Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Been kind of playing this on and off as a Paladin, my Prestige is up to around 5-6kish, I've beaten the first 2 5 mans with just random pubbies (wiped a few times but didn't seem that bad, the Metal Gear Solid through Plant Monsters thing was unexpected though), was wondering about when I should start joining the guild and such, although it sounds like the goon guild is pretty much full up at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

So I just got my first taste of Knight in a mission that had me play knight, and it was a lot of fun, just throwing birds and reflecting damage.

I think those quests that have you try out specific classes are kind of neat, although they taught me that I really don't like Monk. Gunner, Berserker, and Slayer all seemed decent(Berserker seemed insane damage wise but I heard they might get nerfed?), haven't gotten to try Archer or Alchemist yet. I got to try Necromancer as well but it was really weird, not sure what I think about them. Kinetic I get in those quests so often I feel like I've been playing it almost as much as my Paladin, that one is alright but not as fun as Slayer, Berserker, or Gunner in my opinion.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 5, 2015

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

My main problem with Cryomancer is how drat squishy it is, it feels like it's by far the quickest to die class.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Is it still accurate that the goon guild is full?

Also, I noticed that for some reason enemies just drop Sparks of Transformation now for me, I guess that's...useful?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Pesterchum posted:

Once you unlock all your talisman slots enemies start dropping sparks of transformation instead of the crystal things. Might be that?

Yeah, that must be it, I have all 4 of those unlocked now.

Edit: As for Prestige, I'm sitting at around 7,400 something I think? I just got access to the Veins area, so that's about where I'm at. I primarily play Paladin.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I feel like I've been having my dudes work on this Academy since I joined the guild, how long do these things usually take to build?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I wish I had money to donate but after hitting somewhere around 8k or 9k prestige I've been getting trophy bits and they've been clogging up my drat inventory like no ones business, forcing me to throw all my credits at unlocking inventory slots.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

It does ramp up a lot, but yeah at first it starts out really easy (to the point where solo missions marked impossible are actually pretty easy to do). Later on missions marked impossible are actually pretty drat tough, and actually honestly probably are some times impossible(yesterday I had a higher ranked version of the sea temple area marked impossible, and the 2nd boss for some reason was hitting me for like 10k through my shield with her auto attack, and i have like 25k health, no idea what i was even supposed to do about it).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Is promo archer just horrible? I'm at the final boss of Port Naori 3 skulls difficulty and with about 10k prestige I absolutely cannot beat the final boss , her ranged auto attack just kills me, and archer has no way to prevent taking auto attack damage or anything, so i just lose, I feel like I have to be missing something but I don't know what, none of my CC abilities really affect the bosses auto attacks or anything.

Edit: Eventually just had to give up, was absolutely no way to win the mission as far as I could tell. First time I've had that happen with a promo class, not sure what was going on.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 13, 2015

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Hamburger Test posted:

I don't think you should be looking at the stars/skulls but the expected difficulty (easy/normal/hard). If you just want the double sparks I don't think there's any reason to go above normal, archer burns through normal difficulty really fast, often I get about 60% of the time taken vs average.

It was Hard, I've never had a difficult time with Hard missions with Promo classes before. Also, most of the time my only two options are either Hard/Very Hard and then Very Easy, and Very Easy usually doesn't reward drops, so I don't like doing those (unless they've changed that?). I generally tend to choose the lowest difficulty that isn't "Very Easy", maybe I should stop doing that and even just choose Very Easy if this kind of thing comes up again?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Good Will Hrunting posted:

If Guild Chat isn't working by the time I get back from vacation, I need to buy a headset and play with you schmucks because I'm 5600 prestige and still haven't cleared MSM.

I've done the first few group missions just fine, they aren't really that bad, you will probably wipe a few times, but that is what it is.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Queues are so much longer as a DPS but sometimes I don't want to stress about tanking. :sigh:

Tanking in this game is hitting stuff just enough to make sure you have aggro and then running around in circles until the battle is over, it's pretty silly.

Also, this weekend I should actually try to run some dungeons with goons. I've finished the first two dungeons with pubbies well enough, but the harder ones don't seem doable with pick up groups nearly as easily.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Martout posted:

Pretty much, especially when tanking trash mobs. Daren facility bosses are chumps compared to the trash.

Daren Facility is actually one of the easy ones I've been able to do reliably. My first real roadblock was the one temple instance that has a boss that just summons all of the adds forever after it gets to about half dead, I've yet to see a group able to deal with it.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

The Dryads just kill you instantly unless you just basically run around the entire zone like a chicken with it's head cut off, because (as far as I know) they have two main attacks, one is a ranged attack that hits for a billion damage, another is this vine thing that kind of tracks you and basically instantly kills you if it ever hits you, and what you want to do is make sure that when the ranged attack hits you have shield/invuln up, and that you just never get hit by the vine tracking thing. They are honestly really annoying to tank because you just run around like an idiot, more so then normally even.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

There's a certain threshold when a mission stops giving rewards, but I don't know when that is since some "very easy" missions will give rewards and some won't. It says that the higher your prestige is the longer "very easy" missions will give rewards though.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I don't mind promo adventures and generally do them whenever I can because they give double rewards. I don't really understand how the catch up mechanic will work with them though, just give really really huge rewards that don't count towards the weekly cap if you haven't been playing since week 1 until you've gotten rewards from them that make up the difference?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I like this game but the grind is really obvious and very...THERE. It reminds me a lot of the Phantasy Star Online series, with combat more like Tera, and with a FFX style sphere grid replacing the levels/loot in Phantasy Star Online. Tera still has better combat but everything else but the combat in Tera was awful (I actually haven't played Tera since it raised the level cap, but I assume it's more of the same).

I would say the game is straight up better then Neverwinter though. Neverwinter had garbage dungeons and bosses(with the only mechanic for every boss but literally the last like 3 being just ADDS ALL OF THE ADDS), this game has bosses and dungeons with actual mechanics and stuff, which is nice, even if you end up doing the same ones over and over and over and over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

The problem is when the gameplay goes from grinding dungeons to grinding tree pulls ala 1990s style MMOs, that just killed the entire game. If they just kept increasing dungeon/raid difficulties forever (which would have even been less worse work, really) the game would have been much better.

• Locked thread