Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

the wildest rear end posted:

The ED for the part 4 anime will be All Star, the song from the hit-movie Shrek
I like how everybody remembers this song for Shrek and not Mystery Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dot Jaypeg's power is too strong.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Forgot about Ice Mode and Space Ripper Stingy Eyes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jonathan had pluck, Joseph had luck.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Guest starring Speedwagon as himself.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Super Morioh Brothers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It may behoove you to take it to the other thread, Jose.

This thread is for people who've only watched the anime, or have at best read through Part 4.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's always time to reread Jojo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My favorite Jojo sales pitch would still have to be from Part 4:

"To avoid hitting some pedestrians during a high-speed chase, the hero punches his motorcycle so hard it breaks into a million pieces and sails over the heads of the bystanders. Reassembling his bike in mid-air, he lands and drives off."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The guy who shoots Dio in the manga has big, beefy arms so I always liked to think it was ZZ.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alessi was a bad man and I laughed when bad things happened to him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neowyrm posted:

I come bringing good news: You can finally play as a Pillar Man in Street Fighter

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's a long-running joke in some pockets of the fanbase that Arabia Fats (The Sun) and Kenny G. would've been invincible.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Iggy ain't no fools gold, that dog is solid gold.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I really don't think the series as a whole ever needed 48 episodes at all, especially considering how much ground Battle Tendency covered in 17 without ever feeling rushed
While the anime certainly drags things out, it's worth noting that Battle Tendency was "Only" 7 volumes whereas Stardust Crusaders spans a more substantive 16. 48 episodes might've still been a bit much, but it was never going to be contained within a single standard 26-episode season. The pacing and style of story changes from Part 2 to Part 3 as well.

The bigger issue, in my opinion, is less the episode count and more the way certain fights were stretched or squeezed to fit within broadcasting confines. My go-to example has pretty much become The Sun. In the manga it's only two chapters and over in about six minutes (give or take, depending on you fast you read things), but the anime needs to to fluff it out to fill 20 minutes of airtime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's a lot of little things that end up influencing the pacing. You "Read" dialogue much faster than you "Hear" it, your mind fills in the action between panels, and there's no minimum (or technically maximum) length any given battle has to go for, so you can do things like sandwich The Sun between The Lovers and Death XIII without having to worry over how it affects them. And if you don't care for any given fight, good news: it's over fairly quickly. A lot of the "Bad" fights in Part 3 are the quick and dirty ones that fill up much of the first half, for which the average length is 3-to-4 chapters. I consider myself a slow reader, but I can burn through a single 20-page chapter in about three minutes, so most of those fights last all of ten before switching over to something else. Now I don't dislike any of the fights in Part 3, as I've said, but if I did then I'd probably find them less irritating in a more digestible format.

The tricky part in adapting this for television is the fights from Part 3 onward become very compartmentalized; new location, new bad guy. If a fight ends before the episode ends, they need to shift into the next fight which hypothetically throws off everything for all future fights which hurts the flow and feel of the show. A lot of people complained about the jump from Vanilla Ice to Suzy Q to Nukesaku. That wasn't an issue that existed in the manga, but it exists in the anime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I am still holding out for Don't Stop Me Now for the first half and Killer Queen for the second.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Enourmo posted:

part 4 is the freinds we made along the way
Part 4's OP leaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0VQOHX7lM

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I have a lingering fondness for Duwang, but primarily because for the longest time it was the only version of Part 4 we had. Beggars can't be choosers. My attachment is based less in any kind of nostalgia for the translation itself, more in the feat of actually navigating it and not quitting Jojo (as several people did around that time). Having "Survived" Duwang is a badge of honor for a lot of old school Western Jojo fans because it means you stuck with the series at a time it was still niche over here and hard to get into. Part 5 wasn't finished, Part 6 was only translated up to vol. 3, and SBR was only translated up to vol. 5 - with ugly scans all around. It was another era. We suffered through it together, so it became a bond.

