Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just finished watching Battle Tendency and I really love how JoJo just won through pure bullshitery, and then took the time to brag about like it was his finest moment (it was actually his finest moment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

Just finished up the Wham fight in a rewatch myself.

His death is way more sad than Caesar's. What a guy. :(

Wamuu's death is great because it deliberately plays up what a decent honourable guy he is just to further emphasise that Kars is a tremendous prick

Kars is the worst guy in a world where Dio 'DIO' Brando exists

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sekkira posted:

DIO just want to rule the world and the Joestars keep ruining that. What did he ever do wrong?

Forced himself on Erina, duh

Bad Seafood posted:

Space Ripper Stingy Eyes.

This is the name of an attack which successfully kills the protagonist of the show

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm watching Stardust Crusaders now and just got to this:

Can't stop laughing, he just looks so wise and peaceful and like he's staring directly into the eyes of the viewer. How dare Dio take advantage of such a majestic beast.

Hahaha now he's smoking a cigarette and looking at a magazine. I hope that it doesn't turn out that he's being controlled by a human or something and that he's actually just an ape who loves titties and tobacco.

He crossed a line no animal should cross

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've just started part 2 of Stardust Crusaders and it's already a marked improvement over part 1. Young Joseph would be proud of how Jotaro beats Geb

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yikes, that Alessi two-parter was genuinely unpleasant to watch. For once I wouldn't have minded if they'd just unambiguously killed the gently caress out of him, evil vampire overlords and megalomanic ancient supermen are one thing but paedophiles and child murderers can just get straight out

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Iserlohn posted:

jfc Alessi is not a pedophile. He is a creep, a jerk, a bully, and so forth. He is not a pedophile.

I can't wait for anime people to accuse Kira of being a pedophile.

Oh right he just gets his thrills out of chasing down and murdering kids, that's a whole other ballpark right?

Also this is the anime thread fuckwit, leave your high horse at the door

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vanilla Ice ...

Abdul, Iggy ... :(

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kakyoin's really giving off some Zeppeli vibes right about now

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well his sacrifice was better than Caesar-chan's anyway, him and Joseph actually figured out and passed on critical information in time to be genuinely useful

Also lol at Dio mugging the opening credits

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, I'm all up to date on my JoJo animes, some final thoughts:

Battle Tendency is still my favourite series, Stardust Crusaders Part 2 picked things up alot but Part One seriously dragged things down with trash villain of the weeks and boring Stands. I really don't think the series as a whole ever needed 48 episodes at all, especially considering how much ground Battle Tendency covered in 17 without ever feeling rushed

Jotaro's final fight with Dio was really cool though, Araki really seems to love making his villains so completely terrible anything which happens to them feels justified, that CRITICAL HIT to the skull punch and Dio's subsequent freakout was so satisfying, as was Polnareff's complete breakdown of Vanilla Ice. It was a shame Joseph didn't get any real fight at all with him though, I know he's old and crap and not the main protagonist now but he barely tricked anyone at all in this series, it would have been fun to see him try some type of sneaky bullshit with Hamon and Hermit Purple

On the other hand, the recurring permanent character deaths only make Joseph's continued survival funnier, he is just too ridiculous to die

Iggy's sudden change from doesn't give a poo poo comic relief to fully fledged party member was really sudden and noticeable, I think you could tell what his fate was going to be when his design changed from

to

and he sudden developed emotive voice-acting. RIP feels dog

Overall I thought they've all still been pretty great series', Young Joseph is still the JoJo of my heart but Jotaro did grow on me as they started to play up his absurd ice-cool stoicism and ridiculous finesse as his JoJo power more and more, beating D'Arby the Elder for example, just by completely weirding him out with inconsequential bullshit was hilarious

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He did. It just never worked.

Well yeah, I meant a real fight where Joseph at least lands one hit. I suppose the idea was to meant Dio seem completely unassailable but it did lead to Joseph feeling rather useless compared to his heyday

On the other hand I did like that they ran with the 'Joseph says Oh My God' meme and got him saying it in as many different tones and situations as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2PiYsReZyI

Pure gold

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Joseph is the one character I really can't get my head round an english voice for, Sugita just completely owned that role and the loss of his engrish is a tremendous loss to the world

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dzhay posted:

Following the advice of this thread, I read part 4.

Part 4 is good and will make a good cartoon.

Slightly worried about the censorship, Crazy Diamond needs a certain amount of gore.

I'm doing the same right now
I hope Jotaro gets to say ZA - WARUDO with at least a little of Dio's gusto when they adapt this

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

I too hope Jotaro says things 100% out of character.

That's why I said a little, obviously he's never going to chew the script like Dio but it'd like it if you just couldn't stop time without being a little dramatic

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, that was rather odd. There are a number of instances where Jotaro has less expression than he did in the manga. When he saw through Enya's trick in the manga, he was pretty smug about it, but he's got the same :geno: face as ever in the anime.

