Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Muffinpox posted:

I should have known this was going to happen, every Honda with an ethrottle does this. You tip in the gas, the revs come up and stay, but the throttle position doesn't really get held. The revs fall off faster than the distance between me and the pointing man.

THIS. Holy Christ I thought I was going crazy. I've driven manuals my entire life but some moons ago I borrowed a buddy's Civic in the same vintage for a small road trip. I have never had a more difficult time driving a stick my entire life. Like, it seriously made me doubt buying anything but an automatic. Stalling, couldn't get a smooth gear change to save my life, jerky engine braking. The car was brand new and something told me that a brand new car couldn't be the problem and it was somehow me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

drgitlin posted:

What they're doing is overlapping the combustion and exhaust cycles slightly, so that some of the fuel gets burnt in the pipe on the way to the cat. It's a bit like a controlled misfire. Although the main reason is because there's something childlishly delightful about a car that goes BANG! every time you lift off at high revs or change gear, it also apparently helps emissions by burning off more nitrogen compounds in the exhaust.

There's a short piece about how (and why) Jaguar did it with the F-Type here: http://articles.sae.org/12441/

This. SRT has been doing it since the first SRT-4. They were so heavy handed with it that a lot of people that started doing custom fuel maps or things like Megasquirt in the early days of the SRT-4 they removed those little injector blips on decel. I couldn't ever do that though. Yes it's juvenile but it's just so unabashedly gear head.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Muffinpox posted:

Brunton Super Stalker pt2: Ohh, beautiful baby, I was very lonely till I met you on Sunday

HHHHHHNNNNNNGGGGGGG :fap:

• Locked thread