Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Maybe it's a function of the order in which I read everything but I have far less affinity for Joseph than most people in these threads and I feel like I must be missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Alessi was a bad man and I laughed when bad things happened to him.

Basically.

I feel like overthinking Alessi doesn't really accomplish much. He was a poo poo person and he got poo poo for it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Monaghan posted:

Tarot's card's are cool, but having stands be named after bands and songs is the loving best.

It's so much more fun.

The tarot conceit was interesting while it lasted but I never miss it once he moves on.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm fine with the length of the Sun episode but I'm clearly biased because of the quality kakyoin content.

But yes, stands get way cooler as the series progresses. I'm looking forward to the possibility of the next season because of that. Josuke is great and there's one particular stand/user who will be fun for me to see on-screen.

Stardust has good fights and all but it's the journey part that I'm more drawn to, which is why I'm bummed when people act like it only gets good once they're in Egypt.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I am still holding out for Don't Stop Me Now

That would actually be kind of cool.

All Star would make me laugh because I think it could safely be Okuyasu's theme song. :devil: I'd like Stand except that'd make me think of Get a Life every time.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

Every day before okuyasu was in my life was a waste.

Aurain posted:

The experience of never having read something going in is directly replaced by the sheer anticipation of seeing your favourite parts finally animated.

There are so many things in DiU that are going to be extremely good to watch.

Seriously, I think it'll so much more fun for people if they read the next part so then they can get super excited about how that stuff might translate in the anime.

And yes, Okuyasu is really great and so is Josuke and that's coming from someone who looked at character art for Josuke well in advance of actually reading it and thought "there is no possible way I'm going to like that guy at all, let alone more than Jotaro."

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Was this a dare. Were you daring me to post more of them because I've got a lot to pull from here.

That artist does good bro ones

Read DiU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

There are definitely scenes that I enjoy more in color and I feel sort of guilty for that but oh well. Next time I re-read I'll stick to black and white and go more slowly. It's really easy to blaze through stuff and miss interesting details. I'm trying to re-read pt 5 at a slower pace now for that reason (and because the newer translations are father along).

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

He didn't, and the colored versions are the same translation as the invincible trio. I just started re-reading invincible trio and it kicked me over to the soft & wet translation after the first chapter which I'm sort of curious about but eh, I'll stick to invincible trio again.

We already talked about color vs b&w so I'm repeating myself but this time around I'm sticking to b&w though I do assert that a few of the panels are nicer in color. But you're not going to be able to stick through the whole thing in color anyway?

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 20, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I like your perspective on Morioh, I had something a little different in mind - a sort of tidy small town that doesn't really exist anywhere outside of the setting for a horror movie. A good template for lots of horrible stuff to go down, I guess? But yours is more realistic/interesting.

I think I said earlier in this thread that I went into this part pretty sure there was absolutely no way that I'd like Josuke, because he looked utterly ridiculous to me. I ended up reading this part really quickly and the whole reason is because I was immediately sold on Josuke (though stuff that happens later really solidified it, I won't spoil that). The first glimpse of Josuke is pretty well done since it gives you a sense of his stand in a couple ways, one that's pretty subtle at first I think.

I'm pretty sure Josuke's my favorite Jojo, at the very least he seems to have the most depth to him (no offense to the other Jojos - there are reasons why Josuke ends up with the luxury of a more carefully defined character in this part).

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is why we were laughing about the Dark Blue Moon episode and the magazine during the Anubis episode, anime watchers.

Once you know this a whole wealth of dolphin jokes relating to Jotaro become available to you. It doesn't really get old, though it probably should.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, two things:
Jotaro didn't use time stop to grab all of Koichi's things, he just grabbed them really, really quickly. Star Platinum is pretty fast even without needing to stop time. Lest we forget, Jotaro was fast enough in chapter one of his own introduction to grab a bullet in mid-flight.

The other thing is to not worry about Koichi. He might start out as the Watson of Part 4, but he grows into more pretty quickly.

It's a little confusing but yes, it's a reminder of just how FAST platinum is. This is a deal where you think "ok does it really matter?" and it sort of does matter to know which aspect of platinum he's using.

