Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

Big Trouble in Little Morioh

It's Always Sunny in Morioh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
A prequel about Josuke's grandpa bringing Stand users to justice, called "Morioh".

I'm actually really upset Josuke couldn't save his grandpa because he owned.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Normie Slayer posted:

How is the Jonathan/Dio hate-gently caress scene?

As good as your dreams make it, as always

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Goofy, gaudy ornaments are one of the best things about Araki's character designs.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
When I first started reading Part 4 I had the same issues with Josuke as Xibanya does, and Koichi really. Suffice to say, they come in to their own before very long. Araki's definitely still feeling these characters out, and I have every confidence they'll grow on you.

Josuke's Stand is also real good for some body horror, in case you hadn't already guessed. :P

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

Josuke having three Jo's would make sense, because he's the best and most JoJo JoJoJo.

That's the worst name I've ever heard.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I somehow totally forgot Angelo just eats a dog's head.

I always found it odd how nonchalantly Josuke's mom reacted to having a hole punched through her as well. It's clear that his Stand is fast, keeping up with Star Platinum and all, but surely it isn't fast enough for her to just go about her business.

It's possible that Araki simply didn't think we needed another panel reflecting a character's confusion at what the gently caress happened to them, but maybe Josuke does this all the time. Like if his mom eats something that upsets her stomach, he just rips the food out and tosses it in the trash.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I just thought the idea of Josuke solving mundane problems through intense mutilation was amusing. :kiddo:

I'm sure Araki was just demonstrating that Josuke is just so skilled with his Stand he can do stuff like this no problem.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I know someone who started to watch Jojo, and quit like 5 episodes into Part 3 and refuses to watch the rest of it. What a sad person.

Some people simply do not deserve JoJo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You bring up some really good points about Angelo, Bad Seafood. The way Araki brings his characters down to earth is probably what makes me love Part 4 so much.

The point about Angelo's Stand being a real threat to Jotaro is probably the most important thing. During Stardust Crusaders, Araki played around with the idea of Stands a lot, but they really lacked any sense of identity. A lot of the concepts felt very rushed and low-effort, interesting aesthetically but not in execution. Hell, one was just the sun and was called The Sun. They also often seemed like loose, shallow homages to horror movies, which makes for cool trivia but not always good fights.

So when you hear a JoJo fan talking about how awesome Stands are, they're probably talking about Part 4 and on. Araki starts putting a ton of thought into what each Stand can do, and how they can interact with the world around them. Just like Angelo eating a burger and sipping a cola, working around the limitations of his Stand and manipulating the environment to his benefit makes it feel like he's more real. Thinking back, I can actually name you a ton of Stand users in Diamond is Unbreakable, but if I was trying to identify the Stand users in Stardust Crusaders, I'd have to name their Stand or describe their power most of the time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Such a satisfying conclusion for a first villain. We knew Josuke could kick rear end, but Araki wastes no time in giving him a villain to let loose against. Now we have a benchmark for what to expect when a truly evil person makes him angry, and it's scary in a way Jotaro could never manage.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
These next few chapters are where Diamond is Unbreakable seems to find its footing, imo. We learn a lot about these characters, especially Josuke. The end of this arc is where this part stopped being a curiosity and started being something I couldn't stop reading.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Okuyasu is amazing, and would be my favorite stand user in this part if not for a bunch of later stand users.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Keicho is clearly trying to breed Stands with great IVs so he can compete at the pro level. Still isn't as grindy as Pokemon, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
There are few people who ended up bigger losers at the Stand lottery than Joseph.

Some of those few are in Part 4 :getin:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm trying to recall some terrible Stands from Part 4, but I can't really think of one.

Well, unless you mean Love Deluxe, but we never see the weaknesses of that Stand.

Responded in the spoiler thread

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The Nijimura Brothers chapters are such a roller coaster. One of the things I find most interesting about it is the setting of this decrepit mansion. It seems so labyrinthine and oppressive, and it really keeps the tension up knowing Josuke and Koichi could be attacked at any moment.

It's also very cool how Keicho started out as this shadowy menace, almost a part of the mansion itself, and now he's an emotional and physical wreck. Kind of fits into the haunted house motif: face your fears and take a walk through the house, and somehow all those spooky qualities disappear. All that's left is a busted up old house.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Poor Koichi, he really can't catch a break.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

All of JoJo is amazing but I'm pretty much convinced that Tonio's chapter is the best JoJo has ever been.

There's some other really strong contenders for that honor in part 4, but that's a famously popular chapter for a reason.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

hello, this comic made me sad but also happy and I hope it does the same for you

Josuke, best dude :3:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK0d6SIkjOM

have a brief clip of the josuke + okuyasu combo intro in the new jojo's game, eyes of heaven

Eyes of Heaven still looks like a crap game but at least they get some things right.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Josuke's low motor in these chapters might be to demonstrate what Okuyasu brings to the dynamic. Josuke getting more heated in this scenario wouldn't be wildly out of character, but he wouldn't slug someone like that unless someone hit a trigger point. So instead, Okuyasu handles being aggressive and Josuke gets an opportunity to find another way.

