Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I'm in for any excuse to reread DIU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's too short. :colbert:

Disagree, the perfect ending is one that leaves you wanting more. DIU is flawless.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurain posted:

There's at least 2 JoJo's better than Joseph.

Seconded, Joseph is great, but not peak JoJo.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The real best JoJo is all the JoJos, because each one is the best JoJo for their arc. Phantom Blood is a story of the BEST GUY versus the WORST GUY, Battle Tendency is about brains beating brawn, and Stardust Crusaders is about friendship and family. Diamond is Unbreakable is about a community banding together. Each JoJo embodies the good of their arc perfectly.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Iserlohn posted:

jfc Alessi is not a pedophile. He is a creep, a jerk, a bully, and so forth. He is not a pedophile.

I can't wait for anime people to accuse Kira of being a pedophile.

Yeah, jeez guys, he's just a child abuser. That's a really super important distinction, I guess.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Iserlohn posted:

No, he is a loving terrible human being, but I just think there is an important distinction to make between someone who wants to have sex with children and someone who preys off the weak and thrives on tormenting them. I understand that it is a retreaded topic and that is part of my annoyance for posting in response to it, but I am making the argument that there is nothing in those episodes to suggest that Alessi is a pedophile. It is not to defend his character or poo poo like that, but JoJo's is full of villains who deprive the heroes of strength and force them into horrible, uphill battles; villains that see the terror struck in the eyes of the heroes and draw pleasure from it. It is sort of a shallow word to use, but they are bullies. I am arguing that Alessi is no different from those other characters. Yes, there is unpleasant imagery in it (Jesus Christ that fetus), but I don't think Alessi literally wanted to perolololol Polnareff.

I guess I don't understand why it's an important distinction WHY he wants to abuse children, other than to pick a semantic fight. It doesn't negate anyone's visceral responses to the episodes, and I don't think it makes him any more or less of a shitbag. Other than telling someone on SA that they're wrong, why bother?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

God drat it, I wish I could ever make something as perfect as this.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

I like that DIO apparently took the time to go fetch a balla-rear end cape before starting the pursuit of his mortal enemies. Gotta look good when killng your ancestral foes.

Well, there's no need for him to rush. DIO has all the time in The World.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dexie posted:

I get Shiny Happy People and Stand, but what's the reasoning behind All Star?

It was the top pop rock song of 1999, just as Walk Like an Egyptian was top for 1987 (or whatever year parts 3&4 take place in). It also fits Josuke's carefree, flashy personality, and is basically the antithesis of Kira's desire for a quiet life.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

Stardust Crusaders takes place in 1989 while Walk Like an Egyptian was released in 1986, so that logic doesn't really hold up.

Well whatever, that's the least important reason anyway. Mainly, it fits the part's JoJo, has thematic resonance, and as a poster above stated, is owned by WB.

FWIW, I'm pulling for Stand.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Beef Chief posted:

Wasn't the reason the EDs were chosen is because those are what Araki was listening to as he was writing the series?

Yeah, all the songs are ultimately chosen by Araki. Not sure beyond that, there's a lot of apocrypha surrounding Araki and JoJo, so I'm skeptical of any Internet hearsay surrounding it.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Beef Chief posted:

I'm pretty sure this was an article where they interviewed one of the lead guys at David and he said that, like it's not heresay.

I've just never seen that article; it's entirely reasonable, but I'm not going to take it as fact off the word of goons alone.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Awesome, thanks! I think I actually read part of this article but forgot that part.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Diamond is Unbreakable is the "Official," after-the-fact title assigned by Araki, just one time I think the guys who made ASB put up a trailer that translated it as Diamond is Not Crash and a bunch of idiots switched to that and now there's confusion among the Western fanbase.

Probably a lot of overlap with the people who insist it's Telence T. D'Arby and Tohth.

I always thought Diamond is Not Crash was either a duwang-ism, or just quick and shoddy translation work. I'm reasonably confident that title was used prior to ASB.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

gigawhite posted:

I would prefer to watch him in moving anime form, like god intended

You know you can do both, right?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Iserlohn posted:

Although I don't like Angelo all too much I do kind of appreciate his place in Part 4. He's not some incredible ancient force or the henchman of a sexy vampire. He's just a criminal. A pretty disturbing one and is a little over the top in his depravity, but he's small-time compared to previous villains. He serves no higher power and is not in search of a legendary treasure; he is just a menace to the community.

