Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't remember exactly when Diamond is Not Crash starting circulating, but I do know that Diamond is Unbreakable was the previously accepted title until suddenly this new one cropped up.

Might not have been ASB, but it was some tertiary source (i.e., not Araki).

Diamond is not Crash has been Part 4's official English subtitle in Japan for a very long time, at least since the Shueisha printing published from 2004, if I'm reading Wikipedia right. Now, anyone who with working English knowledge and half a brain would realize that "Diamond is not Crash" doesn't actually mean anything, so all the western translations just used Diamond is Unbreakable. However, it wasn't until Jojoveller in 2013 that Japan officially switched as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

"Diamond is not Crash" was presented as the English subtitle for Part 4 on Japanese Wikipedia since 2005 at the earliest. Although there was a note explaining that it is known as Diamond is Unbreakable in English-speaking circles, the page wasn't edited to use DiU as the official subtitle until 2013. I'm guessing hardly anyone in the western community knew or cared until recently because it's obviously just a mistranslation of the Japanese title.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I don't think this is the only time someone calls Koichi a "pumpkin". It's supposed to be a dig at his hairstyle.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Xibanya posted:

But the monster doesn't attack again, it just snatches its severed hand and goes and sits in the corner. Maybe it's grounded.
Although I wouldn't expect anyone who can't read Japanese to pick up on this, the sound effects make it clear that Nijimura Sr. is eating his severed hand.

Xibanya posted:

"He's been doing the same thing everyday for ten years. He takes everything out of the box and then cries for a few days."

There's also a bit of a mistranslation in the second half of this line. It's supposed to be "Confiscate the box from him and he'll cry for days on end."
I feel there's also some meaning lost on the lines from the next two pages which start with "I tell you what to do, you have to listen!" It's supposed to be something like, "Give him some 'discipline' and he'll do as he's told,\ but nothing can convince him to stop digging through the box!"
And for an additional fun translation fact, Keicho's Navy SEAL in one of the chapters before was originally a Green Beret. Who knows why that was ever changed.

Xibanya posted:

Personally in a setting like this I think "onii-san" and such should be translated as the character's name because in English "brother" sounds a little unnatural, but that's neither here nor there.

Just FYI, it's not "onii-san". Okuyasu uses "aniki" which means kinda the same thing but carries an additional connotation of a manly bond of respect and admiration. Y'all are totally selling Keicho short, by the way. He be a motherfucker and he may be half-insane at this point, but he's still looking out for his family.

tiistai posted:

I wish at least the Colored scans had done some basic TL checking instead of just using the Invincible Trio version almost as is.

The people doing the colored scans are just redrawers and typesetters. I don't think they have anyone qualified to check translations.

ascalapha odorata posted:

whoever previously did some end chapters in color changed a few things (including what I had thought was a bit of a character catchphrase!!! Argh!)

Care to tell me what this was?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I believe Duwang is translated from the licensed release of JJBA by Tong Li Comics. If you don't live in Taiwan, you'll probably have to order through your local Kinokuniya or something, but at any rate, I doubt it's all that faithful to Araki's original script.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Xibanya posted:

We zoom in to almost ground level as Koichi mentions that Josuke wasn’t that pleased to have Okuyasu as a neighbor. “Great, that’s some heavy poo poo.” I read the Duwang version of this chapter first in order to capture a ~totally authentic~ reaction for the Let’s Cold Read video, and the Duwang translation says Josuke was “not being friendly with” [Okuyasu]. As you can hear in the Let’s Cold Read, I was pretty sad to hear that but this translation is less depressing and adds some characterization. Two close friends of mine have just gone through breakups or near-breakups and while I love them to pieces, staying patient and attentive around someone who’s an emotional wreck is draining. So actually this shows how to Josuke whether or not he would hang out with Okuyasu now that they’ve met was never even in question. It’s not “oh I guess I’ll run into him every now and then,” it’s “Okuyasu is now my friend and now and I can’t just act like everything with him is fine. Great, that’s some heavy poo poo.” That’s kind of awesome.

I suppose I should weigh in as the resident guy who actually understands Japanese, but I don't really have much to say. I took "heavy" to mean that Josuke was unhappy about having to live down the street from Okuyasu and also his mutant dad when Okuyasu was previously attempting to kill him and Koichi, but I guess that's up to your personal interpretation.
Original text: 近所になる仗助は「グレートにヘビー」だなとコメントで態度がいやがっていましたけれど・・・
TL: "However, his neighbor Josuke acted unhappy about this, commenting like, 'that's greatly heavy'..."
As a note, Araki uses the words "great" and "heavy" in the original text, but they may not exactly match up with what we think they mean as actual English speakers. In fact, Josuke often uses "great" as an adverb that means something like "extremely."

Xibanya posted:

I haven't heard much about Part 5 so I look forward to forming my own opinion about it. Isn't Forums Poster Daxing Dan attached to that project?

Yep, I took it upon myself to do translations for Part 5, AKA the part that everyone seems to hate. I'd like to think I'm doing a better job than the existing translations, but that's getting into the region of sucking my own dick.

By the way, you should check the subtitle on your Slam Fighter game because as it stands, スラームファイター is more like either "Slarm Fighter" or "Slurm Fighter" and although I may be wrong, I don't think that's what you were going for. Slam is usually スラム as in スラムダンク "slam dunk" or グランドスラム "grand slam" or スラムドッグミリオネア "Slamdog Millionaire."

