Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Is Lightbinder the fastest route to Warlock? I want all the crows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I......I'm....starting to get a bit hyped :ohdear: :negative:

Curse you Drinkfist, CURSE YOU!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pierson posted:

Someone said this was like Vindictus/PSO; mission-based rather than a real MMO world and that interests me because well-crafted dungeons are one of my favourite parts of MMOs. Is it procedurally-generated like Warframe using tilesets, or is every mission 'hand-made' so to speak?

From what I can gather it's both, theres alot of solo/group dungeons but also some more open world shared areas you can fight with randoms?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
all 3 start classes start in the same area

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i wanna play kinetic since it looks p sweet

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Eonwe posted:

I wish I could play with you but the ocean will separate us noble Eonwe

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Eonwe posted:

you get to dunk people it looks pretty bullshit/wonderful for pvp

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stormgale posted:

Rip

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

if any EU goons are going to play on EU servers I can probably set something up

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fendahleen posted:

Please make it this. Just imagine the unsolicited responses you'll get.

Agreed. What is the point of a guild name if not to get as many spergy PMs as possible?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stormgale posted:

No, this just means you need to give up any semblance of life(MMOs heh) to play with us.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Harrow posted:

Is the Necromancer as fun and good as it looks? I've watched videos of most of the classes and that one definitely looks like the most fun caster. (Obviously it's not a starter class, but I'll probably beeline for it.)

The fact that dying is part of how you play the class is super fun.

The only major difference with necromancer over all the other ranged classes is that he has to stand still to shoot his basic attacks and he also has very little mobility.Its almost as if they want you to die :black101: I unlocked the class in CB4 and loving loved it. But its gimmick is unholy survivability. If you are looking for massive burst damage you are only gonna get that during scythe litch time.

https://na.portal.sf.my.com/calculator/avatarbuild#!?version=0.1&classId=57444381

Tell me if this link works. Keep in mind that Reaper Sweep and Volley of Darkness are two abilities you can only use while a litch. It doesn't look like they show the stance/forms tabs in this calculator. Also it looks like they are missing about four abilities.

Obscurity posted:

Wondering this too, but it seems obvious. I plan on starting Lightbinder, and then going Necromancer, Warlock, Alchemist in that order. Do I -have- to level Cryomancer?

gently caress NO. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PLAY A CRYOMANCER. Also I got wrecked by Reggin's Lightbinder when we were dueling. Too much cc on that class for a 1v1 man. The Nodes in the beginning of the cryomancer class atlas are cheap as hell and just give you some small stat increases. You can buy the nodes without playing as cryomancer. I suggest this is something you do after you have unlocked the global atlas node in the class you are playing. gently caress cryomancer.

Pierson posted:

Someone said this was like Vindictus/PSO; mission-based rather than a real MMO world and that interests me because well-crafted dungeons are one of my favourite parts of MMOs. Is it procedurally-generated like Warframe using tilesets, or is every mission 'hand-made' so to speak?

Every mission is fixed. The only randomization going on during the missions is the bonus objectives. Sometimes you get good ones and other times it wants you to get to 5% life to summon death and then kill him ... somehow ... at 5% life. Other times the bonus objectives are a real pain in the rear end where it tells you poo poo like "Don't Die" or "Don't take much damage" when you class literally is all about that poo poo.

Edit: That talent calculator is missing skills all over the place.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 6, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
all these suggestions are really like reading /r/aethist

you and your stinky rear end fedoras

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/aaaaaatheismmmmmmmmmm

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Is this skill pathing system better or worse than path of exile in terms of creative ability and annoying requirements?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

all these suggestions are really like reading /r/aethist

you and your stinky rear end fedoras

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Obscurity posted:

Is this skill pathing system better or worse than path of exile in terms of creative ability and annoying requirements?

It's not as crazy as PoE's (as in number of nodes) but you also don't have to worry about traps and respecs (everything is either a stat bump or some type of active ability).

