Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
A great jump scare happens in Absentia

When the pregnant wife is talking to her cop boyfriend (and it dawns on the viewer that he got her pregnant), when she says goodbye to him and closes the door her missing husband's ghost(?) is standing behind the door and says "I know what you did."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alhazred posted:

he gave the Warrens a soapbox in the form of the movie the Conjuring, but he's not a terrible director.

The movie was p good though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The movie was p good though.

if you ignore the message it is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JFK is a more damaging film than the Conjuring could ever hope to be and plenty of peeps in this subforum defended it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

JFK is a more damaging film than the Conjuring could ever hope to be and plenty of peeps in this subforum defended it.

So? It still doesn't make the message of the Conjuring any better.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

And what message is that?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
That jumpscares are good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

That jumpscares are good.

Ah, plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose, as the Greeks used to say.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Conjuring would be way less enjoyable if it wasn't as sweet as it was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The part that scared me the most in the Conjuring doesn't have the chord until after the thing actually happens.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Conjuring would be way less enjoyable if it wasn't as sweet as it was.

Again, a bizarre R rating for a movie as dangerously cheesy as Chester Cheetah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alhazred posted:

if you ignore the message it is.

That ghosts are spooky?

because they kinda are.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why JFK?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I rage quit horror after watching Japanese version of Dark Water. The movie builds up to the eventual confrontation and then the mother saves the wrong kid and there is this quick and only cut of the ghost's face . Scarred me.

I have been dragged a few times since, and the only other jumps are I remember since is in Sunshine. When they find and explore the first ship, cutting to an extreme close up of the crew's smiling faces when light hits the camera. That one really creeped me out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Because people like to stick it with the fact that it helped repopularize myths about the JFK assassination, despite the fact that it's a film about the mythologization of JFK's assassination, which had never really gone away to begin with.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yaws posted:

And what message is that?
The exoneration of a real life murderer, that you should baptize your kids and go to church, that the Warrens instead of being manipulative assholes who tried to make money of other people's tragedies was god fearing saints who risked their lives to help others.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Practically everything in it is wrong (except for JFK being assassinated) and it either reinforced or introduced to a new audience the myth that Oswald didn't act alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Because people like to stick it with the fact that it helped repopularize myths about the JFK assassination, despite the fact that it's a film about the mythologization of JFK's assassination, which had never really gone away to begin with.

Don't do this. Oliver Stone created the movie as a rebuttal to the Warren Report.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 19, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

Don't do this. Oliver Stone created the movie as a rebuttal to the Warren Report.

Vincent Bugliosi (Reclaiming History) and books like Case Closed fought the good fight. Seemingly every other book following the Warren Report, and we're talking immediately after down to the present day, from semi-sane stuff like Mortal Error to bugfuck nonsense like, I dunno, Killing Kennedy is some kind of weird rebuttal to the Warren Report. I can't stand 9/11 conspiracy theories and theorists but I think it is even arguable that Loose Change "repopularized" the 9/11 myths, because to do so would be shortchanging the whole cottage industry that has sprung up around perpetuating that particular conspiracy theory.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

The best crafted jump scare I've ever seen is in Audition.

That scene is amazing, and Audition is one of the best horror films I've ever seen. The tone shift in the film makes everything so much more unsettling when it arrives.

Though honestly I never need or want to see it again. Once was enough.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Artelier posted:

... I have been dragged a few times since, and the only other jumps are I remember since is in Sunshine. When they find and explore the first ship, cutting to an extreme close up of the crew's smiling faces when light hits the camera. That one really creeped me out.

Those are terrific, especially since the content isn't scary it's the context of it. No loud banging noises, either. Shame about the third act turning into a slasher flick.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Casimir Radon posted:

The Woman in Black from a few years ago relied pretty heavily on jumpscares. Of course this was pretty well mixed with a sense of dread that lingered throughout the whole film, and you're kept on edge most of the time because you're expecting the movie to jump you again any moment now.

What made The Woman In Black feel effective to me is how much time the character spent in the background. The jump scares stood out because the Woman In Black spends so much time just lurking within view of the audience (but not the protagonists) that when she does appear suddenly it's jarring.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Jump scares are blood.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Jump scares are blood.

Why do people say this, though?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What made The Woman In Black feel effective to me is how much time the character spent in the background. The jump scares stood out because the Woman In Black spends so much time just lurking within view of the audience (but not the protagonists) that when she does appear suddenly it's jarring.

The woman in black at the theatre (stage theatre, not movie) is the only time I've ever jumped at something on stage. Fantastic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The one jumpscare that got me every time was that moment in Child's Play where Andy's mom opens Chucky's battery compartment, and at the perfect moment he swivels his head 360 degrees with that creepy electronic doll voice. I hated that moment so much that I'd always skip it or mute it when I rewatched.

I rewatched it recently and actually sat through that part, and it's not as startling anymore but it's still pretty effective. The original Child's Play, for as dumb as the premise is, is actually a pretty good horror movie. It works because the focus isn't really on the killer doll, it's the fact that a deranged killer has infiltrated a family's home with the perfect disguise, and nobody believes in the threat until it's too late.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I rewatched it recently and actually sat through that part, and it's not as startling anymore but it's still pretty effective. The original Child's Play, for as dumb as the premise is, is actually a pretty good horror movie. It works because the focus isn't really on the killer doll, it's the fact that a deranged killer has infiltrated a family's home with the perfect disguise, and nobody believes in the threat until it's too late.

