Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I got the pleb founders pack, but unless this game is utterly incredible I doubt I'll be fueling the war machine anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
In as Super Admin, though I see I was beat to the punch on that gag. :smith:

Also that teleport to get your daily reward thing doesn't work for me.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Doing the class trials sold me conceptually on Warlock, though I find the combat unresponsive enough that stance dancing between DoT and Nuke only worked 80% of the time. I don't think there's any ability queueing at all, which means if you start hitting keys too fast everything goes to hell.

I also loathe how Paladins will still try to do their combo moves even if you're out of mana, thus breaking the mana restore chain and doing piddly damage. That's straight up player-hostile interface design.

Otherwise this is basically Spacegod Neverwinter Online, except not hideously ugly and lacking the player forge (which had its moments). If you come expecting TERA you will be sorely disappointed. If you come expecting Warframe or PSO you might be pleasantly surprised.

So, yeah, it's Spacegod Neverwinter.

boho fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 10, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
How the gently caress do you turn off screen shake?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I have the requisite sperg points, please invite Super Admin.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Necromancer raw damage is pretty underwhelming. It beats playing dinky little Paladin all the way to Witch, but I'm still disappointed.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Don't get discouraged by early Cryo, every class is poo poo boring low DPS tutorial mode til 2-3k prestige. Going Paladin locks you into poo poo boring low DPS mode for the entire time you play the class. In exchange you get to be a tank, which means you'll get instant queues, but you should already get instant queues for everything but 5-man stuff.

And here's the fun part: see that difficulty rating? It's only accurate for 5-man stuff, and it only applies to your tank. Every fresh-faced 3k prestige piece of poo poo queues for "Impossible" MSM 2-star with the confidence that "Impossible" only means "remember to press buttons." 95% of those groups fail at the first gate pull because the Paladin dies the instant Skyforge Divine Shield goes down. In contrast, Mystery Pubbie Theater 3k will steamroll the place if you hand them a 4k prestige tank (surprise, MSM 2* appears as "Normal" difficulty to the tank then).

So you, being a responsible fedora-tipping m'lady 3k tank, queue up for MSM 1*, the "Normal" difficulty. And you have a 20 minute queue because the only people that queue for that are other desperate 3k tanks.

gently caress Paladin. If only the symbol wasn't so game-breakingly good.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Lawlicaust posted:

Higher prestige 3v3 PvP queues are popping pretty frequently tonight. There are some premades trying to farm the queues for the PvP bags so they can hold them for Wednesday.

What's the advantage in doing so?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
They said something about doing maintenance for performance -- well, it either didn't happen or did absolutely loving nothing. There are still 10-300 second delays on any interaction that isn't combat.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Seems like the bleed from the Bleed-on-Crit symbol procs with every critical tick of Plague (and maybe the pet too?), not just once. I think that's where his gonzo damage is coming from despite the mysteriously smaller numbers compared to the Zerk/Kinetic.

His talents are also strange to me considering it looks like a PvP build except he's missing the "Your enemies will take 21% more damage in PvP after using Throw Skull" and he's not using the Sacrifice-Pets-for-CC-Immunity which are both hallmark Necro PvP talents.

He's also missing the Rift of Horror "enemies take critical damage when affected by Rift of Horror" talent, which makes me continue to suspect that the talent just doesn't loving work.

boho fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 26, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

RottenK posted:

can you do a writeup for necros?

i don't have one but i play with a friend who does, would help him

SUMMARY
Most people will tell you Necros suck, and they're not necessarily wrong. Necro is billed as a DPS class, but it's much closer to a hybrid of tank, dps, and CC. Short of a 12-second period after landing an execute with the Funeral Lament talent, your damage is mediocre at best. Your CC is average but unpredictable and not group-friendly, unlike, say, Cryomancers. Your pets are just 10-second DOTs with a graphic and the chance to get killed by AOE.

Your sole strength is survivability, which is through the loving roof. Dying in solo instances is just not going to happen if you're in Hard or below content, awake, and have an IQ above room temperature. You can (slowly) carry 3-man instances at Hard or below. Unfortunately you can't carry group instances as the damage spikes are still too high.

If you come expecting a Necromancer like in EQ or a Warlock like in WoW, you will be sorely disappointed. Your DoTs and pets are both very short duration.

If you want Warlock/Witch and figure you'll stop and get Necro on the way -- don't. The symbol isn't worth it and the class is especially bad early on. Just tough it out and beeline to Witch/Warlock.

GEAR

Rings
-Strength/Luck, Crit/Accuracy.

