Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm so pumped, you guys. It's only 8 days until FRIDAY

The final week of March turned out real good for me between Jojo coming soon and being able to play Earthbound on my 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Man...Jotaro has one cool new dad

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=093L6uzL4xI

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i think the fujoshis are gonna really enjoy that hayato-kira bathouse scene :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From what I've seen, most of the BL pairings for DiU are extremely by the numbers. Josuke/Okuyasu or Rohan, Josuke/Jotaro, Jotaro/Rohan. They usually act like they're the cast of clueless or those sweet 16 reality shows or whatever too despite 3 of those dudes being like 90% machismo and Rohan, who could give less of a gently caress about anyone who isn't himself of Koichi.

To be fair though, the JoJo fandom as a whole has a bad time separating their head-canon from reality. You're hard pushed to find anything that paints Kakyoin as anything other than a pure little boy who cries at anything and loves being princess carried, rather than a dude who feeds babies poo poo and hits on women and your mom. Kakyoin's the extreme example of it, but it's prevalent as a whole. DIO being wrong is another head-canon gone wrong. *cough*

There's an interview where someone insists that there's a romantic aspect to Josuke and Jotaro to Araki up on JoJo's wiki and he's like ":catstare: okay i'm just going to be polite about this."

http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Hirohiko_Araki/Interviews Eureka 2007 tab, but be careful for spoilers as a whole on this page.

I think Shotacon things like anything involving Hayato would probably be more underground and less paraded about in fandom.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 24, 2016

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's really easy to draw homoeroticism from jojo but I feel like araki's going for a more greek tragedy style of "I LOVE YOU, MY FRIEND" kind of thing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jojo is fabulous as all hell, but I never really got "gay" from it because everyone is Macho As gently caress (except for Dio but Dio is a vampire) 24/7. Even that "band of brothers' love" thing is somewhat understated compared to other media.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Diamond is Unbreakable does a really good job of portraying a male friendships. They bro the gently caress out, fight for each other, sometimes fight with each other and sometimes slip the sly little dig at each other into the conversation. They're also well meaning but they want to come across as rough around the edges too, they're "yanki" boys in the end.

Like with how Araki written them, you know that Josuke would call Okuyasu dumb and laugh at him getting an F on his homework for the banter, but if someone who isn't Okuyasu's boy said that, it'd be go time, they'd get DORA'd. They'd give Koichi some poo poo for not being a deliquent like themselves, for being short and for being a nerd but someone picks on him and they'd protect him before Koichi finished his sentence. (He's got a stand so he wouldn't need it, sure, but that's the kind of boys they are).

On the flip side, you see art with them sharing scarves, hugging, going clothes shopping or whatever and yeah, it's cute because they're the best brojos of all time, but they're not those kinds of characters and for fanart to really succeed for my money, it has to also remain faithful to the characters unless it's just obvious that they're not aiming for it.

Dias posted:

Jojo is fabulous as all hell, but I never really got "gay" from it because everyone is Macho As gently caress (except for Dio but Dio is a vampire) 24/7. Even that "band of brothers' love" thing is somewhat understated compared to other media.

Even DIO's macho in his own way. He's an extremely commanding presence and demands the respect of those around him with it. He dresses a lot more flamboyantly than most characters (though his jewellery isn't especially more flashy than Josuke's for example) but his character is written to be macho and that comes across pretty well too. Most of DIO's more homoerotic parts that people tend to class him as "gay" with are post script in the end, like all of Part 4 onwards.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 24, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This is similar to how I feel about JoJos and machismo. It's a very masculine thing, the characters are trim and muscular (not bodybuilders, but STR wasn't their dump stat by any stretch), engaging in traditional macho pasttimes (fighting), but without a lot of the trappings of modern masculinity. A lot of guys now (or even in 1990) wouldn't own $2k clothes (Jotaro in Part 3 does), because CLOTHES ARE 4 GIRLS (not that I agree), whereas JJBA revels in that kind of extravagance.
Reminds me a bit of what little that I've read from Victorian stuff (maybe it's just that I'm reading Pride and Prejudice now), or even later stuff (Downton Abbey for example). Like, Josuke isn't "well-tailored" as an explicit gently caress-you to anyone, it's just that the notion that men who take such good care in their appearance doesn't seem to exist in JoJo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Even DIO's macho in his own way. He's an extremely commanding presence and demands the respect of those around him with it. He dresses a lot more flamboyantly than most characters (though his jewellery isn't especially more flashy than Josuke's for example) but his character is written to be macho and that comes across pretty well too. Most of DIO's more homoerotic parts that people tend to class him as "gay" with are post script in the end, like all of Part 4 onwards.

Sure, my point is more that the modern depiction of vampires is about seduction, regardless of sexuality. He's commanding, but it's not through posturing, he's the superior being that everyone should love.

Serperoth posted:

This is similar to how I feel about JoJos and machismo. It's a very masculine thing, the characters are trim and muscular (not bodybuilders, but STR wasn't their dump stat by any stretch), engaging in traditional macho pasttimes (fighting), but without a lot of the trappings of modern masculinity. A lot of guys now (or even in 1990) wouldn't own $2k clothes (Jotaro in Part 3 does), because CLOTHES ARE 4 GIRLS (not that I agree), whereas JJBA revels in that kind of extravagance.
Reminds me a bit of what little that I've read from Victorian stuff (maybe it's just that I'm reading Pride and Prejudice now), or even later stuff (Downton Abbey for example). Like, Josuke isn't "well-tailored" as an explicit gently caress-you to anyone, it's just that the notion that men who take such good care in their appearance doesn't seem to exist in JoJo.