Araki's probably just exaggerating these traits to get all that across, but I like to think the two have grown close enough to naturally play off of each other.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's too bad no one ever tried to scam Goku, would have made Namek a cakewalk.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Amaryllis/Strawberry Jan did a comic update that is my favorite morioh-comix theirs yet
http://strawberry-jan.tumblr.com/post/131882976879/the-colour-scheme-from-the-previous-page-returns

I hate to nitpick, because the comic is great, but there's a certain character there we won't know about for quite some time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Fair enough, Jolyne in Morioh is the premise of all the best JoJo fanart.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It is good that you survived jojo posing, it can be terribly dangerous.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I gotta admit, I don't think the horror of a sound effect constantly going off in my head ever did it for me. I guess Kobayashi hates it, so it functions, but I never really bought it. Maybe that's just me personally.

It's one particular that I think the anime can do better justice on.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

Imagine the same sound being played over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Directly into your ear. Forever.

Thing is, when you've lived in a rural area all your life you get used to certain sounds playing for long periods of time. It becomes background noise. Araki does his best to tell me that it's really bad, but I think I really need to hear it to be sold on it. My imagination only goes so far after I've learned to tune out the loud din of farm equipment running just across the street for hours on end.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

deadly_pudding posted:

Jotaro's hidden repertoire of stupid party tricks is my favorite thing about that episode. It's like a final confirmation of all the little hints about how he's secretly a big goony mama's boy who had no friends and infinite free time up until his Stand first appeared. He can totally do that Thing With The Cigarette without even using Star Platinum to cheat, and that's awesome.

If Araki ever decided to go back and make a one-shot of Jotaro gradually learning his trick, I'd love it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

There are so many things that I super love about Stand designs and Crazy Diamond in particular, yes. It functions really well as a sort of extension of Josuke, like Star Platinum's actually a reflection of Jotaro if he didn't mask stuff naturally.

I also forgot, new morioh-comix from Amaryllis (I will just be the designated morioh-comix reposter I suppose ahahha)

http://strawberry-jan.tumblr.com/post/132773261279

Xibanya, this one doesn't have any spoilers per se but it does directly reference a panel from later on in DiU (that isn't a spoiler in any real way, it's just... you'll basically be seeing a panel replicated so part of the joke might not work for you until you get to that part?).

Jolyene is my favorite JoJo in fan comics :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
For the record, I'm willing to buy that Kobayashi is in genuine panic and anguish over the sounds, I just don't like this Stand, Echoes, very much. I think it has a lot to do with the reasons you lay out at the end, where the story never quite got into that sweet spot that makes me love Part 4 so much. Koichi kind of has a hard time carrying a story on his own; we've seen that his normal self hides a deep potential for courage and initiative, but it all still kind of comes off as wishy-washy. The whole ending of letting Kobayashi suck up to him in particular does a lot to undermine everything: it's a good joke, but would Koichi really let Kobayashi hang around him? Does he take pleasure at this man's groveling? That seems way too sadistic for Koichi. Is he giving this jerk a chance to atone? It would seem smarter to tell him to stay the hell away, especially since he obviously can't trust this guy.

It all feels like an elaborate gag, which is weird because it's not as if Araki can't do serious character drama without mining humor from it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fat_Cow posted:

Are they gonna edit Josuke's hair to make it less ugly?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alcharagia posted:

and then santana was like

and that dude was like

and i was like

same

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alcharagia posted:

Not gonna lie, Wombo et al. are cool but I kinda miss Dio

DIO's a hard game to follow up but these dudes have their own charm

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think some of the images were messed up in your let's read, Xibanya. A few panels repeat and you draw attention to panels that aren't posted.

Momomo posted:

I just assumed Kobayashi's trying way too hard to come off as genuine and subservant to Koichi, so he acts really surprised at everything he does.

This was my take, as well. Kobayashi's a duplicitous guy, and he isn't very good at subtlety. I think his reaction to Josuke insulting his dubious honor was meant to illustrate this, as well. Something similar happened in that last arc when he realizes the gang could see his Stand. When he isn't running a con, Kobayashi doesn't really have any moderation.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 28, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Lisa Lisa in her beetle scarf

I'm actually 100% cool with bugs and I like the hell out of beetles but I'm so so on their beetle protection scarves. There, I said it.

Personally I think both Straights and Lisa Lisa rock that poo poo, but I guess it's a matter of taste

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alcharagia posted:

oh yeah those are the same scarves aren't they

definitely the same type

jojo hosed up the first one with a shitload of explosives, you'd think he'd have more respect for fashion

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alcharagia posted:

so what you're saying is that the pillar men want to become the undefeated of the east, west, north, south, and center; to become super aja, and be champions of all?

god I can't wait until you find out exactly what kars has in mind

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Actually I suppose that picture can go either way in terms of your opinion about his respect for fashion

Imagine all the tricks he can hide in that hat monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
esidisi is so loving gross

• Locked thread