Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

computer parts posted:

The BNP polled similarly in 2010 UK.

Because a political party and a terrorist group are equivalent? I guess I'm #FeelingTheBern of your edgy posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sinestro posted:

Because a political party and a terrorist group are equivalent? I guess I'm #FeelingTheBern of your edgy posting.

They're literally the bad guys from V for Vendetta, so yes.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Sinestro posted:

I think his point was that nobody would seriously state that the BNP make up a significant portion of the British electorate, and that therefore making the very small portion of ISIS supporters out to be a significant portion of Muslims is equally ridiculous.

I hope this helps!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
A larger percentage of Americans oppose interracial marriage.

That's the same percentage of the popular vote that Ralph Nader won in 2000.

3% is completely unsurprising and I would have expected it to be slightly higher, even. If you think 3% is a big deal, 97% opposing ISIS is a much, much bigger deal. I'm pretty sure you could get 3% support for Hitler among Germans today. This is a completely insignificant number and not indicative of anything seriously interesting.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Oh Exclamation Marx, you are the Mod of my heart. :allears:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, be sure to NOT study ANY political, socio-economic or historical events and how international powers and the dictators they propped up turned the middle east into what it is today, also politics and history, Local factors and players, and colonialism and everything else that might explain factually how things became what it is today. Just throw that poo poo in the trash.

if facts and figures start climbing into your head, remember to chant this motto over and over:-

"Islam is bad.

Muslims are evil (ignore the ones who were calling for democracy western or russian allies helped crush their hopes for peaceful transistion).

I'm an idiot who doesn't read anything."

Good luck!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 5, 2015

Wez
Jul 8, 2006
not a stupid noob

Volkerball posted:

I've decided to make this thread so people can finally gently caress off get into this debate in a thread where it wouldn't be a derail for the first time ever. The topic is whether there is something fundamentally wrong with Islam that inherently creates terrorism. Today, that debate revolves around the lovely, regressive terrorist assholes we call ISIS, who are bringing about an unprecedented level of shittiness, regressiveness, and terroristness. As far as that goes, there are two articles I would consider must reads when it comes to understanding both sides of the debate.

The first, "What ISIS Really Wants," played a huge role in reigniting this debate, and was widely circulated. Its central thesis is that ISIS is a natural progression of Islam, as its creation is based around a group of zealots trying to follow a valid, perhaps the most valid, interpretation of Islamic Law. As such, we need to address the root of the problem, Islam, in some way, in order to truly deal with extremists like ISIS.

The follow up interview with Bernard Haykel, the expert cited in The Atlantic article.

What The Atlantic Left out About ISIS According To Their Own Expert

This follow up interview confirmed my initial suspicions that Wood had misrepresented Haykel. Personally what angered me about the original article was that someone in the mainstream media was finally examining ISIS/AQ has a Salafi Takfiri phenomena BUT was also attempting to position them as representative of normative Sunnism. Anyway the above interview also contains links to interviews and articles relevant to authoritativeness of Wood's original article.

While I'm here I'll leave links to interviews with a major Syrian Sunni alim, Shaykh Muhammad al-Yaqoubi regarding Syria, JaN, ISIS, sectarianism and what the Sunni response is and should be.

Sheikh Muhammad al-Yaqoubi Interviewed by Syria Comment

Sheikh Muhammas al-Yaqoubi Responds to al-Julani's al-Jazeera Interview

This last article by Mohammad Fadel assumes a particular level of knowledge but it's the most nuance piece for it's length that I've read. The cliff notes are that the historical institutional expressions of Sunni Islam have collapsed since the colonial period and haven't been replaced with anything meaningful, leaving a vacuum that extremists have flooded.

ISIS, Islamophobia and the End of Sunnism

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I am honestly wondering about something here. I can name only 3 countries where the muslims are the majority and in wich there are currently no big episodes of violence linked to religous extremists. Thats Oman, Malaysia and Brunei. I'm sure theres more?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, be sure to NOT study ANY political, socio-economic or historical events and how international powers and the dictators they propped up turned the middle east into what it is today, also politics and history, Local factors and players, and colonialism and everything else that might explain factually how things became what it is today. Just throw that poo poo in the trash.

if facts and figures start climbing into your head, remember to chant this motto over and over:-

"Islam is bad.

Muslims are evil (ignore the ones who were calling for democracy western or russian allies helped crush their hopes for peaceful transistion).

I'm an idiot who doesn't read anything."

Good luck!

Maybe all religions even Islam are evil.

Makes you think.

GyverMac posted:

I am honestly wondering about something here. I can name only 3 countries where the muslims are the majority and in wich there are currently no big episodes of violence linked to religous extremists. Thats Oman, Malaysia and Brunei. I'm sure theres more?

Yeah and murder rates skyrocket whenever ice cream sales go up. Must be some kind of connection there too.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GyverMac posted:

...Morocco, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Tadzikistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan...Albania, Bahrain, UAE, Burkina Faso, Comoros, Djibouti, Gambia, Guinea....Jordan, Kosovo, Maldives, Niger, Senegal, Turkey....I'm also sure there is more.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

...Morocco, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Tadzikistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan...Albania, Bahrain, UAE, Burkina Faso, Comoros, Djibouti, Gambia, Guinea....Jordan, Kosovo, Maldives, Niger, Senegal, Turkey....I'm also sure there is more.