Oh right, and Koichi definitely starts out one way - as you described him - but thankfully he changes a bit. He's not one of my favorite characters but my first impression was basically "ok this is just the fringe guy who never gets super involved so he can narrate things safely." Not the case.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I feel like every Joestar is uh a bit unhinged but Josuke is actually about as normal as you can get, considering everything. He's actually a teenager to me, whereas prior jjba teenagers really didn't act like it? I think that's what makes him especially endearing . VERY vague spoiler about his personality in general, I swear no actual plot details are revealed here, just broad explanation: He is a smart guy who is thrust into the same sort of extremely serious situations that are typical in the series but in this part he actually gets to, you know, be a kid here and there and just behave accordingly. The fights in this part are fantastic to see but my favorite parts are basically "teenagers in morioh being teenagers in more exaggerated jojo ways."

I know the hair thing is hard to get over since it's goofy but I swear, he's a cute lil guy if you give him a chance!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Weird, everything I'd read treated it like a duwang remnant or something.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

josuke is really good please read about him

That is not the title of part four, but it should be.

That or Josuke and Okuyasu BFF Bro Time

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

gigawhite posted:

I would prefer to watch him in moving anime form, like god intended

Here you go. A special sneak peek at DiU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AImawVGQFCs

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Xibanya posted:

A 15-year-old who considers the feelings of others? gently caress this, I quit. This manga is too unrealistic.

Haha, Josuke still does plenty of teenager-y things that are a lot of fun to watch but yes, he's also a very kindhearted guy and it's refreshing. I'm not saying that I think Jotaro is a jerk by any means but it still feels like an about-face for Jojos after the last part.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It is kind of interesting to think about the implications of a guy who can basically fix things/other people and what that does. Josuke's clearly a quick thinker (stand users are not always so, believe it or not) but he's still a kid. Doing that so spur of the moment does sorta make you wonder if he does that poo poo all the time.

What happens when you KNOW your friend/relative can do that, too?

But - I think Josuke's Stand is honestly just straight up fast enough to have done that without Tomoko having registered it. I think that was part of the point of that whole thing; to show its speed, Josuke's problem solving abilities, and the fact that he is clearly so well-versed in his own abilities that doing such a thing to a loved one doesn't even merit a second thought. Doing it to knife-tummy was different. I liked starting out with a guy who knows his abilities, more or less.

I thought I answered the question about transitioning from DIO last night but I guess I didn't, probably because it was a grumpy answer and still will be: I read through the last chunk of Part 3 way too quickly and was definitely satisfied by the resolution in terms of Jotaro/DIO and all, since it was cool, but I was still sort of bummed out by the whole thing (and mad at Joseph and Jotaro for moving on so quickly! Fuckers! Your friends are dead!) so I was really, really looking forward to Part 4's change of pace. Angelo's an interesting villain to start with.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Xibanya posted:

I know this comment was written as a joke, but I don't find the events as depicted wholly unrealistic. Grief does not follow a schedule or checklist. :geno:

Oh, definitely. And I mean what, Jotaro's going to break down? That's not Jotaro.

It was more just that I should have taken a break when reading. I even knew what happened to everyone going into it and was still pretty heartbroken over Abdul and Iggy.

One of my friends mentioned marathoning all Dio episodes when they watched SDC and I actually wanted to caution them against it for a variety of reasons, not least of which because it just seems sort of relentless to go through it all at once as a viewer. But they hated Kakyoin so I guess it worked out for them. :mad:

I mean that's why I like re-reading Part 4 in pieces like this. Going through any Jojo stuff too fast doesn't work out well, though that's normally just because you miss out on interesting details.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Gah I missed this first time around and have to respond:

Bad Seafood posted:

I always assumed Josuke was faster, more efficient in this case because his mom's life was in danger, in this case creating contrast between comical anger (at his hair being insulted) and righteous anger (at having someone he loves threatened). Much like how you have Jotaro hitting harder, punching faster, ultimately mastering the time stop in order to beat Dio fueled entirely by his anger, Josuke is framed in a similar manner. Now he's "Serious."