I jumped into Part 4 immediately after completing Stardust Crusaders. Now, I am of the mind that Araki generally has a vision for the type of story he wants to tell but expresses it in new, experimental ways with each part. Just as Araki is testing the waters and finding what fits I find myself just touching the shoals with my toes so to speak. What I'm reading is good; it's unequivocally JoJo's, but I don't get totally immersed until I get a sense that Araki is more confident in expressing the material, which of course varies from part to part. Part 4 and Part 2 are the only parts that I picked up and marathoned immediately after starting. There's something I find appealing about the low-key villain and intimate setting compared to Stardust Crusader's globetrotting and shadowy mastermind. I don't remember if it as just the novelty of this type of setting in JoJo's, but it immediately resonated with me.

So, I'm curious. How did folks first respond to the start of Part 4? Did you have difficulties transitioning from glorious DIO? Also, how does Angelo feel as a villain?

Also, I wish Araki renamed Angelo's stand Aqualung.

I really love action stories where the stakes have never been lower, and Part 4 fits that bill perfectly. Part 4 was instantly my favorite when I read it, and only Part 7 even challenges that rank.

Angelo is pretty bland as a villain, but his stand is the perfect vehicle to show off Josuke's ingenuity and stand power. It's a power that might be awkward even for Jotaro with time stop to beat, since stands like Aqua Necklace or The Fool usually just fall apart harmlessly when attacked, which helps push Josuke as the new protagonist.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I somehow totally forgot Angelo just eats a dog's head.

I always found it odd how nonchalantly Josuke's mom reacted to having a hole punched through her as well. It's clear that his Stand is fast, keeping up with Star Platinum and all, but surely it isn't fast enough for her to just go about her business.

It's possible that Araki simply didn't think we needed another panel reflecting a character's confusion at what the gently caress happened to them, but maybe Josuke does this all the time. Like if his mom eats something that upsets her stomach, he just rips the food out and tosses it in the trash.

The idea is just she is healed quickly enough she's not entirely sure what happened beyond feeling weird for a second, since it all happened so fast, and just goes about her day. Crazy Diamond is just fast, that's all.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

tiistai posted:

There is a "complete" translation of part 5, but said translation is pretty bad and only gets worse. It's being retranslated, but the new translation is only 1/3 done. You won't miss anything REALLY significant, overall plot-wise, by skipping part 5.

That said, don't skip part 5.

No one should skip any JoJo, but I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving English Part 5 for last.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Naerasa posted:

My husband liked phantom blood and thought battle tendency was great but the monster of the week poo poo in stardust crusaders drove him up the wall. I'm probably going to tell him not to bother watching diamond is unbreakable with me if it comes out because he hates stands and, well, that's gonna be a problem.

Well he missed all the good stands and actually seeing what they can do, so yeah. Show him Death XIII and D'Arby the Gambler, those are two of the highlight fights that show more of what Stands can do.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Naerasa posted:

No he went right until the end. He agreed the second half was better but still deemed the whole thing 'bad anime, loving retarded'. Then again he said that about all of jojo but loved most of it, so it's tough to tell when his insults are actually being levied as legitimate criticism.

Sorry, I merged your and Yoshimitsu's post in my head. Does he like or dislike anime in general?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Xibanya posted:

I recently got in a disagreement with a friend on whether Sugita or Ishizuka was a better Joseph. After a circular discussion I pretended to agree so things wouldn't escalate, but in fact anyone who doesn't think Sugita was a better Joseph has terrible taste. :colbert:

Young Joseph and old Joseph are different enough that they are both the best at their role. But yeah, if I'm forced to pick just one, it's Sugita.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Naerasa posted:

He watches it but he much prefers stuff with strong continuity as opposed to episodic shows. Like right now we're watching Moribito and he seems pretty into it but I'm screaming in my head 'loving STAB SOMEBODY WITH YOUR SPEAR ALREADY'

By that logic, Naruto is better than Cowboy Bebop.