Mainhand
-I have yet to see an amazing mod on a mainhand. Extra damage in Lichform is meh, but probably your best bet. Carrion does more damage is up in the air -- if it applies to Ghostly Carrion it's not bad, if it's the passive summons from Cursed Land, it sucks. Impulse Charge refreshes on execute is meh. Don't loving build around it.

Offhand
-Hellfire crit.

Amulets
-Plague and Skull Throw damage.

ABILITIES

Mouse

-Cursed Land (R): Drops a targeted AOE of purple hands from the underworld which are raising the roof. Stolen directly from Diablo 3's Witch Doctor, this area snares enemies that enter and constantly applies a 5-second debuff that turns them into Carrion when they die, which are lovely pets with braindead AI who last about 10-15 seconds. The snare is pretty strong though. Bosses can't be snared, of course.
-Hellfire (LR): One of the two Necro abilities that procs Impulse. Your burst damage that's also an AOE and leaves a weak DOT on the ground. Damage is frontloaded, so it's safe to spam.
-Plague (LLR): Your most damaging ability, especially with talents. It's a DOT with damage spread equally per tick, so it's a DPS loss to refresh until it's about to expire (unless you did an execute and procced Funeral Lament, in which case reapply to everything ASAP).
-Ritual Strike (LLL): poo poo, even with talent. Do not ever cast this. The other Impulse proccer.

Keyboard

-Wall of Souls/Wall of Pain (1): Shoots this wall in a cone in front of you. Both do 1.5x damage if they hit multiple targets. Low base damage. No cooldown beyond the slow animation.

Wall of Souls puts a 20-second debuff on everything making it do 28% less damage to you.

Wall of Pain has 1.5x the base damage of Souls. And that's all. It also applies some kind of debuff for 20 seconds, but there is no documentation as to what the gently caress that is.

Pain is the better choice for groups or players who know what they're doing and don't get hit. Souls is the better pick for a solo focus/learning. You will rarely use this.

-Skull Throw (2): Pretend to be Nick Cage in Ghost Rider and throw a green fire skull thing. Single target nuke, moderate damage. Eats 10% of your health, gives you 10 Lich juice points. 12s cooldown with a 20% chance to instantly cool down.

Your primary Lich juice builder. If it crits you may temporarily feel like a real DPS class.

-Lich (3): Manually toggles Lich form, assuming you don't have scary mask debuff (the internal Lich cooldown). 30s cooldown for this manual toggle.

You can also enter Lich form by dying. Lich form obeys the internal Lich cooldown, represented by a scary mask debuff. So you can die with manual mode on cooldown but no scary mask debuff and still go into Lich form just fine.

Lich lasts like 3-10 seconds depending on how much Lich juice (blue bar) you had when the transformation occurred. It changes your hotkeys into the following:

Lich Section posted:

Sickening Nightmare (LMB): A lovely stacking dot that leeches health. If you're using Reaper's Sweep as your RMB, only use this while closing distance/backing off. If you're using Volley of Darkness, use this a few times then cast Volley to get your burst heal.

Reaper's Sweep/Volley of Darkness (RMB): You have to pick one.

Reaper's Sweep gives you a PBAOE spammable slash that does good-for-a-Necromancer damage and heals you for a lot, especially if you hit multiple targets or kill things with it. It's total poo poo for PvP though, as people will just walk away from you.

Volley of Darkness gives you a nuke on a 2s cooldown that heals you in proportion to how many times you've cast Sickening Nightmare. 5 or 6 Nightmares is almost a full heal. It says it knocks targets back, but probably only weak ones/in PvP. This is your PvP pick, or you know you absolutely 100% have to be at range.

Wall of [whatever] (1). Same as out of Lich form. If for some reason you want to waste your Lich time casting this, it's available to you.

Ghostly Flow (R). Your ult. Same as out of Lich form. If for some reason you want to waste your Lich time casting this, it's available to you. This may make slightly more sense since you can get gear that increases damage in Lich form (though the damage isn't impressive) and Ghostly Flow reduces the internal Lich cooldown. I dunno.

-Shadow of the Past (4): Drop a statue on the ground that records your health at that very instant. Five seconds later, you teleport to that statue and are returned to whatever health was stored.

This is primarily used when you're alpha striking with a summon and Throw Skull, or when you know you're going to take a lot of damage.

If you die with this down, you still die. If the death would put you in Lich form, you enter Lich form, then teleport to the statue and are restored to the recorded health as normal. But now you've wasted a ton of Lich form time. So try not to die with this down. If the death would actually kill you, you die as normal, but your spirit/rez point teleports to the statue position in a kind of funny moment.