That's a better take than what I had and is really, really smart when you think about it. It shows how carefully Araki seems to have thought about presenting Josuke so you get a full picture of him right off the bat. He did something similar with Jotaro, just far more subtle because of Jotaro's personality (the gruff checkin with mom about how she's feeling, the sheepishness about helping out with the flesh bud, etc). Little stuff that makes a difference, honestly, because I think that's why I get so attached to these folks. Josuke's just a really fantastic character.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yah, if it's in English and it's color, that's Jojo's Colored Adventure team using Invincible Trio translations.

I usually read at bato.to and flip back and forth between color/original?

http://bato.to/read/_/200539/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-4-diamond-is-unbreakable_v29_ch271_by_the-invincible-trio

Anyway, that chapter is sad but contains an interesting Jotaro thing as, well, it's sort of high praise. I wonder what Jotaro thought the first time he stumbled across a healing Stand of some sort.

Also, backtracking a tiny bit since I think those of us who know what happens are trying not to over explain something but it's also kinda right there - maybe take another look at Josuke's description page if you're curious about the way he works. First page of the prior Angelo chapter:

this also explains why I think of Prince most of all when I read Part 4. Too bad Pussy Control never shows up as a stand.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood can rap our knuckles if we're wrong but I think that bato.to is kosher - there have been occasions where stuff that couldn't be there was removed for copyright reasons (like Berserk or Gangsta, I think?) so if it's there, it should be ok. Good on you for checking though. :)

e: for example, bato.to is linked in the manga thread frequently so I've taken that as tacit approval that it's ok to link here providing that the material is not available in the US.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 29, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't help but note that Part 4 picks up with Josuke failing to save his grandpa from a Stand while Part 3 ended with the opposite.

gently caress.

I can't link it so just the video shows but this made me laugh very hard, though that could just be because I'm extremely exhausted.

It's a Jotaro thing

http://poolnareff.tumblr.com/post/127825179702/j0taromp4

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The translation for 5 is moving along nicely, I can't begrudge anyone for wanting to wait because I honestly think it would be an immediate favorite here with a better translation. There are some spectacular fights and great Stands. Risotto Nero is badass and Guido Mista is one of my favorite JoJo characters, and they're still barely scratching the surface there in terms of cool stuff.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

In Training posted:

Remember when Kakyoin fed a baby it's own poop

Remember when you refused to show respect for the greatest JoJo character ever written

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

This chapter is great and is proof positive that slowing down to read makes a difference, because I picked up on way more this time through.

It's interesting to see Jotaro's response to Josuke. We stumbled into a quick discussion about grief cuz of that offhand thing I said but while I don't think you'd necessarily expect Jotaro to grieve here, seeing how he responds to Josuke's grief is interesting. He clearly works to be as even-keeled as possible in everything and doesn't seem to quite know what to make of a teenager who wants to appear that they can do so as well, but the hosed-up furniture shows he's failing.

Now you can clearly see why the prior guy's nose didn't go back to normal. When Josuke's mad, he can still fix things- but he might gently caress up. Obviously, yes, that's going to matter.

Xibanya posted:

Want to point out that this is an interesting character moment for Josuke. He's upset but he's trying to hide it. Seems like a pretty realistic touch for the child of a single mother. Josuke has learned earlier than most people that his emotions affect the emotions of the people around him. You also see this trait in kids who have had to step up and become a parental figure for their younger siblings for whatever reason (holler). IRL this trait has sent a lot of people to therapy as adults so I'll be interested to see how it continues to manifest in Josuke.

Yup, it's kind of why I identify with Josuke a bit. Being a teenager who has to be very grown up and maybe even somehow responsible for their parents, or at least viewed almost as an equal by parents somehow, is a tricky balance.

This chapter has two of those moments where the panels by themselves seem ridiculous. Serious moment looks absolutely not serious at all when isolated. There's one coming up in a later chapter that's REALLY out there when viewed alone.

That and the "rain?!" one are basically outofcontextjojo tumblr fodder.
__

Oh on watching SDC: I tried to get another one of my friends onboard with Jojo and tried starting with SDC because I figured they wouldn't like prior parts. I think he almost made it through an episode but groaned constantly. "This is bad, sloppy Flash, not really very pleasant to watch" and "what a dry translation [crunchyroll has]." He's translated a couple vento panels for me here and there because I wanted to see if that helped explain things and that most certainly didn't work to convert him, either.

