Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is an ongoing manga series by Hirohiko Araki about the Joestar family and the varying weird poo poo that happens to them. JoJos has been going since 1986 and will continue going because Araki is an undying vampire and this series is still incredibly popular, selling about 80 Million units over the course of the series' existence. Welcome to the thread for animewatchers aka the thread where people who decided to read the manga will be talking about Part 4 in and the rest of the people are waiting for the Part 4 anime. All of the series so far has been pretty stellar and done well by David Productions, so without further ado LET'S TALK ABOUT THE ANIME PARTS...

Phantom Blood/Battle Tendency

The first series aired in 2012. based on the first and second parts of the series and ran for 26 episodes. Phantom Blood follows the story of Jonathan Joestar, a high-class english nobleman who yearns to be a proper gentleman and do the Joestar name proud. Coming to invade and eventually poo poo all over his hopes and dreams is his adopted brother, Dio Brando, who wants to become the inheritor of the Joestar fortune and will do anything to do so. Eventually the story goes places and Jonathan learns how to do yoga which lets him kill vampires pretty good. It's a weird series and is only gonna get weirder from there.

Battle Tendency is the subtitle for the upcoming Zoolander sequel. In it, Derek and Hansel are on a new mission to save the world from the vampire supermodels Ric Ocasek , George Michael, and Angus Young, who all seek to suck the handsomness out of every model on Earth. All of the latter said it was incredibly tough to get into the shape necessary to fit the part, but they worked hard because they believed in the project.

The manga for parts 1 & 2 is currently being translated and localized into English by Viz Manga and all of Part 1 is done and available digitally, while the final physical volume comes out August 4th. Part 2 is not yet finished, but the first volume is available digitally and will come out in due time. The anime will be getting an English release in September on DVD with a dub! Benjamin Diskin as Joseph Joestar is currently the only voice confirmed. You can find the manga available on Amazon, Viz's website, and Comixology. If you wish to preorder copies of the anime dvds, you can do so on Amazon and Rightstuf.

Stardust Crusaders

Aired in 2014-2015, based on the third part of the series and ran for 48 episodes. Stardust Crusaders is a road trip story where Jotaro Kujo and his best friend, Noriaki Kakyoin, go on a road trip to Egypt to save his mother from dying by punching a vampire in the face with ghosts. Jotaro and Kakyoin will meet wacky characters, take care of a baby, and even learn what it's like to walk like an egyptian as the Stardust Crusaders.

Stardust Crusaders is full translated and is separated into 16 different volumes that you can access through the same avenues you can access the first parts of the series through. The anime has yet to receive a western release, but there are three episodes of a test dub that a certain handsome gentleman uploaded many clips of to youtube and some on dailymotion.

Diamond is Unbreakable

Airing at some point, eventually, maybe, who knows in the future, based on the fourth part of the series and will run for who knows how many episodes, it will probably be close to what SC had. Diamond is Unbreakable is a story about Josuke Higashikata, the son of Joseph Joestar, and his adventures in his town of Morioh.

:pcgaming:VIDEO GAMES:pcgaming:

JoJo having been a series that has existed for over 20 years of course has a good number of video games, so I'm gonna give you the rundown on what's hot and what's not for you to play if you wish to remain clean and pure.

-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for the SNES: I don't know poo poo about this game other than Jotaro gets a new cap to stop time and that owns.
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Heritage for the Future: Capcom fighting game based on Stardust Crusaders. It's a super fun game that features one of the most horrendously broken characters in fighting games and is still probably the best JoJo game to date. Play it if you want a fun fighting game that shows off a lot of the weird poo poo in Part 3 in 90s sprite form and maybe some Part 2 stuff.
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Vento Aureo: Capcom beat 'em up boss game based on Part 5. Needless to say it's past the cutoff point for discussion in this thread so don't talk about it, but it's a fun game that captures JoJo style fights pretty decently, you could also debate this is the best JoJo game because it is also super fun and it still looks pretty good for a game from 2002.
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Phantom Blood: A lovely beat em up game from Namco-Bandai. It's slow as poo poo, the controls are rear end, it looks like poop, and is all around a pretty terrible game, don't play it.
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle: A bad fighting game that takes from every part of the series. There is more to enjoy in this game than the Phantom Blood game, but it is basically a model viewer and nothing else because it runs like rear end and moves like it too. If you want to play it, that's cool, but remember this overs all 8 parts of the series so be warned, gamer.

:siren:THINGS TO DO IN THIS THREAD:siren
1. Talk about the anime and Part 4, but Part 4 discussion must be spoiler tagged and any progression beyond Part 4 in the manga must be taken to the manga thread.
2. Talk about the upcoming dub and how cool Ben Diskin is.
3. Get mad because Uznare said something mean to you.
4. Get mad because I said something mean to you.
5. Talk about why all JoJo translations are poo poo and the spirit of the series will never be captured because farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttttttttttttt.
6. Baseless rumor milling, yes please, I want this.
7. Talk endlessly about what song they will use for the ED even though your prediction will most likely be wrong.
8. Debate why Kars would never lose to stand users because you have a massive boner for him and like power levels discussion
9. While we're at it, debate why it's not spelled Kars, but Cars because you think music references are the actual spelling and know better than the actual creator.
10. Talk endlessly about what Dio's power is even though they loving explicitly tell you what his power is, but no I gotta loving insert my own headcanon, Beef!
11. Post neat JoJo videos and funny memes, I'm actually serious about this one.

