Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Read Diamond Is Unbreakable You Goddamn Nerds

(also nice thread tag, meat chief)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that reminds me, a good selling point of arc 4 is that it's basically always sunny in philadelphia except with jojo's characters. also jotaro is cooler in it than in arc 3.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alessi doesn't matter because he's in an arc that doesn't matter anymore because y'all should be reading arc 4

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Beef Chief posted:

I'm actually disappointed they didn't go with the lines of Joseph's confidence taking a hit because they thought he was ugly.

it added to his character, so yeah, it's kinda sad that they changed it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

got it in one

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, that interview was pretty recent-ish as well. rest easy knowing that araki has the music choices on lockdown.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everyone read loving diamond is unbreakable, thanks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, uh, save yourself half the effort and don't actually bother to write about duwang if you really want to read it for whatever reason. i'm sure the discussion of 'wow this english is really broken' will be fresh and new the 100th time, but please restrain yourself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, yeah, duwang is technically readable, but nowadays we have actually better translations available and i'd rather people new to the manga read those first. if someone wants to read duwang afterwards then that's cool and all, but it's really not necessary and shouldn't have effort put into doing a Let's Read of it alongside a Let's Read of something more readable. that's an easy way to burn someone out with too much work.

(also yes, black and white would probably be preferable with maybe some examples of colored scans posted every now and then, because some are pretty nice)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Xibanya posted:

Thread read-along.

Er, if I'm understanding right, I post my analysis of each chunk and then we all talk about it. I mean, isn't that what people do?

E: to clarify, I don't plan on doing one post per story arc, but I don't want to commit to one post per chapter either. I'd be telling everyone what chapter(s) I plan to read next and then everybody can get ready for when I actually post by reading it/them too.

just go about doing it however you want to do it. you're the one putting the effort in.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the entire series pretty much has elements of things that araki enjoys just kinda rolled into it, but arc 4 is when that starts to become -very- apparent, from the setting to just various details about most everything. i think that once everything got so popular he realized that people enjoyed his brand of weird poo poo and decided to let more of himself bleed into his work, which really improved on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd honestly rather just recommend the anime to people these days because with the prevalence of things like netflix and whatever it's much more common for people to marathon through a tv series, and doing that is a hell of a lot easier for some than reading manga from the 80's.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's really neat to get a good view of all the little techniques araki uses to build tension and all that. also it's always funny to see the early arc 4 art, because even in the middle of it araki's art style keeps evolving. it ends up in a really nice place by the time it's over, in my opinion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the funny part is that the 'good' translation of arc 4 even keeps some of the more iconic duwang lines here and there.

see if you can spot them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm less a fan of stardust crusaders because it really has the feeling of 'saturday morning cartoon with a new villain every week' throughout most of it. hell, a couple later arcs have some definite travel elements to them but they feel a lot more intimate in a way than arc 3, a big part of that being araki getting more into the flow of things. diamond is unbreakable is the first time he really experiments with that sort of feeling and it really shows.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, crazy diamond isn't at the same speed levels of star platinum but it's definitely up there. it's a prime example of punchghost, with thankfully something else to really differentiate it and enable some really odd solutions later on. it's probably the last example of a 'real' punchghost in the series, as far as main protag stands go. i wouldn't call it much of a spoiler, but the whole 'punch through someone and heal them up right afterwards' thing actually drops off hard after the beginning. on my recent reread i even noted how there was more of that than i remember. i feel like josuke gets less...brutal to an extent after the beginning parts? i keep bringing it up, but it's funny how you can kind see araki grow over time, even when in the middle of an arc.

i can only assume that punching through tomoko might not have been a thing josuke's done before but the alternative was her dying, so eh. i'm just glad that it's not a trend that keeps happening.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I just thought the idea of Josuke solving mundane problems through intense mutilation was amusing. :kiddo:

I'm sure Araki was just demonstrating that Josuke is just so skilled with his Stand he can do stuff like this no problem.

