Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Soulcleaver posted:

Best post from previous thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3VkXipeCBI

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
[quote="Waffleman_"post="449914050"]
Fun fact: In the localization of All-Star Battle, Crazy Diamond is renamed Shining Diamond.
[/quote]

Like the eyes of the cat in the black and blue... something is coming for you!!!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Supersonic Shine posted:

Okuyasu the Libertarian makes me laugh a lot more than it should. It makes me think of him with yellow clothing and a zig-zag mustache.

...you think all libertarians are Wario? :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ascalapha odorata posted:

Screw the Scott Pilgrim part, back up to the part where less than zero is heralded as great literature. How does that happen? Why? Is there no god????

I'm not sure if I would herald it as great literature but it's basically "Catcher in the Rye but less insufferable" and I thought it was a pretty fun read

I also love Bret Easton Ellis' writing style though so I may be biased

e: also I feel like the spoiler stuff has been really limited in this thread? it's pretty much only coming up when relevant to the let's read, and nobody's posting untagged poo poo

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 29, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just thought Holden was kind of an obnoxious dick and it seemed like most of his problems were of his own making when I read it, frankly. He's possible to understand and empathize with, but it's more of a "there but by the grace of God go I" thing than a character who's actually interesting to read about. Less than Zero shifts the focus from the protagonist's depression to the effect that the world around the protagonist has on him and his social group, which I thought worked a lot better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xibanya posted:

Doesn't seem that weird. Friend of mine I mentioned earlier is Taiwanese but his family is very pro-Japan and speaks Japanese in the home for political/historical reasons I could also make a big effort post about.

:stonk:

that, uh, that is not a good look for them frankly

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xibanya posted:

e e: lord of butt, I'm well aware but diving into that is beyond the scope of this thread!

:agreed:, wasn't intending for you to dive into it, just kinda made me go "wait, what?"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BaDandy posted:

Dio and fate :words:

That was a good loving post, you should totally do more like this if you have the time/energy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hoobajoo posted:

Interesting. Phantom Blood is the first time a Shonen Jump protagonist straight-up died, iirc, so it makes sense Araki was worried about that,

I wouldn't say it's the first time a shonen protagonist died, but JJBA is the first series to have the protagonist die before the ending, I think.

(Unless you count Devilman, there's varying interpretations of how the Akira/Amon thing works in the manga and the 70s anime straight-up says that Akira is dead and Amon is possessing an Akira-shaped meat puppet.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Butt Ghost posted:

I didn't know they made a FFVII manga

it's Hellsing

Hellsing is insanely loving epic, though not as good as JoJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR-tiYHmSVg

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

I am pretty sure he was joking.

I assumed good faith because it took me a few before I recognized what manga that was :shobon:

e: also, reading the manga and watching Ultimate is probably the way to go, but if you can only do one, watch Ultimate. And watch it dubbed, the dub actors are all incredible whereas the japanese actors are kinda meh (Jouji Nakata and Crispin Freeman are about equally good Alucards, but everyone else is worse in Japanese).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 8, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is a beautiful thing and also reminds me that I need to finish watching the Three Kings Arc.

Ugh, yeah. Sensui was pretty cool when he was fighting as his first personality. His true self fighting Yusuke was literally just DBZ, which kinda sucks given the way they were building up Psychics as being similar to Stand Users.

the cool thing about YYH is that there is way, way, WAY more pre-bad YYH than post-bad, and even "bad" YYH is still pretty okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xibanya posted:

Oh yeah so then they presumably go on to beat the poo poo out of Hazamada.

I, uh. Not to take this thread in an unnecessarily dark direction, but they're probably doing something significantly worse than beating him up if they're dragging him off to "the shitters," given that they were apparently okay with smashing his face in broad daylight. :stare:

• Locked thread