SC has one of the best sense of progression for what is a monster of the week style affair, since the Crusaders are constantly advancing to their goal. Sure there's an arbitrary number of fights and it can take as long as Araki wants, but the constant updates to the groups progress really ties the episodes nicely together into a larger narrative. Surprised he hates it as much as he does for ultimately something that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the show itself.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Xibanya posted:

:capitalism:

Jokes aside, I assume he's not actually destroying matter, violating the laws of physics. Maybe everything he cuts gets teleported into a nebula and over the course of a few million years is incorporated into a new star!

I like to think The Hand works by folding space, which just appears to be destructive, and each swipe creates a little pocket dimension. That's just personal headcanon, but it's the way his power makes the most sense in terms of actual physics I think.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Naerasa posted:

I like to think it just works.

This is probably the best policy when actually reading JoJo, but it's fun to try and figure out looking back on it. But yeah, even Hamon can mind control people and let you walk on spikes, so things have been just working for a long time.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baal posted:

Jotaro doesn't call them bitches, that was a liberty crunchyroll took with the dialogue they should not have taken. He speaks roughly to them, but it's obvious from how much he cares about his mother and Ann for the short time she was with them that he doesn't hate women or anything.

I believe Jotaro calls women "ama" frequently, which is a derogatory term for women. Bitch is an accurate translation.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 20, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baal posted:

It is, but it makes his character come off harsher towards his mother and other women than it should be. It's fine at the end of the day, because you still get the point of his character across, it just sort of feels like when Viz has translated it as a very harsh "Woman" it works fine, but the yes of a term as derogatory as that is him being an rear end in a top hat. Idk, it's not that big a deal, just something that I don't particularly care for.

That's fine, but you gotta acknowledge that your translation is the more liberal one. Don't pretend that Jotaro isn't calling women a word that literally is defined as "bitch" in Japanese/English dictionaries.

I don't know quite how bad "ama" is, so I can't say whether it's less bad than bitch, but it's certainly worse than woman, as there's not a context where it isn't rude.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baal posted:

It's not literally defined as "bitch", you goon. Japanese/English dictionaries take liberties with that poo poo too and are not the end all be all of how you learn a language, take it from someone who figured that out the hard way. Ama is a derogatory term for Women, but that does not inherently mean "bitch" especially when there are various words to do that with in the english language. It's of course the most obvious one, but context and character interpretation are what matters and that's how you suit things to an audience. You can just as easily make "woman" a bad word when said forcefully and condescendingly enough as bitch, it's not liberal and it's not inaccurate either.

Jesus. Taking a less literal translation you feel more closely matches tone and context is exactly what makes it a more liberal translation. Which is fine. All I'm saying is it's misleading to suggest a translation that is applying the dictionary definitions of words is "taking liberties".

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baal posted:

I apologize for jumping the gun then. I got annoyed mostly by the "don't pretend" poo poo because that is never not used in a way that isn't annoying.

That's fair, I was probably too confrontational in my tone. In my defense, I'm work posting.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Xibanya posted:

"We're enemies! I could still attack you!" Okuyasu says in a tilted panel with speed lines, like he's revving up a car's engine or something. The next panel is not only not tilted, it has straight vertical lines that reinforce how not-tilted it is. It basically throws a bucket of cold water on the momentum Okuyasu is trying to build with his threat. In other words, Josuke shut him down with just a look.

Okuyasu demands to know why Josuke healed him. "I won't leave you alone 'til you tell me! Tell me why you healed me! I refuse to tell you the powers of my brother's stand! And..." Okuyasu glances at Josuke's wounded left hand. "You wounded your hand trying to drag me out right? Why bother?" drat I LOVE this moment. It's a moment of raw emotional realness, I mean goddamn! And look at that little glance of contempt on Josuke. So many emotions, oh my goodnesssss!