-Ghostly Allies (Z): aka Summon Stance. Pressing this invokes a stance that lasts for 10s which changes your hotbar. You can only use one of these abilities, then the buff expires. Every Summon costs 15% of your health and gives you 15 Lich juice. Ghostly Allies has a 40s cooldown.

Summon Section posted:

Ghostly Vipers (1): Summons three snakes which do lovely damage but taunt the enemy every hit. If the target is moving when they attack, they apply a poison (really that is only to provide a PVP use for this summon). Actually pretty useful in PVE.

Ghostly Mantidge (2): Summons one of those big mantis girls who casts a big AOE nuke then attacks from a distance. This is your AOE/ranged pet. More damage than Snakes, less than Ghostly Carrion. Probably your best choice for a PvP summon without talents.

Ghostly Carrion (3): Summons one of those berserk ratmen who, well, goes berserk and does his slashly hands thing. Lots of damage to one target. Easily kited away in PVP.

Cancel Stance (4): Cancels out of Summon Stance. Does not cost health, and does not invoke the 40s cooldown on Ghostly Allies.

-Possesion/Shield of the Banished (X) You must have live summons to use either of these.

Possesion makes all your summons do 66% more damage. Costs 7% health and makes 7 Lich juice. 40s cooldown, lasts the duration of the summons' lifespans. This is the PVE pick. Always cast it with your summon.

Shield of the Banished destroys all active summons and gives you a shield for 32% of your health. No cooldown or cost or Lich juice. This is PVP pick since it can be talented to make you immune to CC.

-Grave/Rift of Horror (C)

Grave shoots a missle that teleports everything near its impact point 20 yards away from you and does a small amount of damage. 6% Health, 6 Lich juice. 1m 20s cooldown. The PVP pick.

Rift of Horror rips open a fissure that causes any enemy near it to run in terror for 4 seconds and get a DoT that ticks every half a second for 15* seconds. The fissure lasts 8-10 seconds or so and can apply the fear multiple times (and maybe the DOT too, I never looked). 8% hp, 8 LJ. 1m cooldown. The only downside is that you must be in melee range to cast this, and despite its description, it requires a target. The PVE pick, but not necessarily bad in PVP either as it's a great way to peel melee characters off you and deny areas.

*With my stats right now, that would imply the DoT does 4.5x the damage of Grave. Unfortunately I think the DoT actually lasts 5 seconds, which brings it closer in line.

-Ghostly Flow (R): Your ult. Does lovely damage in a line, but gives you 11 LJ and reduces scary mask debuff (aka internal Lich cooldown) by 6 seconds for every enemy hit. 8m, 24s cooldown for some strange reason (maybe I have a node that reduced it, idk).

-Claws of Death (E): The name of your execute. Very flashy.
-Corpse Drop? (E): So if you kill something via Claws of Death or while it has Plague, you store its mangled corpse in the sky :black101: and can drop it on other enemies in an AOE explosion. Does mediocre damage, but can proc Impulse and there's a bugged talent that makes it gently caress poo poo up.

TALENTS

My opinion:

So Good They Can Fly
-Accelerated Decomposition: Gives Plague ramping execute damage. Before you have this, you loving suck. Sadly it's one of the last talents to come along, of course.
-Funeral Lament: Incredible, plus it's bugged to give 70% crit + 70% crit damage to the Corpse Drop thing too. NEVER NOT STEAL EXECUTES AS A NECROMANCER
-Ritual Fire: Hellfire does 130% more damage on its initial tick. This single-handedly gives you baseline burst.

Good
-Fast Recovery: Double health regen out of combat, and 25% traumatic (apparently AOE) resistance. Because ~lore~, Necromancers have poo poo health regen. This fixes that and then some, plus you get half of a tank's traumatic resistance.
-Beyond: 55% shorter cooldown on Shadow of the Past, plus you can manually cancel it. Greatly fleshes out SOTP's utility.
-Veil of Death: Stacking 33% damage immunity every time you use Reaper's Sweep. Lasts 2 seconds. You will be spamming Sweep, so this basically adds damage immunity to Lich if you use Sweep.
-Cyclone: Pulls enemies back onto Cursed Ground when they leave it. The pull has a cooldown. Gives you a highly controllable repositioning ability.

