Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
"This is the seventh already? Chinese?" made my day.

It's hard to make out from the scans but it seems to be the infamous ABAJ.

Actually means something similar to "ah..." from what I've heard. But your interpretation is fine, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tarezax posted:

It's not "similar" to "ah", it is literally the sound "ah".

Well there you have it. I have no idea why the Duwang team decided this particular character didn't merit being translated but whatever, that's Duwang for you.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, seriously. Part 5 has a weak translation but it's still a great part. The fights are amazing and it's super fabulous. Read the good translation to get into it and the weaker one to ride it 'till the end.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Xibanya, have you ever played any of the Persona games? (Gonna spoiler this next bit to be 100% safe, but I'm keeping it as spoiler-free as possible:) There are some obvious parallels between Diamond is Unbreakable and Persona 4. For starters, both are the fourth part of their respective titles, the persona games are all about high schoolers who can summon punchghosts, and persona 4 also takes place in a small, somewhat boring village. There's more interesting stuff, but it won't come up for a long time. There's also a rain motif, but that seems more of a coincidence than a reference to these Jojo chapters.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Xibanya posted:

Deltasquid - I have started Persona 4 and I've gotten past the first dungeon but I'm getting frustrated because I'm answering all the dialog trees as if I were a sassy gay man and the game doesn't seem to be getting it. :mad:

Excellent. Don't forget to tease Yosuke at every opportunity. (Hey, look at that! Another similarity! Although their names are written with different kanji, I believe.)

But yeah, then you already know Persona takes the tarot motif like early Stardust Crusaders and runs with it. The Persona 4 Arena games also play quite similarly to the Capcom Jojo fighting game, and Persona Q has a scene that's very reminiscent of the part at the end of SC where the main cast crashes through the wall of Dio's mansion with the sun behind them (right before Nukesaku gets offed)

Jojo has really influenced modern anime and manga to the point where most Western fans of the medium have most likely already encountered tons of references to or things inspired by Jojo without even realizing it.

That said, I never noticed the glove before, either. I wonder how many other small things my untrained eyes have missed. I really appreciate this Let's Read, Xibanya!

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 31, 2015

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ChaosArgate posted:

The full picture has everyone doing a JoJo pose too! It's just that half of them are doing JoJos we haven't covered in this thread yet.

Hence why I went with the cropped picture. And also because Xibanya hasn't met the rest of the Persona 4 cast yet.

It all checks out.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'd like to thank you, Xibanya. I always thought these chapters dragged on too much but your analysis made me appreciate the emotionally loaded twists in it.

Also, we've finally hit the point where I can continue the comparison with Persona 4.
(spoilers for P4's first month or so.)

http://i.cubeupload.com/fy4d2M.jpg

Now we have a murder mystery on our hands, with a corpse hanging from electric cables!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Josuke also says "great" (or rather, gureito :v: ) in one of his pre-battle lines in ASB.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm willing to get as much of you guys about part 1 as is possible. I find it the weakest part overall but you might change that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Xib: Do whatever format you like! Just know that more Let's Read Part 4 is always good in my books.

alcharagia: you remind me of me when I first witnessed Jojo. Never stop doing this.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Xibanya posted:

gasp gasp gasp

I am here, caught up on the thread and hella hype!

Shiiiit I owe ya'll a let's read! While I'm back in action though, any thoughts on any neato anime vs manga analysis I can do while we're here? I'm hype to get back on Jojos now that vidya has slowed down. (Guess who had a table at SXSW :smuggo:) additionally, someone not from SA has sent me some cool materials about the Taiwanese translation that was used to make the Duwang scans so I'll review those and have those up for everyone soon.

Once the anime has started, I'm wondering if it would be more entertaining to pivot the let's read to focus on comparing the episodes with the manga. Thoughts? Or should I carry on as I have. I have to admit everything I've done has been quite "labor intensive" so I'm pretty sure I'll fall behind the anime in no time. (Great, that's embarrassing.)

Your work so far has been great. Personally, I'd like you to go on as you did, because I had never really given much thought about composition or evoking certain effects/emotions in comic books before and I'm really interested in that kind of thing. But I'd certainly also enjoy a comparison, so just do whatever you like most. Maybe switch it up; if there are large differences between the two, go more in depth about that. If not, you can always just analyze the manga itself and touch upon the anime where interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yay, this made my day! I think your analysis is always really informative, xibanya. I never heard about the effect of having panels "bleed" off the page like that explained before.

• Locked thread