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Xibanya posted:

Interesting; I didn't realize the word "heavy" was actually a direct translation (I had assumed the translators had used it colloquially in the sense of serious/depressing.) But given that "heavy" isn't meant literally here either, what is the word's colloquial usage in Japanese? If Josuke's not happy about living down the street from the guy who was previously attempting to kill him, how come in the next shot we see of Josuke and Okuyasu they're walking home from school together like it ain't no thang? Of course I didn't even realize the word "great" was actually from the original either.

I don't consider myself an authority on Japanese-Englishy words, but my best guess is that heavy "mentally taxing/stressful" in this context. I guess he warms up to Okuyasu fast because Okuyasu is a chill dude when not trying to murder people and Josuke is a chill dude too, but that line states that Josuke is, at the very least, acting unhappy about Okuyasu being around in terms that are not really open for interpretation (態度がいやがっていました).

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Xibanya posted:

May need Daxing Dan to chime in on this, but if the translation is accurate, this is pretty interesting. When Kobayashi says “I can’t believe I fell for your trap,” it basically shows he would rather believe that he was outwitted than that all this was the result of the chaos of the universe. This is the same kind of thinking that makes people cling to conspiracy theories -- it is less scary to think that the events in our life are the result of someone’s plan than to realize that a lot of things are really out of anyone’s control. Now granted, all the events of this story are under the control of Araki, but I believe that it’s revealing that consciously or no, Kobayashi does not linger on the idea that Koichi had no idea that this would happen.

If you want to know, the word is はまった, which means like, to fall victim to someone's tricks or setups. I personally did not take it as an incredibly profound line but that's up to you, I guess.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I hate to break it to y'all but Kobayashi's just acting like that to set up the joke on the next panel.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Xibanya posted:

Second panel: check out the speed lines (and the jagged GO GO GO GOs) -- normally that would help us feel like this character was swiftly approaching, but we don't have any visual indicators in the character's outline, so there's this weird conflict in that the background makes us sense motion but the character appears to be stationary. Instead of speeding towards us, WE are zooming towards the stand. That with the dutch angle creates an uneasy feeling that we're on an uncontrollable collision course with this creepy entity.

For future reference, those are do's and not ゴs.

Xibanya posted:

"Hey Koichi...what is this guy talking about?" Josuke then puts on a look of petulance, one that I'm coming to recognize as an expression he wears often. "What the hell is 'Paman'?" This seems to bug whoever is controlling the stand. There are some notes here indicating that these are well known things, so is this like someone in the states claiming to have never heard of Spiderman or something? Or is it that the stand user is a geek talking about geek things and Josuke, not being a geek, naturally doesn't know about this weeaboo...uh, comic book nerd poo poo. In other words, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be unsettling because the stand is saying the kind of thing Josuke would say down to the subject matter or if it's just unsettling because it's speaking in a jocular manner with Josuke's voice. (By the way, can anybody confirm whether or not the stand's "great" here is Josuke's "gureito!"? )

Yes, Surface is going "great" like Josuke does. Also, Perman is some kids' comic by the same dude who did Doraemon, so it's probably kind of a big deal. I don't think it's unusual to expect most people to have some passing knowledge of it, but I'm not an expert on what Japanese children should or shouldn't know.

Xibanya posted:

(Weird line here: "I'm the kind of copy doll that people don't want to have." Oh, OK....? So then what kind of 'copy doll' do people actually want to have? I'm assuming this is a translation issue and that instead of copy doll the stand said 'artists' manikin' or something.)

I'd call this a case of an overly literal translation. He literally says "Copy doll" (コピー人形) in the original text. For the sort of copy doll people want, I guess read Calvin and Hobbes or something? It's not exactly an uncommon thing in kids' fiction.

My take on the lines:
おれの方はよーいなきゃいいなって思うコピー人形さ・・・ (I'm the kind of doppelganger people don't wish for.)
コピーされた者は必ずこの人形と同じポーズを取ってしまう・・・ (Whoever I copy gets forced to take the same pose as this doll.)
つまり!「あやつる人形」ってことさっ! (In a sense, you could call it a "puppet master"!)*
*Nerd fact: This doesn't come across well in translation, but there's a play on the word phrase ayatsuri ningyō (puppet, lit. manipulated doll) on that page. Hazamada instead calls Surface an ayatsuru ningyō (manipulative doll).

P.S. If Hol Horse ever joined the Jojo crew, I think the fact that he kinda murdered Avdol would have put a damper on things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Xibanya posted:

gasp gasp gasp

I am here, caught up on the thread and hella hype!

Shiiiit I owe ya'll a let's read! While I'm back in action though, any thoughts on any neato anime vs manga analysis I can do while we're here? I'm hype to get back on Jojos now that vidya has slowed down. (Guess who had a table at SXSW :smuggo:) additionally, someone not from SA has sent me some cool materials about the Taiwanese translation that was used to make the Duwang scans so I'll review those and have those up for everyone soon.

Once the anime has started, I'm wondering if it would be more entertaining to pivot the let's read to focus on comparing the episodes with the manga. Thoughts? Or should I carry on as I have. I have to admit everything I've done has been quite "labor intensive" so I'm pretty sure I'll fall behind the anime in no time. (Great, that's embarrassing.)

Oh, uh, if you never figured this out, I was wrong when I said the Duwang translation was sourced from Tong Li's translation. If you actually look at the cover pages from the scans, you'll see it's actually JOJO冒險野郎 (Jojo: Adventure Guy), published by Daran Comic. Sorry about that. It may be out of print, by the way, and Tong Li may use a different translation. The names of stands are different, at least.

• Locked thread