Okay enjoy, have a good night everybody.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
endorph please

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
People should be remembering it from Digimon the Movie.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually think duwang is really funny

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One Week by the Barenaked Ladies

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love dot

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

i can't i can't ican't

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Forced himself on Erina, duh

This is the name of an attack which successfully kills the protagonist of the show

Didn't kill Joseph.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
British-Accented JYB as Jonathan and British-Accented Ben Diskin as Joseph, this is loving godlike.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress yuri lowenthal, jonathan needs to sound powerful and jyb is powerful

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Ugh.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 20, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
These JoJo threads... they give me a lot of headaches.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't drink alcoholic beverages.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All of the Part 5 stands got butchered in the funniest ways except for two of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sugita's amazing, but Diskin is closer to what I imagine Joseph sounding.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm actually disappointed they didn't go with the lines of Joseph's confidence taking a hit because they thought he was ugly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

itskage posted:

Man I hate Joseph's dubbed voice. I feel like the original he's smooth talking street smart (because he is?) but this he sounds more like the stereotypical annoyed nobleman. That sound about right?

As someone who read the manga far before the anime existing Sugita's voice was actually really weird to hear at first. At no point when I looked at Joseph Joestar did I ever think his voice was smooth or deep, I honestly still don't. Sugita's the exception for the character not the rule, because prior to Sugita there already was a Joseph voice and Hochu Otsuka's Joseph is pretty much what I thought it should be because it was a scrappy, rough, and the complete opposite of the kind of voice someone like Jonathan should have.

Portraying him as smooth talking when he actively resorted to resolving arguments by trying to fight people, made on the fly plans that any sane person would not attempt, and genuinely being a huge smart rear end are Joseph Joestar. They went with a different thing here than just outright imitate Sugita as they could've tried to do and it honestly works fine to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He just goads Santana into smiling and then goes for something similar to the line for the last part of it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jotaro's delivery on THE WORLD in HftF is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0MygIBj0Yg

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wasn't the reason the EDs were chosen is because those are what Araki was listening to as he was writing the series?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure this was an article where they interviewed one of the lead guys at David and he said that, like it's not heresay.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

When does the season 1 dub DVD come out?

September 22nd

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He did not, so they look like rear end of course.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hochu Otsuka was the best Joseph, actually

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Ben Diskin

Fair enough

How about you get out of my thread instead, nerd?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Diskin chews the scenery quite a bit, it's pretty great

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not your buddy, guy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not your friend, buddy.

Caesar's pretty perfect imo, it's mostly the lovely Italian accent that brings it together tho

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no idea and see no clarification at all and it pissed me off when I originally tried to pre-order it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I'm just gonna stick with my Amazon Video downloads. The DVD sounds really bad in every way and I'll wait for a chance at a better one down the road.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah that's what I was thinking of too

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jotaro doesn't call them bitches, that was a liberty crunchyroll took with the dialogue they should not have taken. He speaks roughly to them, but it's obvious from how much he cares about his mother and Ann for the short time she was with them that he doesn't hate women or anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is, but it makes his character come off harsher towards his mother and other women than it should be. It's fine at the end of the day, because you still get the point of his character across, it just sort of feels like when Viz has translated it as a very harsh "Woman" it works fine, but the yes of a term as derogatory as that is him being an rear end in a top hat. Idk, it's not that big a deal, just something that I don't particularly care for.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not literally defined as "bitch", you goon. Japanese/English dictionaries take liberties with that poo poo too and are not the end all be all of how you learn a language, take it from someone who figured that out the hard way. Ama is a derogatory term for Women, but that does not inherently mean "bitch" especially when there are various words to do that with in the english language. It's of course the most obvious one, but context and character interpretation are what matters and that's how you suit things to an audience. You can just as easily make "woman" a bad word when said forcefully and condescendingly enough as bitch, it's not liberal and it's not inaccurate either.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I apologize for jumping the gun then. I got annoyed mostly by the "don't pretend" poo poo because that is never not used in a way that isn't annoying.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's coo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can never pin down a good voice for Okuyasu in my head that doesn't just become Kuwabara, because it's the only voice I think that can work for him and he will never have it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think he did in the video game.

I mean Sabat, not Takagi.

Moltrey posted:

I have no reference for what Kuwabara sounds like, please assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d1yvPH7U3Y

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't care for a lot of the voice acting in ASB, but the Part 4 cast overall really good. Takagi is a really good voice for Okuyasu and Josuke is a lot different than what I was expecting too and it worked. About the only voice I didn't like was Romi Park as Koichi and that's because Romi Park's just really boring and has the same voice for a lot of her roles. Though, I liked her as Giorno in the Part 5 game though and more than Namikawa's Giorno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jesus, these threads are blending together, I actually thought I was in the manga thread.

• Locked thread