I think Jojo fans have an odd rep anyway, I was talking with somebody about going to a convention soon and they said "are you going to dress up? Jojo cosplayers are always really, really loving weird." :smith: Wasn't going to cosplay but thanks anyway, meanie.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Soulcleaver posted:

Could Kakyion get rich selling emeralds or would they be invisible to normies and disappear after a few seconds?

They're invisible to normies and I always just assumed that he could wave a hand and they'd go away, or else it made no sense that he'd be like "hey, let's use my Stand as it won't destroy a plane!" *unleashes emerald splashua inside the cabin*

He's got parents who just take a powder to Egypt for like a month at a time or so, which made me assume that he must have a little money anyway. Kid probably didn't need to sell emeralds.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Josuke turning him into a rock is still the most messed up thing ever and simultaneously the best thing ever.

It's so terrible, but Angelo deserves so much worse.

Gotta one-up just tying the bad guy to a rock, I guess.

I had not noticed the glove foreshadowing before, either. Whoops. Chekov's glove

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm always flattered if my opinion matters enough to be rolled in elsewhere. Thank you. :)

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Had it not been for the fact that Jotaro prefaced the whole thing by asking Angelo where he got his stand since he wasn't born with it, I'd have thought maybe Josuke thought the story was ridiculous because he figured either you had it all along or whatever granted it to you was more cosmic than "an adult in a high school uniform shot me with a bow and arrow," even if the ridiculousness of the whole thing is what makes it plausible.

I have a lot of thoughts about this chapter but I can only be insufferable and say they're not only spoilers for later on in DiU but also for the series as a whole so I can't type much?

But yes, the rock body horror thing was interesting. Mostly, though, I'm excited because we meet my other favorite DiU character next chapter. :D

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite thing about Dio is a spoiler. :ssh:

Say it in the manga thread, I want to know!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Xibanya posted:

This arc was also fun for letting us see how Jotaro has developed as a man.

I can't remember if I actually typed out my thought but I really did find it funny that Jotaro was trying to pull Josuke back at the very end of the Angelo fight (for a good reason, of course, since he cared about the kid). Teenage Jotaro was fine with busting up an entire bar full of people to get to the one he wanted and certainly didn't let any onlookers get in the way of a brutal asskicking. I mean, he had a heart and everything, but clearly knew his own abilities well enough to not be concerned. He's not quite there with Josuke.

Adult Jotaro is a weird, weird creature all on his own.

edit: gah, I forgot to include what I actually came here to post. Somebody on tumblr was talking about just how much Josuke looks like his dad. I'll link the images here- they are from future panels, but there's no spoiler since you have absolutely no frame of reference. If it should still be linked anyway I can come back and edit.

http://inlovewithjojo.tumblr.com/post/128528783528/when-i-reached-part-4-i-could-not-get-over-how

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 7, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Senor Candle posted:

Did they just switch the hair? If that's all they did then wow.

Pretty sure they just switched hair.

And yes, Cups are a minor arcana suit and I don't think he was exploring that.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Suaimhneas posted:

"If I establish a card suit naming theme now, then we'll only have to fight three more enemies at most. I am a genius."

Hahahahhahhaah

This is a thing Jotaro would probably actually think, you know. OK, ok, not really. But it's a teenage Jotaro thing to say/think.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm rewatching Stardust Crusaders with a friend and I only just realized that Part 3 ends with the characters flying home in a plane without crashing.

It's a pretty magical scene, given that Jotaro is sitting in a way that can't even be possible given his height.

Where are we with the readalong. Why am I being tortured, I want to talk about my bro. Xibanya where are you!!!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Fun Fact: Okuyasu's stand, 'The Hand', is a reference the band named 'The Band'

this is because, when written out in japanese katakana, 'the band' is literally all of like one mark away from 'the hand', so it's pretty much a pun

Ha, I had wondered what the musical connection was there.

