Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What area are you in? I might be able to provide or find a REAL M3 for you to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Boston, MA. Is it an E30 M3? Please say it's an E30 :swoon:

Of course E30, I'll get in touch with some of the guys up there and see if I can find one willing to let a stranger toss it around an autocross course.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sadi posted:

If you haven't yet you should try one of the 2015 mustangs. I can't believe how loving fast they are at autocross.
They seem to do pretty well on the track as well, I was impressed and surprised.

No luck on finding a E30 M3 for you to beat up yet, still waiting to hear back from a couple guys.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

:( I promise not to break it. Much.

I really want to drive an E30, one of the instructors I rode with when I first started had an S54 E30. It's been 3 or so years so I don't remember exactly what it was, but the E30 rear end felt a lot less surefooted than later 3 series, maybe that the geometry wasn't as linear in compression?

If you were more in the NY/CT area or TN it would be easier...

E30's and even more so the E21 like to rotate...a lot. IMO they respond best to trail braking to rotate on the way in then a bunch of gas to steer the car on the way out. The good news is once you trust the car to stick despite driving it like that they are amazingly fun to drive and can be pretty drat quick even stock. I'd think you'd be able to find a normal E30 to toss around without too much trouble.

Muffinpox posted:

I'll be watching you: 1959 Brunton Super Stalker pt 1

Hold on excuse me for a second

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOH MY GOD!

That sums up cars like that pretty well. Nothing will ever be the same after pushing one of those around a track, autocross course or back road. Very likely something Lotus 7 clone-ish will be my next vehicle.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 1, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Aero is what ruins everything for you. I rode in a 599XX and have not chased the dragon enough to replicate the experience of my brain struggling to comprehend that we weren't going into a wall at the end of a straight at 150mph even though it's like five feet away because the car can pull 2+g under braking.

I'm down in NY pretty frequently, I could attend a MetLife stadium event pretty easily. I would also definitely fly to TN for an E30 M3 and some grand olde oprey.

Aero is loving scary. I can either make this turn at under 100mph or over 130mph, between that I crash. Really fucks with your head but holy poo poo is it fun.

Sent you a PM about some lovely old BMW's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Locator posted:

So yea. I drove this a while back (it has more and better aero since this photo):

Unnnng.... un-tuck shirt to cover front of pants. It's really indescribable. I used to run a shifter kart, and this is kind of like that, but bigger, and even stickier through the corners because of the aero.

:perfect: I really need to get back in a aero car at some point. I drove a Exige with some aero (less than that car) and it just stuck to the track and would go anywhere you wanted it to go.

• Locked thread