Whether that's 'better' or not is up to you I guess.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

was there consensus on what starter provides the best beginning experience? is it just "not cryomancer" or what

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Lux Aeterna posted:

was there consensus on what starter provides the best beginning experience? is it just "not cryomancer" or what

Yes.

Eonwe posted:

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 6, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

WarLocke posted:

It's not as crazy as PoE's (as in number of nodes) but you also don't have to worry about traps and respecs (everything is either a stat bump or some type of active ability).

Whether that's 'better' or not is up to you I guess.

Path of Exile Wiki posted:

This is Path of Exile's passive skill tree. It is a vast web of 1325 skills that provide passive bonuses to your character. Each time you level up or complete certain quests, you can allocate a skill and explore deeper into the tree. All character classes share the same tree, but start at different locations that are aligned with their primary specialties. You're able to either focus on improving your core abilities or travel across the tree to allocate exotic skills that your class normally wouldn't have access to.

Nodes on Global Atlas: 2549

That is not counting the nodes within each classes class atlas.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

blueberrysmith posted:

Is Lightbinder the fastest route to Warlock? I want all the crows.

Right now all three basic classes will go the same distance to unlock any other class, because they start in the roughly the same spot with the same cost to get to wherever. It just depends on if your favorite color is blue red or green

I messed around with the monk and warlock in the trainer, which was an old build but still fairly accurate for the playstyle

Witchlock of War is all damage over times, debuffs, and aoe bird explosions based on said dots and debuffs. Good overall dps, pretty low burst dps. You also get a broomwand and can pretend to be harry potter.

Monk swaps modes between Earth, Wind, and Fire. Earth didn't do much in terms of damage but did knock stuff around. Wind had some pretty silly mobility and good single target damage. Fire was mostly poledancing and everything around you getting really hot, sweaty, and hurty.

Something else of note: You can wear whatever class/helmet combo you want and can unlock it from the start if you just run through that classes trainer. If you wanna be a kinetic wearing a zerker's gladiator outfit and a witchlock hat, no issue. Or just wear a viking helm and a bathing suit on everything like me.

lewtt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 6, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The class tree is pretty linear and boring but the actual atlas grid or whatever the gently caress its called is actually pretty wide open and neat

if you ever wanted to be a completely ineffective special snowflake then boy are you ever in for a treat

right stormgale

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Eonwe posted:

if you ever wanted to be a completely ineffective special snowflake then boy are you ever in for a treat

What is funny is that some people are going to put lots of points in nodes that are not very effective for their class but at least they will be more effective for a different class which they can always switch to without rerolling. Not that they are going to actually do that. I suppose the real question is whether or not this matters in PvE. Can you make an absolute poo poo build and still win with enough skill? I have not played the harder stuff yet to really know.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Eonwe posted:

right stormgale

I thought the op told me not to play cryomancer?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stormgale posted:

I thought the op told me not to play cryomancer?

oh, you

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

What is funny is that some people are going to put lots of points in nodes that are not very effective for their class but at least they will be more effective for a different class which they can always switch to without rerolling. Not that they are going to actually do that. I suppose the real question is whether or not this matters in PvE. Can you make an absolute poo poo build and still win with enough skill? I have not played the harder stuff yet to really know.

You really can't gently caress yourself on the Global atlas too bad with the way stats are handled. There is no magic/ranged damage stat or manapool stats.