Situational
-Ancient Sorcery: In PvP, using Throw Skull causes the enemy to take 21% more damage for 5 seconds. Reads good, but 5 seconds is a very short time. Could still be very useful if Plague is already up and the target is low HP.
-Barrier: Shield of the Banished makes you immune to Snare, Root, Fear, and Stun. Required for PvP. Maybe there's a PvE fight that needs this, but I haven't seen it.
-Rigor: Your ult gets a 1-second stun and a 15-second snare. For PvP.
-Cemetery: Grave drags enemies to the nearest Cursed Land instead of 20m away. Also reduces Grave's cooldown by 40s, which is nice. This has some very interesting potential uses in PvP.
-Cursed Viper: Ghost Snakes' poison also snares by 70%, and if the enemy moves with the poison on, it does triple damage. If a snake is slain, it has a 75% chance to come back. Unfortunately the poison doesn't hit hard in the first place, but the snare is much needed in PVP. I'm testing this in PVE and it doesn't seem great, but I'm curious if it works with the Necro class symbol.
-Veil of Oblivion: Increases the range on both Walls and also cures all friendlies of one debuff (but only once every 10s). The very definition of situational.

Bad
-Vampirism: Steal 12% more HP in Lich form. As I understand this, it means you heal for 12% more, NOT do 12% more damage as well. You simply don't need this as Lich healing is %max health based, but I guess it might barely save your bacon if you fell into Lich form with very few Lich points.
-Hungry Skulls: Mediocre. Remember Volley of Darkness has a 2s cooldown and you need to build stacks of Sickening Nightmare to use it anyway. To get all three stacks of this would be a challenge.
-Ghostly Shroud: A PvP talent for Posession, but you should always be using SOTB in PvP.
-Blood Poisoning: Adds 15 seconds to Sickening Nightmare, but does not affect healing. Note it doesn't dilute healing -- the healing just ends after the first 10 seconds as normal. This is a raw damage increase, which is great, but it's on an ability you probably aren't using. Maybe if you have a slot and are in PVP?

Trap/Bugged/Utter poo poo
-Wall of Flames: The damage is sad, the dot barely lasts the duration of the animation, and you'll rarely cast Wall anyway. poo poo, avoid.
-Searing Pain: Ritual Strike does 1.5x damage. Unfortunately it's still poo poo. Trap, avoid.
-Torments of Hell: Sounds utterly loving incredible. Guaranteed crits on a foe for five seconds after they've been affected by Rift of Horror? Unfortunately, this is either badly translated or doesn't work, because I see no loving difference. Almost certainly doesn't work on bosses since the debuff seems tied to the FEAR, not the actual "I'm standing in Rift of Horror" debuff.

SYMBOLS

Paladin and bleed on crit and I don't loving know, ask the Russians.

boho fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 26, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I took a risk and went two nodes off the track of Witch to pick up the Bleed-on-Crit symbol -- and wow, it makes a huge difference to Necromancer DPS at least (at 10k prestige). I've got so many sources of outgoing damage, all with their own chances to crit, that the bleed DOT has a ~75% uptime with only 28% crit. At 10k prestige I've got 1000 Luck, so it's basically a free 333 DPS.

I imagine the symbol is great for everyone who's stacking Luck, but it's close to Necromancer and only 2 nodes off of the way to Witch, so it's especially accessible for those classes. Definitely worth grabbing if you're in the neighborhood.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Ok, what is the better class?

Alchemist, Witch, or Necromancer?

I just want to kill stuff with DOT or send minions to do the work for my lazy rear end.

Play Necro if you're lazy, the class's defining quality is its room for error.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Morglon posted:

For AoE murdering dudes you can't go wrong with Witch, Archer being a close second.

Yeah but Witch is even squishier than Cryo, and requires :effort: not to die all the loving time.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Unguided posted:

Witch is more about ending the DoT early to do massive damage.

Not really, no.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

goldjas posted:

My main problem with Cryomancer is how drat squishy it is, it feels like it's by far the quickest to die class.

Try Witch, it's like Cryo minus the survivability.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Kevlar Beard posted:

Any tips for a new Necromancer? What talents to go towards in the ascension atlas, what stats do I want?

I was looking at this: http://guidescroll.com/2015/07/skyforge-necromancer-guide/

I'm not sure how good that guide is, he advocates going for spirit/luck..

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729277&userid=180379#post448193612

Actually, Drinkfist, in one of the short moments of terrible sobriety after one of your AA meetings, could you just link that under Necromancers in the OP?

boho fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 9, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Drinkfist posted:

Wh? Eh?

done.

You do realize I am currently liquifying bosses and packs with Funeral Lament being triggered on the execution. Necros a loving insane Dips Brah.

Edit: also your link filters the target post by userid as well you selfish twat.

