a fun little arc.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've always loved the way Araki draws blood and gore. Just look at that hit Hazamada takes: the way the blood just soars out of him when he gets hit by the helmet manages to be both comically absurd and deadly serious.

Araki does that thing where every single wound, regardless of how deep or serious, splutters out blood like a fountain. It is great, although a bit counter-productive for telling how serious an injury was.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dias posted:

Araki does that thing where every single wound, regardless of how deep or serious, splutters out blood like a fountain. It is great, although a bit counter-productive for telling how serious an injury was.

Generally you can figure it out from context, but yeah sometimes it can be hard to tell from one panel just how much someone got hurt.

Then again I'm still used to Bleach, where people don't sell hits that should have by all means bisected them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Koichi using Echoes on the train track was the moment Part 4 went from having a sizeable chunk of my interest to having my full attention. Koichi's little sound effect turtle baby being a critical part in winning this exchange was such a great change of pace from Part 3 and got a good "gently caress, I did not think of solution, but it 100% totally works" out of me. Some good poo poo compared to how Echoes' introduction chapter was resolved.

Also Josuke clinching this fight not through any beatdown of his own, but kindness through helping those bikers is cool for thematic and character reasons

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Well, I seem to have picked the perfect time to have finished re-reading those effort posts.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

Koichi using Echoes on the train track was the moment Part 4 went from having a sizeable chunk of my interest to having my full attention. Koichi's little sound effect turtle baby being a critical part in winning this exchange was such a great change of pace from Part 3 and got a good "gently caress, I did not think of solution, but it 100% totally works" out of me. Some good poo poo compared to how Echoes' introduction chapter was resolved.

Also Josuke clinching this fight not through any beatdown of his own, but kindness through helping those bikers is cool for thematic and character reasons

Yeah, I really like how helpful Echoes is fighting Surface, in really clever and creative ways. It's such a step up from the introduction. I know I was pretty obtuse the last time it got brought up but introducing it by having Koichi essentially shout his way to victory still doesn't sit right. It just seems so... inelegant.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yeah, I really like how helpful Echoes is fighting Surface, in really clever and creative ways. It's such a step up from the introduction. I know I was pretty obtuse the last time it got brought up but introducing it by having Koichi essentially shout his way to victory still doesn't sit right. It just seems so... inelegant.

I stand (heh) by my original statement about Echoes - it is kinda broken.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Now see, this was a much better outing for Koichi and Echoes. I have to notice, though, that he didn't go Super Saiyan while using Echoes this time around.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Xibanya it's great to have you back and your writeups are still good.

Did I say good? I meant Good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm glad this is still a thing.

Once the anime overtakes the Surface chapters, however, I might have us all move over to the new thread.

I have nothing to add to Xibanya's analysis at this time. It's a strong reading of a strong conclusion to a strong fight.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I like that chapter a lot because it's definitely scary and all but has subtle comedic moments that work well. The pen grab is just really funny to me somehow.

I'm glad you're back, too!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

It is pretty rough, but I still appreciated the application of his power going from Making A Man Lose His Mind to Making His Mom Believe Him. I honestly didn't see much use of Echoes past driving people crazy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xibanya posted:

Oh yeah so then they presumably go on to beat the poo poo out of Hazamada.

I, uh. Not to take this thread in an unnecessarily dark direction, but they're probably doing something significantly worse than beating him up if they're dragging him off to "the shitters," given that they were apparently okay with smashing his face in broad daylight. :stare:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Moltrey posted:

It is pretty rough, but I still appreciated the application of his power going from Making A Man Lose His Mind to Making His Mom Believe Him. I honestly didn't see much use of Echoes past driving people crazy.

I would say that's a pretty drat useful power that would work on literally any human if Koichi really felt like doing it.

The way he won was more about him having the confidence to stand up to a weirdo and assert that he is, in fact, strong (and also a good boy). It wasn't just Koichi yelling at the top of his lungs in defiance.

bondster
May 6, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I, uh. Not to take this thread in an unnecessarily dark direction, but they're probably doing something significantly worse than beating him up if they're dragging him off to "the shitters," given that they were apparently okay with smashing his face in broad daylight. :stare:

Eh, they probably just want to continually beat the poo poo out of him and don't want to be spotted by anyone, especially cops. Like one hit is fine, but any more and one of them would probably need to keep an eye out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They're just going to beat him up and maybe give him a swirlie. I seriously doubt Josuke would be fine with the alternative.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hazamada didn't get raped, you weirdo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the next little bit is definitely going to be interesting in terms of koichi getting some characterization. that and what went on in the events of surface are good at pointing out that he exists as more than just a walking infodump, which is definitely necessary since he starts things out as being the speedwagon of morioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They're just going to beat him up and maybe give him a swirlie.

They're gonna give him the Kakyoin Special.

• Locked thread