This exchange is really when I first really clicked with Josuke, and I think when he rapidly started becoming my favorite JoJo. We've seen both the cleverness of Joseph and the brawling of Jotaro in him, but here we also see he shares Jonathan's sheer goodness. I love paladin-type heroes way more than grim Punisher types because being good is secretly super hardcore. Josuke is willing to risk his life, both rescuing Okuyasu, and healing him and letting him go, because he's just a good person deep down. And seeing such a noble and selfless act, Okuyasu is compelled to do good in turn; just like a certain R.E.O. Speedwagon did a hundred years ago. The gravity of this altruism, from both characters, is doubled by JoJo's trademark intensity and realistic style; the risk Josuke takes on and the change of heart Okuyasu feels are heavier and more poignant than they would be in a comic drawn and written in more broad strokes.

Man, Josuke, what a stand up guy.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

The movie was alright (never really read the comic), but it just sort of felt to me like No More Heroes without any of the bite.

They have a lot of aesthetic parallels and a similar structure, but the themes are pretty different, and although they're both deconstructionist, they're deconstructing different things to different extents. You're not wrong, but oversimplifying a good bit.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Using titles or relationships instead of names has always felt bizarrely out of place to me in English, with the exception of the military. Okuyasu shouting "Brother" is a mild example but you see it and hear it all the time in poor translations.

I think anime/manga has normalized it for me, but just in writing. Whenever I hear it in a dub, I still find it super awkward for the most part.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Xibanya posted:

Interesting; I didn't realize the word "heavy" was actually a direct translation (I had assumed the translators had used it colloquially in the sense of serious/depressing.) But given that "heavy" isn't meant literally here either, what is the word's colloquial usage in Japanese? If Josuke's not happy about living down the street from the guy who was previously attempting to kill him, how come in the next shot we see of Josuke and Okuyasu they're walking home from school together like it ain't no thang? Of course I didn't even realize the word "great" was actually from the original either.

Every instance of 'great' in Josuke's dialogue is the English word in the original. It's just one of Josuke's mannerisms, and functions like a catchphrase. As for 'heavy', this is just a guess, but Araki loves western movies, so maybe it's a Back to the Future nod?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Xibanya posted:

As amusing as that is, wouldn't a pompadour in Japan be more associated with a very early 80s look? He might have to get a bit more disco.

Pompadours have a strong connotation with motorcycle gangs in Japan, and hoodlums in general.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Holy poo poo, I just realized Josuke is Japanese Fonzie. He looks tough but has a heart of gold, has an anachronistic fashion, cares a lot about his hair, and can fix things by hitting them.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

These posts are great, and I'm really happy to see some attention thrown towards Phantom Blood. It gets overshadowed because it's not as fun as later parts, but the story is really tight and well-told, and each time I watch/read it I find more to appreciate.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This navy blue + purple shirt combo is the most common Jotaro, probably. I think this is the best colour scheme for Jotaro, I don't like the dull grey shirt the anime took but the black coat/pants don't bother me much.

And this Super Figure Action figure is labelled as Araki selected colours.

The boots are different colour to the first model but the rest is very similar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bizarre-Adventure-12-Kujo-Hirohiko-Specify/dp/B002S5RTJ

The purple Star Platinum is so much better than the emerald coloured one you see on occasion (like in ASB) though.

On the other hand, they DID use the navy + purple colors in the final color shift for the climax of the DIO fight, and I can't fault them for that. The moment I saw it, I marked out super hard.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

BaDandy posted:

:confused: I liked his character arc just fine and thought he was a fun twist on the audience stand in character. If you don't want to get into why because of spoilers that's totally fine, but you're like the first person I've met who isn't real big on Koichi.

I mean, I'll say Koichi is my least favorite main characters in DiU. I don't hate him, but I don't love him either. He does some cool stuff, but eeeh.

He's very good as an audience surrogate, but I tend to hate most of those, so my mild acceptance of him is maybe a compliment?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Didn't someone make a video version of this?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Robert Edward O. Speedwagon. He gave up at O.

I thought the O stood for Oscar, but I have no source, so it could be I just pulled that out of my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

alcharagia posted:

have i mentioned that i really like the new direction the show's soundtrack has gone in for battle tendency, because i do

It's by the same composer that did the Gurren Lagann soundtrack, so it's not surprising it's that good. But yeah, super loving good.

• Locked thread