Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Phone posted:

The ND is probably going to dunk all over C Street. It might be faster than S2000s around an autocross course depending on the layout and how fast/open it is; however, an S2000 should be marginally quicker than an ND on track. It runs out of go around 100mph or so since it's all about the mid range power and torque.

Doesn't the 2nd gear on the ND top out at 52mph? A ND on an autocross course will be shifting between 2nd and 3rd constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Phone posted:

Road and Track has the fuel cut at 6900rpm in their notes: (link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a25857/testing-the-2016-mazda-miata-less-is-more-quantified/ )

So 6900rpm and 205/45R17 comes out to:
1st 34.2
2nd 58.1
3rd 85.4
4th 109.0
5th 135.1
6th 173.8

Hmm, I have doubts that the tach is accurate at the high end. I suspect 6900 indicated is really 6500-6600. I guess we'll see in the next few months how it really performs.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

ssjonizuka posted:

The ECU can know all it wants, but the dial on the gauge can potentially fall behind what is happening in the motor.

Kinda. What the gauge indicates, and what the ECU says, can be two different things. The ECU might send a signal to the gauge to display 4000, but the resolution at that particular point in the gauge sweep might be off, so the gauge displays 4125. If you hook up a scan tool to the ODB2 port and ask the ECU directly, it will report 4000.

Same thing with speedometers. You speedo may say you are doing 150 on that back stretch of the track, but GPS or a radar gun will put you at 130. The gauge is calibrated to be accurate at a particular range, and values outside of that range are not as accurate due to electronic or mechanical limitations of the system.

I know the RX-8 and NC miatas have this issue. For example, the fuel cut according to the tach on the RX-8 is at 9300 RPM, however its at 9000 according to the ECU.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

bolind posted:

Roadspeed is difficult due to the fact that the circumference of the tire can be different from expected (tire pressure, aftermarket wheels) but the tach not showing right is just pure laziness.

Its not lazyness. Pretty much any gauge or calibrated tool has a range its good for, and everything else. This tends to be why there are guidelines for torque wrenches and air pressure gauges that you should only use them if the value you are shooting for is within the middle of what the tool can provide, and if not, get a different tool with a range more suited to the usecase.

Oh hey, its not just my imagination:

Solkanar512 posted:

Also with scales and thermometers. I used to calibrate precision equipment, and you'll generally find that quantities within the "most used" area tend to be the most accurate, but once you get around the edges things can go wonky.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Muffinpox, do you have any SW20 MR2s (preferably ES) you can borrow and write about? I would like to see that post, and share it with the locals.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Looks like the trick is to not wear a seat-belt.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I'm aware of the rule and was mostly making a cheap shot since it seems everyone wants to know what is the trick behind alien driving, although I'm of the opinion that the rule should really be updated since its no longer the 70s and early 80s where lap belt only was standard on production vehicles. The rule should really require OEM equivalent or better.

I generally don't see the lap belt only technique, and we've got a shitton of national caliber guys locally so it kind of stood out to me. The downside is you end up bracing yourself against the steering wheel, which may not complement the driving style. Even with the side support of the race seat, you can see the driver bouncing around a bit.

Also based on how that Sparco is moving about, it either isn't mounted correctly (doubtful, those seats are pretty hard to gently caress up) or it relys on the shoulder harnesses to stay in place. One could probably argue that such a configuration is illegal, although based on how the protest committee was ruling on other things, they'd probably ok driving from the passenger seat.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I would consider it unusual, but not necessarily poor. Probably not something I'd recommend to everyone. I kinda had an "ah hah" moment this year when talking to Mannix, Wenzel, and Darden and I realized that different people have different styles (even in the same car) and so what works for one person, may or may not work for someone else. Trying to emulate someone who doesn't drive anything like you may not be the best thing....

I did make note that the ND wasn't a class killer in CS as apparently everyone was expecting.

Also it looks like your CP car is for sale. Would you like it back? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

It was listed in the classified section of the local club's forums, but there wasn't a price in the post who who knows how serious he is about actually selling it.

• Locked thread