I like in Battle of Egypt they start to play up Jotaro's absurd level of competence and poker face as his gimmick more and more. Pulling off some ridiculous feat whilst not giving a single gently caress kinda becomes his 'your next line will be ...' signature turnaround

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

It also starts with Joseph arriving in Japan after an incidentless flight.

The trick is to not let him fly it

Honestly the whole Joseph and Planes thing is overblown. The only time he hosed it up was when he was an incompetent old man, the first two times everything was going exactly as planned. A more thoughtful meme would be 'Joseph can't solve all his problems by crashing planes into them'

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 15, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

melodicwaffle posted:

So I only just noticed this, but I think you might want to make a new banner, since right now it says Jojo's Summer-Colored Miracle (夏色な奇跡) instead of Bizarre Adventure (奇妙な冒険). Not sure how that might have happened.

lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I imagine Queen are an expensive band to license but it'd be a tremendous waste if they couldn't get that song for Part 4-II end credits

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Normie Slayer posted:

Yes, 『Bicycle Race』 would be the perfect way to cap off the second half of Part 4.

I'm glad someone gets it!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pomp posted:

I think It's hosed up that Kakyoin and Jotaro let Koichi think the egg is his

Seems about standard for Jotaro

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's kind of funny how the few times Joseph actually uses Hermit Purple to win a fight, it's more because Hermit Purple is an invisible rope than because it's a Stand with useful powers.

He did actually use it pretty effectively against Empress. I think that's the only time he Stardust Crusaders he actually wins a real fight classic Joseph style though, even his magic tricks have dropped by the time he plays D'Arby

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

The two most important voices to get right in Part 3 are Dio's and Polnareff's.

We know they nailed Dio. Praying for Polnareff.

Going by Caesar and Stroheim's accents I can only guess Polnareff is going is going to sound like a second rate Pepe Le Pew

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Don't spoil that for Xibyana's let's read!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

We already know he's Joseph's child. It's in the first arc, if not the first chapter.

Ah, I misread. I thought he was referring to Joseph actually turning up. nvm

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If only there were some way Josuke, a guy with the power to restore things to their original forms, could help a man who's been turned a terrible degenerate form ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

The problem is that that's become his form. He's not sick or injured in the classical sense, he now simply is a degenerate blob of flesh. That is his natural state.

Josuke could no sooner cure him than revert Dio's vampirism or de-age the elderly.

Fair point, though Jonathan was pretty good at 'curing' Dio's vampirism. Hamon got chucked in the bin too soon I think

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Watch this bluray comparison video. It's pretty fascinating because some of the changes are arguably worse, but the added footage overall shows corners they cut that you might not have noticed the first time out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jt6k9j3qds

D'Arby freaking out whilst Jotaro drinks through a swirly straw will never not get me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Koichi is basically Krillin in a universe where side characters doesn't get 100% shat on by the power curve, which is pretty cool imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

YES

Jotaro is a complete nerd and it's hilarious to me that he ends up with such a bad boy/tough guy image above all else. He's the sort of person where you'd think that every time Kakyoin mentioned never having any friends he'd kinda laugh and be like yeah wow that must have been awful for you even though I've never had friends either, really

It's because that what he very deliberately tries to put on, he even wins several fights (including his final round with DIO) by getting his opponent to freak out about what an icy cool badass he is. I've no doubt he practices his yare yare daze in the mirror for hours though, just to get that apathetic contempt just right

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, would that mean one of the last story arcs would be named "Crazy Diamond is not Crash"?

That's correct, it's Kira who is Crash(ed)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

wait, oh poo poo, the dad is george joestar, they're both jojos

Welcome to a very good series

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

what can jojo's bizarre adventure vampires not do, seriously

Defeat the Joestar bloodline :smugdog:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

landing hot blonde ladies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrUWwkVPG_w

Not a bad guess with the blondes though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Joseph Joestar is a beautiful man and I'm glad you're enjoying his antics as much as I did alcharagia

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

joseph's dub voice is kinda weird

Yeah, technically he is meant to be british but Sugita's take is just so good anything else soundsa wrong

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was confused why he was meant to be british in the first place, didn't he spent his whole life in America?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay nevermind, my mistake

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sugita comes across as super playful and fun too, just how he reads in the manga and Ishizuka making him a big loud bumbling idiot with the same charm underneath in SDC was perfect too.

Maybe it's just because I'm from a lovely area up north in England where we all think posh sounding southerners are soft as poo poo. Cultural programming is hard to break (particularly when personal real life experiences have historically backed it up.)

Ehhh, the posh ones generally are, the only rough kids at my schools were the poor ones from the estates and the most of the middle class ones were comically wimpy. I think it is more plausible for a turn of the 20th century character though, with public school rugby and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really like Decisive Battle but that might just be because it's used in the sickest counterattack in the entire series

• Locked thread