Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for this thread, it's awesome!

Muffinpox posted:

I'll be watching you: 1959 Brunton Super Stalker pt 1

Hold on excuse me for a second

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOH MY GOD!

Muffinpox posted:

Aero is what ruins everything for you. I rode in a 599XX and have not chased the dragon enough to replicate the experience of my brain struggling to comprehend that we weren't going into a wall at the end of a straight at 150mph even though it's like five feet away because the car can pull 2+g under braking.

So yea. I drove this a while back (it has more and better aero since this photo):

Unnnng.... un-tuck shirt to cover front of pants. It's really indescribable. I used to run a shifter kart, and this is kind of like that, but bigger, and even stickier through the corners because of the aero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Is that Fred Zust's Lotus? I think he wins everything every year, that car is insane.

It is. He has won XP every year since 2008 except for 2012 (I think), where the car had some catastrophic mechanical failures at the Pro (which is only a couple days before Nats) and he still managed 2nd or 3rd that year (I'm too lazy to look it up). I don't remember what the failures were, but I remember thinking at the time that most people would have just put it back on the trailer and gone home.

And yea, the car is insane, and it just keeps getting faster with better aero, better suspension, and more power on a pretty regular cycle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are you ruined for actual cars now?

Speaking for myself obviously, and not the OP - When I sold my CP car* and switched to a street tired '95 M3, it wasn't so much 'less fun', as a different kind of fun. The XP car I pictured earlier, and the CP car were a kind of fun that, at least for a while, made it worth dealing with the hassle (and $$$$) of a truck & trailer to get them to events. Eventually though, I just didn't want to deal with it anymore, so I went to a 'street' car (it was still a dedicated autocross car, full suspension, race seats and no A/C).

Now that I'm down to a single car (Focus ST) it's even more of a casual thing for me. I drive to the events on whatever street tires I have on the car, go out, drive and have fun, and drive home. So did those other cars 'ruin' it for me? Not really, but they changed my perception about the level of dedication needed to be competitive in the sport, and at some point I just decided I didn't care enough about the trophies to spend that kind of time and money.

*CP car -

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The autocross thread is closed for archiving, so I figured I would post these here. If you prefer them to not be in your thread just let me know and I'll delete this.
-------------------

So, how does it look when an alien is driving a car in autocross? Pretty much like these videos, wherein Brian Peters, driving John Hogan's ESP Mustang, doesn't simply win ESP at Nationals, he *crushes* ESP at Nationals, winning the class by 2.655 seconds. That's probably equivalent to lapping the 2nd place car a couple times in a NASCAR race or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83kij1DZP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDUfqIJ0iuU

Oh yea, Fred Zust in his FrankenLotus won XP for the 7th time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Looks like the trick is to not wear a seat-belt.

Lots of guys just wear a lap-belt (all that's required by the rules) so they can twist around easier.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Does that help? It seems like it'd destroy your sensitivity to rotation and grip.

It is usually (in my experience) in cars with racing seats that hold you in nicely. You can see in the video that he's sitting in a race seat with good lateral support.

When I started running in CP, I wore a 4 point harness, but I quickly ditched the shoulder belts in favor of just the lap belt to keep my shoulders free to move. I kept that in the BMW when I moved to STU (also had race seats). In the Focus I just have the factory belts, so I wear it normally.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I completely missed the shot, sorry about that.

Brian is pretty small compared to John (the car owner), so he probably moves around a lot because the seat is large for him. I've had Sparco's, Corbeau's, and Kirkey's, and they all have a fair amount of flex in the back when they are unsupported. I fixed that with the Kirkey in my CP car by simply bolting the upper back directly to the cross-piece of the roll cage with a solid spacer.

On the other hand, it's pretty hard to argue that it's a poor driving habit/style when this is National Championship #6 for Brian, and he also got the Driver of Eminence award this year. Also, he's an alien. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Also it looks like your CP car is for sale. Would you like it back? :)

He's selling it again? Where did you see if for sale?

Also, no thanks, I'm done with the trailering thing for a while, maybe forever. For the moment I only do local events for fun, and only when the weather is nice and I'm in the mood. That sort of attitude towards the sport isn't the right one for having an expensive dedicated car for it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well gently caress. Now I want an old Ferrari.

Also, that suit is awesome.

Excellent post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well, the main Autocross thread is archived, so I'll just post this here, as it's not really worth a new thread, given how low traffic the other one was.

Sunday, the current 'Driver of Eminence' and multi time (six times in six classes) National Champion drove a borrowed C7 Z06 and a Z51 on the same course and provided his feedback on the two cars. Thought at least a few of you might find it interesting.

Brian Peters posted:

Z51 had performance alignment only with stock ride height, Z06 was stock down to tire pressures.

Chassis feels edgier than C5/C6, and a little more isolated as most newer performance cars are, but very capable.

MR shocks were pretty cool to play with. Z51 had first two runs in Sport mode and the transitional response definitely felt more in sync when we turned it up to Track. Car did everything really well, and was especially forgiving under braking. Felt like it could have used a slightly bigger front bar on this transition heavy course, didn't get to feel much steady state. Between front bar and then following rake adjustment, there was still more time in the setup. I don't see a Z51 hanging with a C5Z in sweepers though.

Z06 was very odd in the most extreme PTM setup. Traction control was working hard, then you could feel stability trying to yaw the car back straight. I'm curious to know if there's actually active steering going on too with the variable electronic rack, as things felt very non-linear (maybe Jason can offer insight). Corner exit was a lot of engine fluttering from traction control, then sudden snapping straight, typically not quite the direction you wanted to be going. Of course, I'm not used to running any car with traction control on, so I'm guessing this system is still as good as it gets to help HPDE National Champions to get home safely.

On the one run with everything off, car came alive at the limit and cooperated nicely. I would have liked one more run with the shocks in the less aggressive Sport mode as things felt slightly too stiff for autocross speeds and my likely too aggressive inputs. There were a couple of turns where it would skate just a little on braking or turn in, and hard pedal was an issue, especially over some slight bumps. I'm sure the system was tuned for road course speeds, and all things considered, the car was pretty amazing for being bone stock. Autocross usually ruins great cars.

Power was immense. I was shocked to see the reported throttle levels in the PDR video below, as it sure felt like I was negotiating <50% throttle most of the time. I can't imagine what one of these would be like on Hoosiers.

Auto trans was absolutely fine, though I didn't get to see how well it handled down shifts. The gearing advantage is significant over the 7spd, and there really weren't any downsides other than slightly lower-than-expected engine braking on throttle lift (likely a function of the torque converter). The 72-73 mph 2nd gear might require some shifting on faster courses, but again, big gearing advantage over the taller manual.

Most impressive aspect though was just how refined the Z06 is overall. It was an hour ride to the site and I would have been exceptionally comfortable riding shotgun cross-country. It feels like a luxury car, but brings rocket ship acceleration.

Might be time to start saving pennies.

Video in question (it's not unlisted or private, posted by the owner of both cars):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zULMkRAJMa4

• Locked thread