Main Stats:
Might - Increases Base Damage
Stamina - Increases Health

Sub Stats:
Strength- Increases Max base damage
Valor- Increases bonus damage (Based on targets life %)
Luck- Increase Critical damage
Spirit- Increase Impulse Damage

The above stats are the ones you will mostly see on the Global Atlas. If you want the super specialized stats you go to your order and open up a chapel with that stat.
(ie if I am being a crit ninja I would have a buch of crit chance increase chapels open and if I was a tank I would open up a bunch of block/toughness chapels)

All the specialization comes from your order where all the generalizations come from your atlas. You really can't gently caress yourself given how evenly across paths the atlas distributes the stats so you can only screw yourself by opening up useless chapels and then waiting a few days for the item to repop to open a new chapel.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

How easy is it to rejig my order?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
It's really hard to gently caress up your build, because the three different sparks (that you earn separately) are for different sets of stats, all stats are more or less used for every class, and there is no penalty for learning the stat nodes along a different route. Your position in the ascension isn't absolute and you can learn any node that connects to any node you've already learned. The only thing you should sort-of avoid if you are exclusively PVEing is stamina for dps/support. Every other stat will be used for every class because they're all dps, and your stat progress will mostly be set by whatever spark you have excess of, unless you really don't care about unlocking classes.

Here's their chart:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
basically just advance along the grid, do a thing, and get the classes and skills you want is what im getting from all of that

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah it sounds pretty flexible. This is a very good thing.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Stormgale posted:

How easy is it to rejig my order?

You build a church in a zone (permanent stat buff), and then you build a chapel in the zone to provide the secondary stat buffs. The item to build a new chapel/church is a reward from a dungeon that you can get once every two days. Once you build two chapels I'm pretty certain you can swap between them whenever the gently caress you want. You just can't have more than one chapel active in a zone at a time.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Eonwe posted:

basically just advance along the grid, do a thing, and get the classes and skills you want is what im getting from all of that

and then you go back and unlock the rest of the skills/talents inside the class atlas if you want

In the bigger ascension atlas though, you don't really get skills, you just get stats and some passive abilities. After you unlock the class(es) you want, you'll probably spend the rest of your sparks traveling to the passive ability nodes. They range from "10% health shield for 3 seconds after dodging" to "summon 343 guilty spark sometimes". There are a lot of them.

Here is a video where a guy is really excited to explain absolutely nothing about the ascension atlas to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Mq2mvAyyM

lewtt fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 6, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

lewtt posted:

and then you go back and unlock the rest of the skills/talents inside the class atlas if you want

In the bigger ascension atlas though, you don't really get skills, you just get stats and some passive abilities. After you unlock the class(es) you want, you'll probably spend the rest of your sparks traveling to the passive ability nodes. They range from "10% health shield for 3 seconds after dodging" to "summon 343 guilty spark sometimes". There are a lot of them.

Here is a video where a guy is really excited to explain absolutely nothing about the ascension atlas to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Mq2mvAyyM

Sperg detected. You will be one of our 20 guild leaders I suspect.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'll probably play lightbinder again till I unlock witch since I had plenty of fun with it during the alphas/closed betas. Wish the attacks had a little bit more umph behind them but the impulse mechanics the class has flow really well and feel very dynamic. Setting up your gear and skills in a particular way made it so you shat impulse procs every second and boy are big numbers cool.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwCX7kUFr40

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Drinkfist posted:

Nodes on Global Atlas: 2549

That is not counting the nodes within each classes class atlas.

Path of Exile's tree is significantly more complex because areas of the tree are doing vastly different things.

I'm kind of scared going in to this because I don't know nearly enough about the later progression things. I didn't get to mess around with the chapel stuff at all in the beta.

I really want to just pull people around with chains on a slayer.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Bashez posted:

Path of Exile's tree is significantly more complex because areas of the tree are doing vastly different things.

I'm kind of scared going in to this because I don't know nearly enough about the later progression things. I didn't get to mess around with the chapel stuff at all in the beta.

I really want to just pull people around with chains on a slayer.

The only thing you need to know is that there are THREE faucets of progression. Atlas, Gear, and Order. If you loving cap out then it is not the goddam end of the game like the scumbags in the public threads are screaming about.

And yeah you are right about PoE's grid is more complex for what they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bashez posted:

My only worry is with the chapel/order stuff.

There's no way to paint yourself into a corner with gear or atlas stuff, hopefully changing around your order poo poo is easy so you can experiment with it too.

• Locked thread