Err more than half of the countries on your list have Muslim terrorists blowing up poo poo.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DarkCrawler posted:

Okay thanks.

shrike82 posted:

Err more than half of the countries on your list have Muslim terrorists blowing up poo poo.

And several of them are super oppressive dictatorial regimes.

EDIT:
Haha, what? Thats not what I meant you strawman using idiot. Oppressive regimes foster resent wich provides a breeding ground for extremism. Like, you know, whats currently making Syria into one of the worst hellholes in the world at the moment. Or the chinese communist regimes oppression of the Uighurs. It was meant as a possible explanation for religious extremism, not a "durr all muslims are bad" comment.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 5, 2015

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
You see, Islamic dictators are awful because Islam. Christian and Atheist dictators were just aberrations of society, not real representatives of the things they professed to believe.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

A larger percentage of Americans oppose interracial marriage.

computer parts posted:

The BNP polled similarly in 2010 UK.

It must be weird going through life with no sense of degree or scale

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

shrike82 posted:

Which ones?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GyverMac posted:

Correlation != causation. Is there a single Muslim-majority country with a government more than a hundred years old? Entire continents were ruined by Western imperialism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That animism sure makes Indians shoot an arrow at me, while I'm exterminating their game animals.

*pulls arrow from hat* What gives man? You need to quit loving around with such a violent religion.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
If 97% of muslims do not view ISIS positively, you would think there would at least be a decent amount headed to the middle east to fight against ISIS. The fact that this hasn't happened at all makes me question polls like these.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Fanatics always attract more fighters than moderates.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

L-Boned posted:

If 97% of muslims do not view ISIS positively, you would think there would at least be a decent amount headed to the middle east to fight against ISIS. The fact that this hasn't happened at all makes me question polls like these.

Do you view ISIS positively? Why are you not in the middle east fighting them?

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

L-Boned posted:

I'm sorry but this has to be a joke argument.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

It must be weird going through life with no sense of degree or scale

I could probably find greater numbers of people (both % and absolute) in the US who want to establish a Christian theocracy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

L-Boned posted:

Do you want to fight ISIS? I don't. Is it their job to fight them?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

L-Boned posted:

There's already tens of thousands in the Middle East who don't have a choice about fighting or dying. The reason there's not a "decent amount" (whatever that is) heading there from, say, Indonesia is that there's no cohesive anti-ISIS movement trying to recruit them. Stop being disingenuous.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Xandu posted:

There might be (probably not as much in English since most English analysis of Jihadi material is written by non-Muslims), but while this is interesting in some ways, I also think you have to take a step back and ask if it even matters. Religion evolves and changes and can't simply be defined by what's in a book, even though that's what most adherents will tell you. There's plenty of violent, awful stuff in the Qur'an, just as there is in other religious texts. More important is how it's interpreted, and most "manistream" Muslims will downplay the violence, etc because it's not important to their understanding of Islam.

I come from the standpoint that people are generally evil and don't really need a reason to kill, maim, torture, etc. Any unifying idea such as religion or some other ideology can always be twisted to support what a person really wants such as power, money, etc. So, I understand what you are saying.

I am not a scholar of comparative religion or sociology or anything and don't have to tools to really analyze things myself. I am mostly looking for a scholarly work which looks at the claims made by salafists or individuals and measures the degree of textual or historic support. I'm not looking to see whether modern Muslims would be considered "true Muslims" or whether they should believe a certain way based upon the texts. I don't have to draw any conclusions based on the analysis I am just interested.

I see that Islam is like other religions in that they have a great number of differences across regions, etc. and am fascinated by things such as the Zaidis, Ibadis, Sufis, etc. just as I am with the various Christian and Jewish groups that have sprung up over thousands of years. Many times I notice that groups try to go back to source texts and reinterpret them for a certain place/time and the results mostly depend on the people interpreting rather than the texts. I'd be interested to know how the modern salafists fit in with historical understandings of Islam. Are they a historic aberration and is their theology based on unique and spurious claims or is there something that they are referring which has historical precedence?

I appreciate some of the links so far and am reading my way through them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard their ideology is quite similar to the Kharijites, but I don't know how well that holds up beyond the belief that it's important to kill the poo poo out of kuffar. I do know ISIS apologists despise that comparison, and have written big long articles to try and disassociate themselves from the Kharijites.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

Do you view ISIS positively? Why are you not in the middle east fighting them?

I have once already. Also, I am not muslim.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just for reference for that study to be correct 3% of Muslims support Isis they would have to have interviewed 1,500,000 people for 99% accuracy with a margin of error or confidence interval of .1%. Even if you went with a 95% and a 5% margin of error you'd still have to interview like 30,000 people.

Basically that study is bullshit. To get accurate results for a population that size would require thousands of hours of interviews.

You may as well as asked " Does the Quran require you to pray?" and gotten the same amount.

