Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ssjonizuka posted:

The ECU can know all it wants, but the dial on the gauge can potentially fall behind what is happening in the motor.

If Road and Track are figuring a car I'm pretty sure they'll use some kind of data acquisition system to pull the actual numbers from the CAN. A Traqmate or RaceCapture Pro isn't expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Raluek posted:

Isn't a backfire when you get flame out the intake? That doesn't sound like what you're describing. :shobon:

What they're doing is overlapping the combustion and exhaust cycles slightly, so that some of the fuel gets burnt in the pipe on the way to the cat. It's a bit like a controlled misfire. Although the main reason is because there's something childlishly delightful about a car that goes BANG! every time you lift off at high revs or change gear, it also apparently helps emissions by burning off more nitrogen compounds in the exhaust.

There's a short piece about how (and why) Jaguar did it with the F-Type here: http://articles.sae.org/12441/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey, isn't this what Red Bull Racing was doing a few years back to keep exhaust going through various areo bits while the driver was off-throttle in the corners?

If I'm reading this right, then yes: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/06/blown-diffusers-so-what-exactly-is-being-banned/

Muffinpox have you had a chance to try an R8 between the cones?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I guess I sort of asked for it to drive to Watkins Glen a few weeks ago but they said no because that would have been 1000 miles round-trip, but yes, it was a bit of a surprise.

Muffinpox - whereabouts are you based? Might be worth trying to see if something like that is possible.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

but the novelty of the intense shove has worn off. For those of you who haven't had this curse placed on them, it's normally the real world version of the world warping as Paul walker slams it into 8th in the first fast and furious.

It's really disconcerting when this happens. I wonder if it afflicts Tesla owners? Presumably.

This year probably won't work but if you can get in touch early next year once you know your autocross schedule I can see about coming along with something fast and shiny from a press fleet. Boston might be like DC in that it's just far enough away from NYC to be a bit of a pain in the arse to arrange interesting cars since lots of manufacturers keep their fleets in NYC and LA, but with enough notice I think we might make something work.

• Locked thread