oh, definitely. i just think it's kinda weird considering his character. he still does some sick-rear end poo poo later on but it feels like it makes more sense then.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think arc 4 is still the longest arc to date, which influences the overall tone. it's a nice break after the first 3 arcs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think josuke is the first jojo where the fact that he's a kid is really touched upon. he may have had the stand since he was young, but chances are he never had to deal with, you know, someone close to him dying and thinking that maybe he'd have a chance of fixing them. even after hearing that this serial killer just straight up murders people and knowing that once the stand gets into someone they're basically dead, he still tries to fix up his grandpa, because why wouldn't it work? it has to work. why isn't it working.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if i remember right, when i first started reading arc 4 i was really surprised by ryuhei's death. i think part of it was that it was a near-immediate change of tone for the story. i mean, sure, holly gets all messed up in arc 3 and the crusaders suddenly are on a time limit to cure her, but that never came off as anything more than a reason to have them run out to fight dio on a globetrotting adventure. when ryuhei straight-up dies in the span of a couple pages it immediately hammers home that things are very close and personal. even if we, the readers, don't have much of a connection to the guy, we can at least get the feeling of 'haha holy poo poo this no-name fucker just killed josuke's grandpa when he was only a room away from him, in their own house'. it all feels more genuine than other series which will rush to kill off someone early in the name of going 'OH MAN, poo poo IS REAL NOW', because once ryuhei is dead there's not much they can do. they have no idea where the killer was even hiding, and the stand can easily get away without a trace. at that moment they're left up poo poo creek without a paddle and it gives this mildly threatening feel to everything. they can't even immediately jump into action, because what would that even accomplish? they have no idea where to start at that moment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we ain't even through the let's read of arc 4 yet, so try not to fill up the thread with black bars of stuff that's even BEYOND that. as a reminder, there's a normal jojo's thread for a reason.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a big thing with how the villains in arc 4 are more 'humanized' in a way is that araki more or less has a running start after arc 3. there's a noticeable shift from the first half to the second half of stardust crusaders where more focus is put on the actual stand user than the stand itself. does the stand have a lot of 'airtime' compared to the user? possibly. it doesn't mean that the user can't be a perpetual influence on the encounter as a whole. stardust crusaders has a slew of tarot stands that are beaten without even really getting to know the user at all. sometimes most of the battle is actually finding the user, at which point a decisive punch will end the battle. but there's this, like i said, noticeable jump from 'lmao who's this clown' to characters that have more of an actual motive of a sort or are allowed to show off their personality. near the end, you have encounters like vanilla ice which in themselves are almost entirely centered around the user. vanilla ice's fanaticism was a defining character trait. hell, even petshop was the star of the show in its fight. the very concept of petshop being a bird of prey basically defined that entire fight of beast against beast, not the fact that petshop could hurl spikes of ice.

once it gets to arc 4, araki immediately starts employing this with basically -everyone-, and it shows. aqua necklace isn't the star of the fight. it's angelo, even if he's sitting in a tree most of the time or not even in view. his very presence defines the encounter. this shift is part of why arc 4 is one of my favorites, and it's a nice example of araki 'evolving' during the creation of this particular chunk of the story. it won't be the last time it happens, either.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i always thought that the conclusion of this fight was an interesting look at how the jojo protagonists have evolved over the course of 4 arcs.

johnathan? he's an angel. the dude would never even remotely consider doing anything like this to someone. the guy cradled the severed head of his nemesis in his arms as he died on a burning ship. he perfectly fits the mold of 'early shounen protagonist' with a heart of gold and the personality to match. even the idea of fighting dishonorably probably gave him the willies.

joseph? his defining character trait is that he's not afraid to throw a cheap shot. it's notable, because in most other cases he's pretty similar to johnathan, but in his case it translate mostly into him being a clown and joking around the majority of the time. even when he's older he fills the role of partial comedic relief without being a direct powerhouse. there's no way he'd consider doing what josuke did to angelo even if he had the ability to.

