Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Can confirm, 7th Stand User is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
The only part that really struck me as relying on pure luck multiple times was Battle Tendency. Stone Ocean has a ton of brutal fights and every victory is earned through persistence or outsmarting the enemy. There isn't really a fight I can think of at the top of my head that was outright just lucking out besides maybe Weather Report making his own OC to beat Bohemian Rhapsody. And even then, he's operating under the rules of the stand.

It's time to read all of JoJo's again.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
It works especially if Okuyasu is Kuwabara.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Part 4 never

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
It honestly is my favorite finale, or at least favorite final fight. Just on principle that everyone has a hand in taking down Kira. Even Reimi and Arnold.. And Another One Bites the Dust is a great prelude to boot.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yikes, that Alessi two-parter was genuinely unpleasant to watch. For once I wouldn't have minded if they'd just unambiguously killed the gently caress out of him, evil vampire overlords and megalomanic ancient supermen are one thing but paedophiles and child murderers can just get straight out

jfc Alessi is not a pedophile. He is a creep, a jerk, a bully, and so forth. He is not a pedophile.

I can't wait for anime people to accuse Kira of being a pedophile.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
No, he is a loving terrible human being, but I just think there is an important distinction to make between someone who wants to have sex with children and someone who preys off the weak and thrives on tormenting them. I understand that it is a retreaded topic and that is part of my annoyance for posting in response to it, but I am making the argument that there is nothing in those episodes to suggest that Alessi is a pedophile. It is not to defend his character or poo poo like that, but JoJo's is full of villains who deprive the heroes of strength and force them into horrible, uphill battles; villains that see the terror struck in the eyes of the heroes and draw pleasure from it. It is sort of a shallow word to use, but they are bullies. I am arguing that Alessi is no different from those other characters. Yes, there is unpleasant imagery in it (Jesus Christ that fetus), but I don't think Alessi literally wanted to perolololol Polnareff.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Oh right he just gets his thrills out of chasing down and murdering kids, that's a whole other ballpark right?

Also this is the anime thread fuckwit, leave your high horse at the door

Yes, this is the anime thread. The same one that is ambiguously allowing discussion of the events of Diamond is Unbreakable that half the thread have already completed. Sorry if I came off as a...JoJo's elitist or something but I ain't attacking you, so cool it.

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 20, 2015

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Alessi does what he does because he is lower than dirt. I'm not saying it's an issue why he does it, but how he does it. He debilitates Polnareff, and Polnareff must overcome the limitation put on him from Alessi's stand and defeat him. Polnareff takes advantage of his own weakened state to find an opening and deal a critical blow to Alessi. This sort of model is seen in several fights throughout the series and has very much defined the series: The heroes have to play by the rules of the enemy. Hell, the fight against Mariah last episode went down the same way. Joseph and Avdol struggle with being magnetized and the single critical attack was performed by taking advantage of the magnetism to crush Mariah in a pincer attack. It's just... unfortunate? that Alessi's way of impairing the heroes is turning them into children and then overpowering them.

I literally just wanted to make a passing comment to say I am slightly annoyed by the retread of the topic and Alessi is not a pedophile. It's not a big thing. It's just matter-of-fact.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
:rip: Kenny G

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
It was every bit as good as I hoped it would be.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
In ASB, they were afraid to use Stray Cat of all things :psyduck:

Another really bad one is that they called a stand Zipper Man lol

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
No anime, no life.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
I always pictured Jotaro saying Star Platinum's The World in a really rushed way, because that is a mouthful for something that happens instantly.

Like, I imagine him practicing saying it in advance so as not to fumble.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
I think that All the Young Dudes by Mott the Hoople would be a good fit. The song feels really bubbly and full of youthful energy in spite of its dark lyrics, suiting itself well to the mood of Part 4. Also, it was originally written by David Bowie. While most people took the song to be a great anthem for the era of glam rock, he disagrees, saying that instead of it being a hymn to the youth it is a warning for destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Although I don't like Angelo all too much I do kind of appreciate his place in Part 4. He's not some incredible ancient force or the henchman of a sexy vampire. He's just a criminal. A pretty disturbing one and is a little over the top in his depravity, but he's small-time compared to previous villains. He serves no higher power and is not in search of a legendary treasure; he is just a menace to the community.

I jumped into Part 4 immediately after completing Stardust Crusaders. Now, I am of the mind that Araki generally has a vision for the type of story he wants to tell but expresses it in new, experimental ways with each part. Just as Araki is testing the waters and finding what fits I find myself just touching the shoals with my toes so to speak. What I'm reading is good; it's unequivocally JoJo's, but I don't get totally immersed until I get a sense that Araki is more confident in expressing the material, which of course varies from part to part. Part 4 and Part 2 are the only parts that I picked up and marathoned immediately after starting. There's something I find appealing about the low-key villain and intimate setting compared to Stardust Crusader's globetrotting and shadowy mastermind. I don't remember if it as just the novelty of this type of setting in JoJo's, but it immediately resonated with me.

So, I'm curious. How did folks first respond to the start of Part 4? Did you have difficulties transitioning from glorious DIO? Also, how does Angelo feel as a villain?

Also, I wish Araki renamed Angelo's stand Aqualung.

• Locked thread