Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Like a dozen Sunni Grand Muftis have publicly condemned ISIS. Most of the Muslims being murdered by ISIS are Sunnis, and most of the Muslims fighting them are Sunnis.

But what actual Muslims say and do doesn't seem to matter unless you don't like it, so hey.

I think that'd have to require a number on how many SAA, Shia militiamen, Iraqi Army personnel, and iranian guards are fighting vs some FSA troops and Kurds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Insect Court posted:

So do you believe that Muslim women in Muslim countries simply don't desire the same opportunities and rights afforded to women in western secular liberal democracies? That attempts at introducing, say, women's education, are perfidious acts of western imperialism, and that to be "authentic" Muslim women they must be consigned to a life of inferiority and servitude?

When Sisi represents secularism it's no wonder that it doesn't take hold all over the Middle East.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Schizotek posted:

So we should support the abolition of democratic policies, institute spectacularly violent secret police organizations, and sell the populace out as slave labor. And in return we get to force women to wear clothes we find more sexually appealing and murder them when they resist? Sounds like progess to me.

Truly, these great modernizers have broken the back of radical Islam.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ramsus posted:

Well I wouldn't go so far as to compare people that would like to ban gay marriage and abortion to places where they currently hack off limbs, murder homosexuals, and stone women to death for being raped.

I would. They're the enemy. ISIS is, too, of course, but one enemy is closer at hand.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Svartvit posted:

No, you do not undermine Islamism at all. You have, presumably, nothing to do with it. Do you think that the Tea Party movement reasonably can be undermined the Chinese middle class? There are a plethora of Russian intellectuals and fancy middle-class debaters who a little too frequently complain about US transgressions of international law and democratic standards in the Russian media. What a loving joke they are, just like we are when we obsess about today's Islamic culture and all its many flaws. This thread is mostly just a wallowing in stereotypifications and neat little academic roundabout formulations disconnected from reality. People talk about Islam and Muslims as if they just arrived from Mars with tentacles and in a pool of sludge, and if I didn't personally think that the Islamic religion is dumb crock I'd be pretty offended and even seriously worried by the words being used.

Yeah, that's my problem with it. Oh, hey, I have nothing really to do with Islamic religion at large so let me put in my two cents about it. It really doesn't matter what any of the forum posters here think, because we don't have any role in it either way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Narciss posted:

I'm sure your right in some cases, but it's hardly necessary to turn to the Hadiths to find quotes that would make your average liberal-minded person go "uhhhhh":

You can also trawl through both testaments to the bible to find some very "uhhh" quotes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Malaysia is a hosed up country.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Baloogan posted:

I've been saying this for months. D&D is more friendly to ISIS than the US.

Stormfront is that way, bruh.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Baloogan posted:

i don't have a hitler avatar how will i fit in

Just make a few posts, it'll be fine.

Saudi Arabia has consistently promoted fifth-column fascist movements inside other countries for a long time, and I would be okay with breaking up mosques as long as similar churches and synagogues were broken up, too. Many receive foreign money and promote radical right-wing ideology. All clergy are fascist agents because they promote the dictatorship of God over man.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Miltank posted:

:qq: My right to dehumanization! :qq:

Let me tell you about how I support a woman's freedom to choose her outfit by telling her you cannot wear these particular outfits.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Miltank posted:

More communication was a good thing and your logic is a stinky turd.

This is why the internet is the best thing ever and is a perfect place of social harmony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sinestro posted:

The persecution is not to punish the women, but to change the narrative from "As a liberal, westernized muslim woman, I refuse to wear this" to "I do not wear this because it is illegal." In a culture where the hardline elements, the ones who care the most about "modesty" kill and disfigure and rape women as punishment for violating their rules, can you not see why the latter is preferable and beneficial to the safety of those who would choose to not wear a niqab, not to mention those who only choose to due to their own internalized misogyny?

If someone is going to kill, disfigure, and/or rape someone to enforce the wearing of this, I do not think the fact that it is illegal to wear it in the first place is going to be of much protection.

All of the previous things are already illegal, very illegal.

And conservative and reactionary elements are a far greater threat to the majority of the population than anything else.

• Locked thread