jotaro? well, he's when things start to break the mold that the previous two have established. you don't see him joking around. he doesn't even have an emotional connection to his nemesis like johnathan did. the guy would pop someone upside the mouth for annoying him, all without even showing a facial expression. if joseph is the good cop, jotaro is the bad cop. many villains in arc 3 end up more or less hosed up for life due to the results of star platinum more or less pulverizing their bones. even so, you see rare moments when he's shown to be honorable, such as when he buries n'doul. it's a brief moment that stands out among his usual emotionless demeanor that generally sets him apart from joseph and johnathan. would he do what josuke did? it's hard to say. i don't think so, really. angelo might be hosed up for life at the end of it all, but warped into a rock? probably not.

josuke? well, this is where the joestar bloodline starts going off the protagonist archetype rails in more ways than one. josuke is very much like his dad, which i'm sure is at least mildly evident at this point. he definitely messes around, as is befitting his age if not his heritage at the least. i wouldn't really call the anger a defining character trait, but it's obvious that he's much more emotional than jotaro. hell, the guy basically wears his heart on his sleeve (hi, symbolism). i think it's important to note that as far as the protags go, josuke is the first who hasn't had explicit ties to the 'joestar family' as a whole. the first two are obvious, and holly must have had a fair amount of contact with joseph which left jotaro and her, among other things, probably near-filthy rich. even if jotaro hadn't really known joseph all that well it was clear that he was living a cushy life by association. josuke, on the other hand, is the sole child of a single mother who has never even met his father. until jotaro shows up, he's had no ties to the joestars whatsoever. ultimately, though, he's a joestar at heart. the rest of his influence comes from his mom's side of the family, and it's made clear early on that he shares a few elements with his mother. i think most would agree that angelo got what he deserved, and i don't blame josuke for more or less going apeshit and obliterating him. especially since he'd already killed his grandfather and tried to murder his mom multiple times. if jotaro hadn't come along, that would have been all the family he'd had just suddenly gone. in a way i feel like jotaro and josuke share some elements, because jotaro is probably the only one out of the previous 3 protagonists who would sit idly by and let josuke have free reign with how he deals with angelo. jotaro's emotional distance lets him easily support josuke's extreme, emotion-fueled punishment on angelo, especially since he'd had much less connection to the fucker than josuke did by that point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like to think of arc 4 as the one that truly sets the tone for the series in general, because even if the later arcs are wildly different in various ways they still keep the same sort of cohesion that diamond is unbreakable brings to the table, and i feel like that is part of why it's so popular with a lot of people. there's still room for araki to grow at this point in the series, but he has the basic formula down of what he wants. it took basically all of stardust crusaders to get there and the result is wonderful.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

adult jotaro is the best jotaro because it's actually fitting for him and i like the general interpretation of him being more tired and more focused on doing weird research stuff than belting out one-liners and punching people. he's like the cool uncle who brings you fun gifts from his travels and will tell you about the time he almost got choked to death by a giant squid, except in this case he's technically the nephew.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fun Fact: Okuyasu's stand, 'The Hand', is a reference the band named 'The Band'

this is because, when written out in japanese katakana, 'the band' is literally all of like one mark away from 'the hand', so it's pretty much a pun

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ascalapha odorata posted:

Ha, I had wondered what the musical connection was there.

it's definitely one of the more confusing ones. typically the musical references are pretty outright, but the hand isn't immediately obvious since it's more of a language-based pun than anything. when in doubt, check the wiki! or in this case, most people in this thread probably shouldn't. could very well be a hive of spoilers.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on further checking the internet, it is also totally that. okuyasu is #1 libertarian in morioh.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mods, requesting a name-change to 'JoJo's Summer-Colored Miracle'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the best way to think about the hand's power is that stands more or less operate on their own set of rules, so their abilities kinda operate the same way. when the hand slices through something, the surrounding area will try to fill in the void like a vacuum as best it can. some things move more easily than others based on size and a void that is big enough to pull josuke in will more than likely pull in anything smaller near josuke as well, and since a potted plant can pick up way more momentum than a person, well, we all saw what happened!