I don't know how these forums work. v:shobon:v

And yeah you do fuckoff damage with the bugged/undocumented Funeral Lament, but a.) you have to snipe executes from pubbies who are trying to snipe executes to refill their who gives a gently caress bar instead of letting you get them and allowing you to do world ending dps, b.) if you're fighting some monolithic thing that doesn't regularly summon adds your damage is stuck in first gear, and c.) I get the impression the corpse drop inheritance is gonna get nerfed or toned down.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of damage carrions do after the 11th though, considering they are apparently bugged to be doing literally none right now.

Don't get me wrong, NECROMANCER IS A VERY GOOD CLASS and might be the easiest of easymode for soloers (I haven't played zerker yet though). But short of Funeral Lament windows you can tell you're trading DPS for never dying.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Is there a guide that tells you the prestige you unlock Regions at? (I ask because I'm not sure I'll stick the game out for the long run but would like to see all the regions once at least)

The final region is currently the zone with the highest prestige requirement in the game,so I don't think this plan will work.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Unless they changed something in the past week, you still get rewards if you afk PvP. Just don't go afk for too long after the map ends or you fall into this trap where the reward screen vanishes and you can't leave the map, so you have to restart the client. :downs:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Morglon posted:

I completely disagree with you on the PvP for many of the reasons I bitched about earlier and two other things. If you don't show up as one of the I win classes you're hosed. Seriously, at times during a match a single Necromancer and later a single Paladin tied up half of my team for ungodly amounts of time which frankly shouldn't happen and pretty much explains my next point. You get gently caress all support playing the objective and once you pick up the flag you're not even allowed to fight back. If you get two people to work together on a team that team will win by a huge margin. It doesn't help that playing the objective gives you exactly no points for doing so unless you're the one actually turning in the flag which is hard to do with no support. I held the flag for a solid five minutes, they killed me and another guy turned it in leaving me with no kills for five minutes and no points for the turn in which fucks me over on rewards. PvP in this game is a joke and a travesty and I will argue against anybody who claims otherwise.

An objective based PvP mode where you're not rewarded for playing the objective, supporting the objective or your team and in fact get the best rewards for lurking on a cliff somewhere with a ranged class, sniping killing blows and being actively detrimental to your team has no place in a modern MMO, gently caress, it was unacceptable in 2004.

source your quotes

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Mastered Paladin and unlocked Berserker today. I guess the next class I'll go for is Archer since their symbol is nice and they seem not awful in PvP? Alternately I could start dumping insight into the God Form track, though I'm only at 17k right now.

Decisions decisions. I just wish sparks of evolution weren't such a grindy nightmare to farm up. Would it kill them to have 2x and 3x class spark missions?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Lawlicaust posted:

Corrected.

And the chat system has issues so mumble really is your best bet. Don't be some weirdo that is afraid to get a voice chat with Internet people because 1) Drinkfist sounds goofier than any of you Motherfuckers could hope to sound and 2) your imaginary girl friend already thinks you're a loser, mumble won't make it worse.

On the contrary, Mumble makes everything worse.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Until Russia figures out how to make guild chat work in the year 2015, you must select between two evils: pubbie groups or goon voice chat.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Autarkeia posted:

Somebody worked up a new proficiency spreadsheet for finding best places to get your gear based against prestige. Think I prefer this one to the previous shared doc

http://sf.karamfils.com/proficiency.html#?prestige=&proficiency=725-818

Was all of that really necessary just to say "Pick Impossible-rank missions?"

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I can see hitting the insight spark cap in five hours if you run only the disproportionately easy starter missions (like first two rows).

Class sparks you could do in a couple hours if you only did Port Naori first boss (about a minute and a half per run, including loading/interface time).

If you aren't min/max grinding and stop to 10v10 PvP or do some of the story or get your temple upgrades or hunt multipliers or do a dungeon or do a sidequest when you get bored, it'll take triple that time or longer to cap insight and you won't cap class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Yes, the completely obvious secret to fast capping is finding your personal build's sweet spot of time to run:sparks and hammering the hell out of those. My point is that the first couple rows of missions are filled with 10x bar bosses that nevertheless have half or less the HP of future 10x bar bosses. They also tend to have fewer goes immune/kills you in one shot if you don't hide/do X to make the boss vulnerable gimmicks that slow fights down.

This doesn't even get into which classes and builds can and can't finish missions in a third of the listed time, but that's also worth considering. The estimated time is pretty drat accurate if promo missions are any indication. Reliably hitting a third of the listed time is impressive, but it's also something only a minority of players can do right now.

• Locked thread