Now that better translations exist, I would advise anyone interested in reading or rereading Part 4 to simply use those. The Invincible Trio even went to the trouble to keep a number of the more iconic Duwang lines (which should be instantly recognizable).

EDIT: This conversation moved faster than I expected. That's what I get for starting to type this post then doing something else for a short bit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Aurain posted:

Honestly, that's probably for the best. Black and white and in a language that isn't broken is how Araki presented it, that's probably the best way to analyse and discuss it.
I agree.

Having the series in color is nice, but black and white is how the majority of people will, and were intended to, experience it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

I don't plan on reproing each chapter page by page, but about how much do you think I can post without it being :filez: ?
As Part 4 is currently unavailable in English in any legitimate capacity, and your intentions are to engage with and critique the work rather than merely reproducing it, I am inclined to be a little more generous than usual regarding posting panels and pages. I'd advise keeping that number conservative, though.

In the event that this changes, I'll obviously have to limit you thereafter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Roger, going by my DB effort posts, is that level of reproduction appropriate?
Absolutely.

I've actually reread Part 4 relatively recently (prior to this thread's existence), and will most likely chip in my own thoughts as they become relevant.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I cropped out his right shoulder to draw more focus to his face, but I can also do a straight resize if that's what you'd prefer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fungah! posted:

dang, i like that one more. think i'll go with that. ty both
You made the right choice.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like the turtle is really what brings all the elements of Josuke's introduction together, and not just because Araki's employing the standard practice of using an animal's suffering to elicit sympathy. The very first thing we see of Josuke is him and the turtle. He's afraid of turtles, so he's trying to will himself to get over his fear. Turtles are an odd thing to be afraid of, so it comes off as a bit (charmingly) eccentric, but it also paints Josuke as the sort of person who's willing to face his fears.

The most important bit though is his actual interactions with the turtle.

I hate bugs, which I don't think is too uncommon. Whenever I see a bug in my immediate vicinity, my instinct, my desire, is always to kill it. Now obviously a turtle is a little different, but if you don't like turtles (whether you're scared of them or think they're gross), you will probably treat them at best with a certain amount of distance, at worst with hostility. So Josuke is afraid of turtles. Most people wouldn't kill a turtle just cause they were afraid of it, but they either wouldn't bother with them, or would treat them like an object to be reviled. Josuke, meanwhile, is willing to reach out to the turtle, to make contact. Josuke fears turtles, but he recognizes them as living beings with as much a right to exist and be treated fairly as anyone else. He is visibly angry when the turtle is smashed, visibly disgusted when he has to actually touch it to put it back in the fountain, but he still uses his power to heal its injury and picks it up with his own two hands to put it back.

All I'll say to cap this for now is that Josuke is my personal favorite Jojo, and his bit with the turtle touches on a lot of the reasons why.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 24, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, two things:

Xibanya posted:

Jotaro narrates that he hadn't stopped time in ten years (I guess since he fought DIO? But what about when he bumped into Koichi at the start of chapter one? Maybe he means he hadn't stopped time in combat since then?) Then poo poo gets pretty weird. Jotaro's cap starts mending itself...well, sort of.
Jotaro didn't use time stop to grab all of Koichi's things, he just grabbed them really, really quickly. Star Platinum is pretty fast even without needing to stop time. Lest we forget, Jotaro was fast enough in chapter one of his own introduction to grab a bullet in mid-flight.

The other thing is to not worry about Koichi. He might start out as the Watson of Part 4, but he grows into more pretty quickly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The deal with Josuke's hair is explained in time. Suffice to say, as with Jotaro, Josuke is someone who has a lot going on under the surface and not everything always bubbles to the top. He's more honest with his emotions than Jotaro, hence the mood swings, but he's still got some stuff he keeps on the down low.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alright, alright, my bad.