like a lot of things in jojo's it just kinda works if you go with it. with great power comes great responsibility. and a faceful of terracotta.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's also more than one comparison that can be made between vanilla ice and okuyasu, which i'm sure will be elaborated on in the near future by either me or someone else :whatup:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the way that all star battle depicts it also gives a good idea. the vacuum effect only happens like, a second after the swipe with his hand. it's an actual, distinct suction that takes place after the initial attack.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i won't say that the series ever gets to, like, super uncomfortable levels of body horror (it's at its peak in a couple arcs in the future), but arc 4 is definitely where it picks up a bit. if nothing else josuke has already given a taste of it with what he did to angelo, and the detail on okuyasu getting riddled with a shitload of tiny holes is a strong contender.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on an unrelated note, i always thought it was funny and really in-character with how uncomfortable jotaro looks when he's talking to tomoko. the guy is probably just going 'gently caress' in his head repeatedly while trying not to sweat too much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think a lot of people like to view jotaro as autistic, and not even in a remotely joking manner, because with the way he acts it's pretty uncanny in how well it fits and there's seriously no point now or in the future where he comes off as anything but. i highly doubt that araki intended this in the first place, especially since jotaro is based off of clint eastwood and is supposed to give off vibes of being the stoic badass, but over time i feel like jotaro being humanized kinda added that extra angle to it all where it'd make someone think 'haha, wow, jotaro is just really awkward as poo poo if he's not currently hitting someone'.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Aurain posted:

Jotaro's part 4 run is great. He's a fantastic supporting character.

i genuinely like jotaro a lot more when he's not in stardust crusaders, no contest.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ascalapha odorata posted:

Re-reading this and looking at both the original B&W and color scans makes me realize just how much I really do like the Hand's stand design.

i dunno how much thought was put into the actual designs of both crazy diamond and the hand, but i like to think that they have a knightly air about them. in a way they look like they're wearing suits of armor and have helmets as well. although, in okuyasu's case, it looks like the hand is wearing blinders, which would fit in with how single-minded he's shown himself to be so far.

also, i kinda empathize with josuke caring less about his actual well-being than that of those around him, so it definitely hits home. :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Xibanya posted:

Thanks for the feedback! It means a lot! I actually was aware of this pose as being typical of delinquents as I used to be a big fan of Yu Yu Hakusho, but yeah as far as I know it doesn't have a specific name.

As for Okuyasu's voice, I actually wouldn't want something Kuwabara-like for it. drat I'm so loving curious about what my friend had planned, he said it was gonna be a surprise and now I have to wait a bit longer since I have Ziggy Starfucker reading ahead for good duwangs and it looks like Okuyasu won't show up again for another volume after the conclusion of this story arc. But anyway I actually kinda hate it when they make the tough guy high school kid sound like a thirty-something man since it makes it harder to really read the character as a kid. I'd actually prefer a clear (not raspy) voice that had some sort of marker of working-class origin, or, hell, even something approaching AAVE. I just get the impression throwing on rasp (in the case of North American VOs) or getting squeaky (in the case of Japanese VOs) to be a tough guy is something that's easy to do so that's become the archetype.

yeah, i've never been a fan of the idea to make okuyasu sound like kuwabara. it always comes off as just an excuse to reference something else and never an attempt to actually give okuyasu a voice that fits, and the series already has issues with portraying 16 year old kids as 30-somethings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's pretty much a binary thing. either you get a stand and are more or less fine, or you die. typically people aren't supposed to magically be healed if they're 'chosen' to die, so since koichi is all fine and dandy, well, there's no option but for him to have a stand! i guess the way to see it is that if someone has the fortitude to bring their stand out then they can definitely survive the attack. although, i'm not sure what the gently caress happens if someone gets shot in the brain with it. i don't think that's ever a 'thing' that happens.

also, the music-related names for stands are great because chances are there's a very good reason why something is named what it is, which is something the tarot stands never really had the benefit of.

• Locked thread