Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

I have one scene in mind, but it won't be relevant for a while.

The first time I saw it was Friday...how do I say it? I had a boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

It's Friday! "Huh?" F-R-I-D-A-Y! It's Friday! "Fried eggs? I wanted mine scrambled."

Also good. I'd add "what a terrible Friday" to the list eventually.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That PV song is either the OP or Josuke's theme (I'm leaning towards the latter) and either way it's pretty great.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jojo is fabulous as all hell, but I never really got "gay" from it because everyone is Macho As gently caress (except for Dio but Dio is a vampire) 24/7. Even that "band of brothers' love" thing is somewhat understated compared to other media.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Even DIO's macho in his own way. He's an extremely commanding presence and demands the respect of those around him with it. He dresses a lot more flamboyantly than most characters (though his jewellery isn't especially more flashy than Josuke's for example) but his character is written to be macho and that comes across pretty well too. Most of DIO's more homoerotic parts that people tend to class him as "gay" with are post script in the end, like all of Part 4 onwards.

Sure, my point is more that the modern depiction of vampires is about seduction, regardless of sexuality. He's commanding, but it's not through posturing, he's the superior being that everyone should love.

Serperoth posted:

This is similar to how I feel about JoJos and machismo. It's a very masculine thing, the characters are trim and muscular (not bodybuilders, but STR wasn't their dump stat by any stretch), engaging in traditional macho pasttimes (fighting), but without a lot of the trappings of modern masculinity. A lot of guys now (or even in 1990) wouldn't own $2k clothes (Jotaro in Part 3 does), because CLOTHES ARE 4 GIRLS (not that I agree), whereas JJBA revels in that kind of extravagance.
Reminds me a bit of what little that I've read from Victorian stuff (maybe it's just that I'm reading Pride and Prejudice now), or even later stuff (Downton Abbey for example). Like, Josuke isn't "well-tailored" as an explicit gently caress-you to anyone, it's just that the notion that men who take such good care in their appearance doesn't seem to exist in JoJo.

It's all thanks to Araki's high fashion influence. I mean, other than the way they look (and how much they care about their expensive clothing), there's not a lot of masculinity subversion going on in Jojo. But just the fact that they dress like catwalk models (and really, that's more of a thing post-part 4) is enough to throw people for a loop.

Dias fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 24, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Let's be super real, people love DIO for showing off Jonathan's huge cock at all opportunities.

I mean, it makes for a convincing argument.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've always loved the way Araki draws blood and gore. Just look at that hit Hazamada takes: the way the blood just soars out of him when he gets hit by the helmet manages to be both comically absurd and deadly serious.

Araki does that thing where every single wound, regardless of how deep or serious, splutters out blood like a fountain. It is great, although a bit counter-productive for telling how serious an injury was.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, I really like how helpful Echoes is fighting Surface, in really clever and creative ways. It's such a step up from the introduction. I know I was pretty obtuse the last time it got brought up but introducing it by having Koichi essentially shout his way to victory still doesn't sit right. It just seems so... inelegant.

I stand (heh) by my original statement about Echoes - it is kinda broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Goblin is a band that did horror movie soundtracks for 20+ years, including pretty much everything Dario Argento did. They're awesome, and many of the movies they scored are in Araki's list of horror movies he liked and he loves to name Stands after bands/songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrbfgemL4yc

Also if you've been kinda aware of EDM in the last decade, it's where the sample for this comes from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QCBkwmsOk0

And yeah, holy poo poo, considering Araki's love of (a) Italy, (b) Horror Movies and (c) Prog Rock, Goblin was kind of a shoe-in for a Stand name, right?

• Locked thread