Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Cerebral Bore posted:

Just read part 5. It's not like the later parts are going to run away or something.

Reading a worse version of part 5 might make you enjoy it less, though. I'd say skip it for now and read it when more of the better translation comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ed is also acceptable.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Josuke's first appearance as a timid teenager has always stuck with me, so hearing his ASB voice is pretty jarring. I always figured he'd be way higher pitched.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Seeing how different the names are in Chinese makes it more confusing how the translators got things right, all things considered.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Aniki the word he is using is actually most frequently translated as bro.

I've never heard anyone say the word bro unironically, so it always annoys me when they do that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think that makes it better, really. Would Dio's second in command be nearly as memorable if you didn't know he was based on a white rapper from the 90s?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm pretty sure the entirety of humanity was building up to this moment.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Worth noting that some Part 3 characters in ASB had new actors by the time the anime came around but also that ASB came out when PB/BT did, so there was a bunch of time between it and SDC's anime.
I still think Kakyoin sounded much better in ASB then he did in the actual show.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm sure Araki is consulted all the time for his opinion on colours for products, but as far as I know, only some brands of figures are actually marketed as having Araki selected colour schemes and those toys are almost always the same colour as later media adopts.

I found it really odd that the Part 3 anime went with black for Jotaro's uniform. He's the most iconic character other than Dio, and he's always been in blue, hasn't he?

I've also come to begrudgingly accept that Koichi's hair is not blonde, even it really should be.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really get people's confusion about how Echoes' power would hurt him. If someone was yelling into your ear at the top of their lungs, I think you would get hosed up too.

I like this fight because it tells us Koichi is capable of solving problems all by himself. When I first read this, I expected Josuke to barge in and fix everything, but they put Koichi in a situation where that plain couldn't happen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I thought the first three fourths of HxH were good, but the Chimera Ant arc went on forever and was not very good to begin with. I hated every single one of the villains and it dragged itself out at least 30 eps too long.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, as fun as the key notes of part 1 are, there's just so many boring characters that don't matter and it just made it a slog to watch my first time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The first five minutes are an apology for having to sit through part 1.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I just assumed Kobayashi's trying way too hard to come off as genuine and subservant to Koichi, so he acts really surprised at everything he does.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the ops and eds actually contain quite a lot of spoilers that make no sense if you don't know what to look for

You will probably never notice the Part 3 reference the second op has.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It is kind of an asspull, though, considering that Jotaro uses it to beat Dark Blue Moon and Strength and then it never comes up again.

At least the anime added a filler scene of Jotaro using it in a later fight.

I'm pretty sure him using it on Dark Blue Moon is also something they added.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I thought Surface was just an automatic stand, and did whatever he felt like. Since Stands are like manifestations of the user's personality, it's just a way of showing Hazamada is really weird.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Abdul the best, Kakyoin the best, the fact that they both loving die is the biggest crime Araki has committed. Well, almost, but still.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Moltrey posted:

JoJo avatars are very cool, I highly recommend them.

I would but I'm not sure who to get. Maybe Foo Fighters? Hopefully being from a later part wouldn't spoil it too badly for Xibanya.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Kakyoin came back just to lose the only fight he got, and his ultimate attack was proven worthless (I'm still not sure why this is considering Dio still had to tough a hamon-infused thing but eh). Dude jobbed pretty hard.

Of course Kakyoin and Abdul were my favorite characters, so it got kind of annoying.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Butt Ox posted:

But Kakyoin never used Hamon though?

Am I remembering this wrong? Kakyoin's whole plan was to use Joseph's hamon conducted on his stand, trapping DIO.

edit: I checked a summary of that chapter and I don't know where I even got that from? I could have sworn the two were working together on the 20 meter Emerald Splash but I guess not? Point is Kakyoin was tragically a jobber until the end.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 7, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yu Yu Hakusho is real good but I don't really know about comparing it to Jojo. The Sensui arc introduces people that essentially have Stand powers, but that's kinda it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, that's pretty much when it jumped the shark, since that's also when Sensui turns from being an actually interesting villain to LET ME SHOW YOU MY TRUE POWER. The show never really recovered after that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho is, for me, one of the iconic good dubs. I'll be sad when Okuyasu isn't voiced by Chris Sabat, and Botan without an English accent is just wrong.

They can't have Sabat voicing him, because they have to get the voice actors for Ed, Edd and Eddy to do that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Moltrey posted:

It is pretty rough, but I still appreciated the application of his power going from Making A Man Lose His Mind to Making His Mom Believe Him. I honestly didn't see much use of Echoes past driving people crazy.

I would say that's a pretty drat useful power that would work on literally any human if Koichi really felt like doing it.

The way he won was more about him having the confidence to stand up to a weirdo and assert that he is, in fact, strong (and also a good boy). It wasn't just Koichi yelling at the top of his lungs in defiance.

• Locked thread