Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm doing the same right now
I hope Jotaro gets to say ZA - WARUDO with at least a little of Dio's gusto when they adapt this

I too hope Jotaro says things 100% out of character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aurain posted:

Don't read Duwang first.
Read it if you want to see what's so funny once you've read all of DiU.

(It's not really that funny and a lot of the "iconic" duwangs are in the better translation)

Agreed.
I would actually be more interested in how you think the colored version compares to the non colored version.
Also it would probably benefit you to break it up by arcs, it should be really easy that way because all the chapters are titled "Fight Name Chapter 1" "Fight Name Chapter 2" and so on.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Xibanya posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Japan had a censorship system like the MPAA in the states in which they reject an episode but don't say why so it's up to the original creator to figure out just how much can be left in without getting sent back for more censorship.

I just think their censorship laws have more to do with just covering up what they find obscene rather than saying you can't put it in in the first place.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hey Xibanya, I just want you to know that you're Cool and Good, and so's your analysis.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Forktoss posted:

Where did the names come from, by the way? Diamond is Unbreakable I get, I guess, but I have no idea what "is not Crash" even means.

Diamond is Not Crash is just the literal(bad) translation of the japanese title.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you don't like stands then you don't like JoJo.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Xibanya posted:

Jeez I don't even let my parents know that I watch Japanese cartoons. Don't you want your folks to go to bed at night without crying their eyes out from the knowledge that they begat a weeb?

Kinda sounds like their whole family is a bunch of weebs

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I had not noticed the gloves until last night where I read the colored version of the chapter. They really stand out in that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Your effort posts are bar none my favorite thing about this entire sub forum.

Did they just switch the hair? If that's all they did then wow.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aurain posted:

I was knew a dude who was insistent on calling it a masterclass of literature among the likes of The Great Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye and Less Than Zero.

Basically, it was a dude who studied English to a college level. He got incredibly mad if you called it "American Manga" because the dude who wrote it is Canadian and "it's disrespectful to call a graphic novel a manga".

* - Graphic novel, not visual.

It sounds to me like you hate it because that guy is an idiot. Scott Pilgrim is pretty alright.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

The only way it could be more of a manga is if it was drawn by a Japanese guy.

I mean yeah that is kind of a big factor.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The other option is restricting this to anime discussion only and close it in three weeks when nobody posts in it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

You're dong Dio's work, Xibanya. This is super interesting.

Yeah these posts are getting me to appreciate part 4 in a much deeper sense.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RaspberryCommie posted:

Absolutely loving the commentary you're having on this, Xibanya. Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you plan on doing similar reads/commentary on parts 5-8? At least on your blog if not here?

Would love to see what you have to say on some of those.

I would love to see some analysis on part 8 because I have no clue what's going on most of the time.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I really like that the spoiler rule for this thread has basically become "please don't ruin anything for Xibanya"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I also just got back from an anime con! I was at Youmacon in Detroit. If you don't mind me asking, what con did you go to?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

alcharagia posted:

jojo got fuckin swole between episodes, drat

You are in the Swole Age of JoJos

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The first episode of part two hits its stride immediately though. I still show that to people who are interested in jojo.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Please marathon all three seasons btw.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
God drat I need to get a jojo avatar guys.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Isn't this supposed to start airing this month? Has an actual date been announced?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
For some reason I keep thinking it's already April so the lack of a concrete date had me worried.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was just about to come in to post that. Lmao if those people actually cancelled their subscriptions.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Man there is lots of good stuff this season. Watch more anime nerds

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah the thread title should probably have "anime thread" edited out but I hope the Let's Read continues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Honestly, once the anime surpasses where we are in the Let's Read, I'll probably shut this thread down for good and merge the two again.

We don't need three different Jojo threads long-term.

You're right we need 4

• Locked thread