And yes, I echo the Okyuasu :allears: because he's my perfect son

We have to get further into this storyline for me to really say lots about him even in the context of the introduction but two things:

I was saying that my initial impression of Morioh was basically 'a good setting for your typical horror movie' and this is exactly the kind of trope I was hoping that'd lead to, regardless of where it goes from here or how it's handled. You obviously can't expect a traditional horror story out of Araki necessarily but the old "weird house on the corner that has something suspicious" thing is great. I really like the initial shot of the house:

Also, Koichi getting wrecked like that was really startling to me. Okuyasu looks really loving scary the first time you see him and the figure in the window is pretty creepy, too. Like the idea that these guys are hanging out in an abandoned house just shootin' people with arrows... why?

e: predictably, I uploaded the wrong picture. whoops

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 16, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

okuyasu is real and he is my friend

Okuyasu is everybody's friend.

I hate it every time Okuyasu is called stupid in DiU. In his defense it's kind of incredible to me that other teenagers would have stand mastery, like Josuke being that capable with his own should be the anomaly here. :smith:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pocket dimension. Both The Hand and Cream are terrifying to me.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Don't you dare. I will break you

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

on an unrelated note, i always thought it was funny and really in-character with how uncomfortable jotaro looks when he's talking to tomoko. the guy is probably just going 'gently caress' in his head repeatedly while trying not to sweat too much.

The entire exchange is really hilarious. I mean he's so clearly completely uncomfortable with all of it. When he's leaning into Tomoko to get a response out of her? Ha.

I can't tell if it's just that the translation isn't 100% but he's also so matter of fact. "For more information, ask your son." You half expect him to produce a sheet of paper explaining the situation to her so he can avoid talking at all.

Jotaro existing as this sort of counterpoint to everything that his grandfather embodies is really a marvel to me. Joseph is a smartmouthed womanizer. Jotaro is quiet and honestly I think of him as more or less aro ace - not autistic, just utterly lacking in social skills. Jotaro and Joseph are both crafty in their own way but I think Jotaro is supposed to be more intelligent. He's certainly sensitive and caring but the original characterization of him in SDC is somebody who just assumes people know how he feels so he doesn't think he needs to articulate it so he comes across as an rear end in a top hat. He pulls the whole thing with Tomoko around in a way that's very Adult Jotaro, where he finally seems to force himself to explain more carefully that yes, he's there to help and protect the family.

Beyond part 4 spoiler I kind of assume that, since he's now married and has a kid, he's at least had somebody reinforcing some of these norms with him so he knows to make an attempt at expressing himself more carefully.

Okuyasu getting that attack from Bad Company full in the face like that is so gross with the eye and all. I also love it that Keicho has Polnareff hair that looks like he sort of stuck it in a bucket and molded it. There's not a ton of interaction between the two brothers yet but there's just enough so you can already get a hint about the fact that Keicho seems to be taking care of Okuyasu or is behaving paternally towards him, which probably isn't a shock if it's two guys hanging out in a supposedly abandoned house together.

Keicho also makes it clear that he's shot plenty of people with the arrow, which is something you could have guessed at since he showed up out of nowhere to shoot Angelo. I knew a good amount about Okuyasu going into this (though I was given false-not-false information about him that I don't even want to put in spoilers here that totally changed the way I read his character) but didn't know how it worked with Keicho so my initial thought when this chapter started was that he was just a hosed up guy going around shooting people to give them stands. He's still hosed up but the way he said something about 'moving onto the next' with the arrow implied that there was some big plan here that made me curious.
The next part in this arc is when I think you really start to see the bro relationship and you get a really interesting (albeit not at all unexpected, given what we know) look into the way Josuke works. Man, I forgot how long this arc is. I went through it pretty quickly the first time I read it.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i genuinely like jotaro a lot more when he's not in stardust crusaders, no contest.

I had to get pretty far into SDC to realize that I finally liked Jotaro but Part 4 Jotaro is what sealed the deal. It's understandable why people aren't so into him (his sexist bullshit in SDC is not fun to revisit) but the more you see him the more you get him and it's hard not to like him once you understand how he works.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I need to do a better job of saving the fanart I come across so I can give actual attributions for poo poo

e: ha, I can't believe I remembered.

• Locked thread