Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm still having way too much fun in my BRZ after two years, am I doing this wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brigdh posted:

Kinda. What the gauge indicates, and what the ECU says, can be two different things. The ECU might send a signal to the gauge to display 4000, but the resolution at that particular point in the gauge sweep might be off, so the gauge displays 4125. If you hook up a scan tool to the ODB2 port and ask the ECU directly, it will report 4000.

Same thing with speedometers. You speedo may say you are doing 150 on that back stretch of the track, but GPS or a radar gun will put you at 130. The gauge is calibrated to be accurate at a particular range, and values outside of that range are not as accurate due to electronic or mechanical limitations of the system.

Also with scales and thermometers. I used to calibrate precision equipment, and you'll generally find that quantities within the "most used" area tend to be the most accurate, but once you get around the edges things can go wonky.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

drgitlin posted:

What they're doing is overlapping the combustion and exhaust cycles slightly, so that some of the fuel gets burnt in the pipe on the way to the cat. It's a bit like a controlled misfire. Although the main reason is because there's something childlishly delightful about a car that goes BANG! every time you lift off at high revs or change gear, it also apparently helps emissions by burning off more nitrogen compounds in the exhaust.

There's a short piece about how (and why) Jaguar did it with the F-Type here: http://articles.sae.org/12441/

Hey, isn't this what Red Bull Racing was doing a few years back to keep exhaust going through various areo bits while the driver was off-throttle in the corners?

• Locked thread