I tend to not think of simply stating "This thing will be clarified in the future" as much of a spoiler, but you're not the first person to disagree with me on that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

To draw some attention back to what's already been discussed, another thing these early chapters do a good job of is establishing Josuke as someone who - rather than being a naive or only recently gifted newcomer - is at least casually familiar with the world of stands and intimately familiar with what his own stand can do. He doesn't hesitate to attack the woman and the thug because he knows shell be fine. The possibility that she might be permanently injured in some way never seems to cross his mind, and of course leaving the knife inside the thug (without it cutting him open from within) is both skillful and exactly the sort of dick move a young Joseph Joestar would be proud of.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Araki's definitely still feeling these characters out
It's also worth nothing that Araki (allegedly) planned on concluding Jojo with Part 3, but since it became super popular he decided to keep going. Much like Josuke himself, Part 4 was very much Araki's unplanned baby, which makes it a bit sweeter that it's also his (confirmed) favorite part he's drawn.

Also also, who doesn't love watching Araki get a feel for things? I always dig these "Nebulous" bits that come right at the start of a new part where you can tell Araki's still trying to decide who's who and what's what.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Diamond is Unbreakable is the "Official," after-the-fact title assigned by Araki, just one time I think the guys who made ASB put up a trailer that translated it as Diamond is Not Crash and a bunch of idiots switched to that and now there's confusion among the Western fanbase.

Probably a lot of overlap with the people who insist it's Telence T. D'Arby and Tohth.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 24, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't remember exactly when Diamond is Not Crash starting circulating, but I do know that Diamond is Unbreakable was the previously accepted title until suddenly this new one cropped up.

Might not have been ASB, but it was some tertiary source (i.e., not Araki).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hmm, might be a disconnect then between Japan and the rest of us. I've been reading Jojo for nearly ten years but I only heard that iteration of Part 4's title relatively recently.

Wikipedia doesn't provide a source for that claim, nor does the Jojo wikia, but now I'm curious where it did originate if it predates my memory of it.

Something to look into I guess. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No kind and loving god would intend for people to experience Jojo with lower quality art.

The anime exists as a compromise for those who cannot bear to look upon the magnificence of Araki's original works.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 25, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Setting aside kayfabe, I agree and am actually super grateful for the anime raising the series' profile as a whole.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypot3CYECwE

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not much for me to comment on here. It's a tense little chapter and I think you did it justice.

One small thing though, not that it's a big deal:

Xibanya posted:

Oh, so the bad guy has a name, it’s Angelo. Um, should have guessed that from the title. Oh well. Jotaro explains to Josuke that Angelo’s stand can be controlled from a distance. Jotaro then says he’ll come over to Josuke’s immediately and until then Josuke should avoid eating or drinking anything and all sources of water. Josuke reacts with shock.
If you were a kid growing up in Japan, reading the latest Jojo in Weekly Shounen Jump, the title of this chapter would've been "Aqua Necklace." If later on you decided to buy the physical volume containing said chapter, you would have found it (along with the rest of the chapters in this sequence) renamed "Josuke Higashikata! Meets Anjuro ①." This is actually the case for most Jojo chapters, being named one thing while running in the magazine, only to have it changed for the collected volumes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I always assumed Josuke was faster, more efficient in this case because his mom's life was in danger, in this case creating contrast between comical anger (at his hair being insulted) and righteous anger (at having someone he loves threatened). Much like how you have Jotaro hitting harder, punching faster, ultimately mastering the time stop in order to beat Dio fueled entirely by his anger, Josuke is framed in a similar manner. Now he's "Serious."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I keep writing and deleting posts realizing that I'm drawing off future knowledge and thematic payoffs.

Know that I have quite a bit to say about Ryohei's death, but won't be able to talk about much of it until we're a bit further on.

That said, I will have some stuff to say about Angelo after Sunday's update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ascalapha odorata posted:

Bad Seafood can rap our knuckles if we're wrong but I think that bato.to is kosher - there have been occasions where stuff that couldn't be there was removed for copyright reasons (like Berserk or Gangsta, I think?) so if it's there, it should be ok. Good on you for checking though. :)

e: for example, bato.to is linked in the manga thread frequently so I've taken that as tacit approval that it's ok to link here providing that the material is not available in the US.
My official policy in this case would be that it's better to ask forgiveness than seek permission.

• Locked thread