Complete. Bullshit. Study.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 5, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

L-Boned posted:

I have once already. Also, I am not muslim.

The FSA doesn't pay quite as well, and they issue a ziploc bag for an LBE.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
So, basically the majority of countries would rather bomb Houthi rebels than deal with ISIS. I get the whole Shia vs. Sunni thing, but it is sad that Sunnis turn a blind eye to ISIS as long as it furthers their cause.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Main Paineframe posted:

Correlation != causation. Is there a single Muslim-majority country with a government more than a hundred years old? Entire continents were ruined by Western imperialism.

Morocco and Turkey. Brunei if you squint (the sultanate survived as a UK protectorate).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obliterati posted:

Morocco and Turkey. Brunei if you squint (the sultanate survived as a UK protectorate).

Turkey's not quite 100 years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

L-Boned posted:

So, basically the majority of countries would rather bomb Houthi rebels than deal with ISIS. I get the whole Shia vs. Sunni thing, but it is sad that Sunnis turn a blind eye to ISIS as long as it furthers their cause.

I'm pretty sure there's not one country in the Saudi coalition in Yemen that isn't also in the US coalition to bomb ISIS. And there's several more on top of that.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

computer parts posted:

Turkey's not quite 100 years.

Meh, close enough? But yes, you're right. Turkey formed in 1923, so is a little short of the target.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

L-Boned posted:

Like a dozen Sunni Grand Muftis have publicly condemned ISIS. Most of the Muslims being murdered by ISIS are Sunnis, and most of the Muslims fighting them are Sunnis.

But what actual Muslims say and do doesn't seem to matter unless you don't like it, so hey.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Like a dozen Sunni Grand Muftis have publicly condemned ISIS. Most of the Muslims being murdered by ISIS are Sunnis, and most of the Muslims fighting them are Sunnis.

But what actual Muslims say and do doesn't seem to matter unless you don't like it, so hey.

Actions speak louder than words. The governments can condemn them all they want, but while thousands of their citizens join ISIS and huge amounts of money go to fund ISIS, I can't take their stance seriously. The only countries in the region (or ethnic groups) actively fighting ISIS are Iran, Syria, Kurds, and, I guess, Iraq.

Edit: Honestly, and I can't really fault them, ISIS is a convenient meat grinder for them to get rid of this dissidents.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

L-Boned posted:

Actions speak louder than words. The governments can condemn them all they want, but while thousands of their citizens join ISIS and huge amounts of money go to fund ISIS, I can't take their stance seriously. The only countries in the region (or ethnic groups) actively fighting ISIS are Iran, Syria, Kurds, and, I guess, Iraq.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I think that'd have to require a number on how many SAA, Shia militiamen, Iraqi Army personnel, and iranian guards are fighting vs some FSA troops and Kurds.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
the entity known as ISIS is an instance of a contagious cultural psychosis.
We have seen this many times- Nazism, Stalinizm, Maoism, Juche ( North Korea) and Pol Pot's Cambodia (the model for Kim's Juche).

They are all the same category of entity.

It is a disease- an infection of malicious memes. How do you stop disease?

-Quarantine-
-Immunization-
-Sterilization.

Reference this paper- http://jom-emit.cfpm.org/1998/vol2/lynch_a.html It is quite technical but thorough.

"Thought contagion" is the operative term.

I once found a concise paper describing this phenomenon specifically using Nazism as an an example but I can no longer find it.

All diseases either kill the host or go into remission. I expect ISIS will suffer the former. Their creed is unable to allow the creation of a stable society.
They will presently implode, I 'spect.
They ain't got the brains to maintain infrastructure or keep the lights on, and-
Who will grow the food? Farmers don't like to work at gunpoint, as Mao found out.
The Thousand Year Reich endured for eleven years. I give these animals two more years at the outside.

It can be compared to an infestation of zombies.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

zimboe posted:

the entity known as ISIS is an instance of a contagious cultural psychosis.
We have seen this many times- Nazism, Stalinizm, Maoism, Juche ( North Korea) and Pol Pot's Cambodia (the model for Kim's Juche).

They are all the same category of entity.

It is a disease- an infection of malicious memes. How do you stop disease?

-Quarantine-
-Immunization-
-Sterilization.

Reference this paper- http://jom-emit.cfpm.org/1998/vol2/lynch_a.html It is quite technical but thorough.

"Thought contagion" is the operative term.

I once found a concise paper describing this phenomenon specifically using Nazism as an an example but I can no longer find it.

All diseases either kill the host or go into remission. I expect ISIS will suffer the former.

Their creed is unable to allow the creation of a stable society. they will presently implode, I 'spect.

They ain't got the brains to maintain infrastructure or keep the lights on, and-

Who will grow the food? Farmers don't like to work at gunpoint, as Mao found out.
The Thousand Year Reich endured for eleven years. I give these animals two more years at the outside.

It can be compared to an infestation of zombies.

Does ISIS have the oil revenue to make up for their shortfalls? I agree that they lack the expertise to govern their territories through anything other than brute force.

• Locked thread