It's all thanks to Araki's high fashion influence. I mean, other than the way they look (and how much they care about their expensive clothing), there's not a lot of masculinity subversion going on in Jojo. But just the fact that they dress like catwalk models (and really, that's more of a thing post-part 4) is enough to throw people for a loop.

Dias fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 24, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Let's be super real, people love DIO for showing off Jonathan's huge cock at all opportunities.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Let's be super real, people love DIO for showing off Jonathan's huge cock at all opportunities.

I mean, it makes for a convincing argument.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Lots of people here seem to be forgetting Kakyoin laid Jotaro's egg.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He laid Jouta's egg, I think you'll find.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Jotaro and Jouta are actually brothers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I always throught Araki's style took a lot from classical art, especially classical sculptures. It just seems to have that same standard and focus on aesthetic beauty. Remember how Perfect Kars was described as having the physique of a Greek sculpture? That's kinda what the whole thing is like. Even as the art evolves, I feel that that aspect stays.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He does, yeah.
The dude straight up copies statue and fashion photos at times for both poses and costume design after all. His art in JoJolion's almost inarguably more like the old greek statues than ever before build wise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Race Realists posted:

i think the fujoshis are gonna really enjoy that hayato-kira bathouse scene :v:

The scene was honestly one of the most uncomfortable moments in JJBA for me. Not because it was in a bathhouse; just... Kira is so realistically creepy.

My favorite thing about Stardust Crusaders is that Episode 4 starts with a scene of Dio having an orgy while Enya just sits in the corner, watching the whole thing while talking philosophy to him.

Dio is so hedonistic. It's fantastic. :allears:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The scene was honestly one of the most uncomfortable moments in JJBA for me. Not because it was in a bathhouse; just... Kira is so realistically creepy.

The best/worst thing about this scene is that Kira wasn't even trying to be creepy, he was just trying to be a dad taking a bath with his son, cuz I guess that's what he thought dads often do I guess, and he ended up being extremely creepy anyway.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

every day the division between this thread and the manga thread seems more and more tenuous at best

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We're getting a new anime thread when Bad Seafood shows up, it's like a swansong for the old gal. We'll have to make an effort to be in the mindframe to not spoil though in Seafood's new thread.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My favourite part of DiU is when Gyro sings the song about mozzarella

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Dacsubs/status/713439914600370176

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Iiinteresting. So is it just gonna be three... cours? is that the word? with no big gaps in between, or just one long-rear end season?

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 25, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's three 13-episode cours, but it doesn't seem like any word of if/how they'll be split.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

poo poo's getting very compressed if it's 39 episodes as a whole, unless they're not committing to more later on. DiU's a lot longer than SDC.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Either way, ONE WEEK TIL IT'S FRIDAY

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, SDC did kinda pad things out in Egypt to make it to a full 4, and DiU is only slightly longer than SDC.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm guessing some early fights that are kinda long are getting compressed? I doubt they'd wanna have the first couple of fights all be 2-parters since they were pretty long in the manga, IIRC.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
In any case, I think SDC's split season thing was only announced when we were part-way through though, right?

If Let's Eat Italian is anything less than an entire episode I will be loving pissed.

bondster
May 6, 2007

I seriously cannot believe that not only are we getting an anime adaptation on Part IV, but it debuts next loving week as well.

So unbelievably hyped

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, SDC did kinda pad things out in Egypt to make it to a full 4, and DiU is only slightly longer than SDC.

It's like 20 chapters/2 volumes longer and the padding wasn't so much as to add a good 15 episodes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aqua necklace could definitely be done in an episode, maybe 2 if they smash it with the 'meet Josuke' chapters.

The Lock, Surface and spaghetti are probably about an episode each, too.

Nijimura bros is almost certainly gonna be a 2-parter, though.

E: Is the spoiler policy gonna be "absolutely no spoilers til the simulcast, then go hog wild"?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Where's that prospective episode breakdown when you need it? Mods?!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Thread is now live.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Enourmo posted:

Aqua necklace could definitely be done in an episode, maybe 2 if they smash it with the 'meet Josuke' chapters.

No way. They'd have to cover Angelo's intro, killing Josuke's grandfather, the subsequent waiting and Stand Battle, getting information about DIO, and then him turning into a rock in at least two.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No way. They'd have to cover Angelo's intro, killing Josuke's grandfather, the subsequent waiting and Stand Battle, getting information about DIO, and then him turning into a rock in at least two.

this is where I reveal I haven't read part 4 in ages, I forgot all that happened during the first fight

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=5810609#post5810609

Somewhere else is listing 48

e: French crunchyroll is the place saying it and the 48 has now vanished.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 25, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm so excited. DiU has such a strong like introductory chapter, it's gonna be a really good first episode you guys :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I cannot wait for 13 episodes covering Diamond is Unbreakable.

• Locked thread