Much like many other horror movies, the numerous sequels kinda diluted the brilliance of the original in the eyes of the public. The first movie was pretty well received by critics at the time and is generally regarded as a classic now.

I hear Curse of Chucky, which went straight to video is surprisingly excellent though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

The best crafted jump scare I've ever seen is in Audition.

I think people don't understand what a jump scare is. Jump scares are almost always attacking the camera/the viewer for some reason and have the play this god awful loud sounds to show you it is scary. It is literally like the laugh track for scares.

Something moving in the screen is like a normal scare. Jump scares are jumping at you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

The one jumpscare that got me every time was that moment in Child's Play where Andy's mom opens Chucky's battery compartment, and at the perfect moment he swivels his head 360 degrees with that creepy electronic doll voice. I hated that moment so much that I'd always skip it or mute it when I rewatched.

Like Tenzarin touches on above, this isn't a jump scare.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You know what could work well in a slasher film. If you had a scene fairly early in the film where the main character is investigating something spooky and the eerie music starts and of course the audience expects it to be the typical fake jumpscare where it's just a cat or even the wacky friend or douchy boyfriend playing a trick. But it would actually be the killer and the main character would be killed unceremoniously like 15 minutes in.

Someone has probably already done this.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Like Tenzarin touches on above, this isn't a jump scare.

Except it is, we see the doll from the mom's POV and it's centered in the frame up-close. There is a very fast and sudden movement of the head while the doll's voice box screams at the mother (and by extension us in the audience). Chucky doesn't have to literally leap into frame for it to be a jump scare, it's a jump scare because it's a sudden movement and loud noise meant to startle the audience (or make them "jump").

Tenzarin's post was about a scene where something in the background of the frame moves, and not even that suddenly. Not the same thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FreudianSlippers posted:

You know what could work well in a slasher film. If you had a scene fairly early in the film where the main character is investigating something spooky and the eerie music starts and of course the audience expects it to be the typical fake jumpscare where it's just a cat or even the wacky friend or douchy boyfriend playing a trick. But it would actually be the killer and the main character would be killed unceremoniously like 15 minutes in.

Someone has probably already done this.

Psycho, sort of.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

King Vidiot posted:

Except it is, we see the doll from the mom's POV and it's centered in the frame up-close. There is a very fast and sudden movement of the head while the doll's voice box screams at the mother (and by extension us in the audience). Chucky doesn't have to literally leap into frame for it to be a jump scare, it's a jump scare because it's a sudden movement and loud noise meant to startle the audience (or make them "jump").

Tenzarin's post was about a scene where something in the background of the frame moves, and not even that suddenly. Not the same thing.

Highly doubt Chucky has a jump scare, its a technique that is kinda modern.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Highly doubt Chucky has a jump scare, its a technique that is kinda modern.

...what.

Jump scares have been around since forever, I can't pinpoint the exact horror movie or year but I'd say since at least the 1970's. And "jump scare" doesn't mean something literally jumps, it's just a phrase that means it makes the audience startled or jump in their seats. It's a sudden, unexpected event in a horror movie that's usually punctuated with a loud noise from something onscreen or else a soundtrack cue like a music sting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

King Vidiot posted:

...what.

Jump scares have been around since forever, I can't pinpoint the exact horror movie or year but I'd say since at least the 1970's. And "jump scare" doesn't mean something literally jumps, it's just a phrase that means it makes the audience startled or jump in their seats. It's a sudden, unexpected event in a horror movie that's usually punctuated with a loud noise from something onscreen or else a soundtrack cue like a music sting.

Psycho definitely had one with the private detective who got murdered on the staircase.

Oh and the whole mother reveal at the end too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure how accurate this is to say but I think most horror before Psycho had been heavily inspired by German Expressionism, and those films were more atmospheric than suspenseful.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

King Vidiot posted:

...what.

It is more of a trend of really lovely movies using to make them appear as a horror movie. IE Lady in Black, The Conjuring, The Oculus.

Its not called a jump scare because you jump. Jump is being used as a adjective, it is describing the scare, not the viewer.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 22, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

It is more of a trend of really lovely movies using to make them appear as a horror movie. IE Lady in Black, The Conjuring, The Oculus.

Its not called a jump scare because you jump. Jump is being used as a adjective, it is describing the scare, not the viewer.

Hmmm, people really do have different ideas about what jump scares are I guess. I always thought the "jump" in jump scare referred to the viewer physically jumping a little bit out of the seat.

Its like a spice, to be used with restraint. Used in the right way and in the correct doses a jumpscare can be worthwhile even in a quality horror film.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Hmmm, people really do have different ideas about what jump scares are I guess. I always thought the "jump" in jump scare referred to the viewer physically jumping a little bit out of the seat.

Its like a spice, to be used with restraint. Used in the right way and in the correct doses a jumpscare can be worthwhile even in a quality horror film.

When I go to comedies, I love that they make me Smile Laugh. So much better then regular laughs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tenzarin posted:

When I go to comedies, I love that they make me Smile Laugh. So much better then regular laughs.

Yes, that's a degree of laughter, much like being so scared you jump out of your seat is a degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

computer parts posted:

Yes, that's a degree of laughter, much like being so scared you jump out of your seat is a degree.

Jump scares arn't actually scary, they invoke a startle response. That's like being surprised during a reflex test.

• Locked thread