Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

TheImmigrant posted:

Another thing I have to say is that Islam, as practiced today, motivates far more violence than any other religion, as practiced today.

Yes, because a small amount of Muslims constitutes that all Muslims are violent. :jerkbag:

gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Brannock posted:

How does what he said follow to what you're saying he said?

He said Islam is the most violent religion in the world right now, when only one region of the world is actively promoting religious violence.

His blanket statement is as worthless as saying that Christianity is the most pedophilic religion just because one group of priests molest their altar boys.

TheImmigrant posted:

It doesn't. S/he is another exotic-headgear fetishist with a creepily patronizing view of Muslims.

TheImmigrant posted:

You must be part of the Committee to Defend Islam Against Any Scrutiny.

The Muslims I know in the US are what I consider ordinary, moderate people. That doesn't change the point I made above, and reiterate here.

And I see you are nothing but an Islamophobe.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

TheImmigrant posted:

People like you have diluted that word to meaningless with frivolous usage. Once upon a time, it had a meaning narrower than "person who doesn't share my embarrassing and patronizing solicitude for Muslims." I've lived and worked in a Muslim-majority country, studied Arabic for several years, and read the Qur'an. I suspect you have maybe read some excerpts by Frantz Fanon, wear a Che t-shirt, and consider yourself a freedom fighter for your brave and valiant Internet Posting.

How close am I?

Completely loving off. Maybe if you stopped making poo poo assumptions people wouldn't call you out for being such a retard.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Nice use of a bigoted slur there, mate. Really helps your case.

You're welcome. :)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Grow up, dickhead.

Nice sexist statement you made there buddy. We're all proud of you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Smudgie Buggler posted:

edit: You understand "retard" is a pejorative that actually hurts people materially and psychologically, right?

Yes.

TheImmigrant posted:

It's very telling that you find sexism in such an innocuous statement by an Internet nemesis, yet fight tooth and nail to run interference for your fetish religion.

It's called a joke, but now I'm starting to feel sorry for calling you a retard because it seems like you might actually be retarded.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Fundamentalist Judaism is the most violent religion since it's based on the notion that Jews are born Jews and can't convert to become one and all non-Jews must be killed.

Look at what happened to the Canaanites.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

TheImmigrant posted:

Incorrect. You really are a lightweight, aren't you?

Judaism does not have the proselytizing imperative that Christianity and Islam both have. That imperative is a guaranteed recipe for violence and strife.

You're sorta right. Not all Jews want to kill non-believers but Israel does have a large sect of citizens who believe it is alright to kill non-believers because they "Pose a threat to Israel".

And let's not forget the fact that a large number of the Jewish population lives in separate communities from the rest of the population in a lot of countries. That has nothing to do with violence, but is more of a way to show how fundamentalism works. See the Bible Belt for a Christian comparison.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Except Judaism does allow for conversion. Even Orthodox Judaism. :psyduck:

Ultra-Orthodox (Fundamentalist) Judaism still follows the notion that if your mother isn't Jewish than you aren't. And if her mother wasn't Jewish than she isn't Jewish and so on and so on.

They aren't as big a problem like ISIS or the Westboro Baptist Church since they are a smaller and more tight-knit group but backwards beliefs exist in all religions.

TheImmigrant posted:

Then the motive for killing them is the threat they pose, and not the fact of their non-Jewishness.

The threat they pose is their non-Jewishness though. These people believe that Israel is a Jewish country and any non-Jew will taint the Jewish population, making them less Jewish. :tinfoil:

Of course this is a conversation more suited for the I/P thread.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Smudgie Buggler posted:

So you're saying the way to deal with it is through the most destructive war in human history.

Solid plan, duder.

They're the only plans that ever work. :shrug:

EDIT: For about 50 years at least. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Smoothrich posted:

Where were these so-called "moderate" Nazis?

Fleeing to places like Brazil and America after they got their poo poo kicked in by the Allies.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Sinestro posted:

People are disagreeing with me, gas it! :qq:

This is Debate and Discussion, not Circlejerk and Congratulate.

There's no debate when it comes to preaching genocide. :colbert:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Immortan posted:

Mexicans aren't bringing terrible ideas and theocracy with them.

I get it, it's alright to genocide those who we disagree with. :downsbravo:

Why don't you :fuckoff: back to Stormfront.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Sinestro posted:

Where the gently caress did the idea of genocide come from? I don't see Immortan or Sethex calling for the mass death of Muslims, or do you just find it more fun to attack what you "think" they really mean through your magic tumblr decoder goggles?

lol, like I read tumblr.

We got Immortan spewing poo poo out like Donald Trump does on a nightly basis (albeit on different ethnicites). Better me to curtail any suggestions of genocide before it happens.

And I love how when someone suggests not letting the leading country for funding fundamentalist Islam fund mosques in Europe they're shut down with "you're just a western totalitarianist" as a response.

This whole thread is full of retards.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Sethex posted:

Where did I call people here totalitarian? Because unless you can quote me I think you've only succeeded in demonstrating that you don't read good.

Honestly though take comfort in the fact that the only retort presented by the blind religious freedom crowd is intentionally misrepresenting opinions and bland scarecrows.

It wasn't you. :ssh:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Instead, explicitly in the case of Amara (Bellil belongs to the same organization, Ni Putes Ni Soumis), it seems to have unfortunate conspiratorial reasoning:

Just in case Patheos isn't a credible source, here's another confirmation that this is Amara's view:

Someone should tell this to American Muslims who are freely capable of wearing it and have not been undermining our democratic values; meantime, quite a few people in Western garb are, in fact, attacking democracy in the name of religion.

NPNS also seems to attack Muslim women who think differently, costing them positions and jobs:

I think that unfortunately, like Ayaan Hirsi Ali, these are women who have suffered greatly at the hands of some Muslim men, and have concluded that the culprit was Islam, conceived of as a vast, unitary conspiracy, and do not hesitate to hurt other women in the process. It is much like some Jews are so horrified at some Zionist crimes that they become antisemites, like Gilad Atzmon, for example.

I like how it's alright to oppress women in the name of democracy. :allears:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
"Woman should be banned from wearing any clothes as to not interfere with the male gaze."

-France

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Wait, sorry, what? That bolded thing isn't seriously real, is it? If it is, please forgive my ignorance of American invasiveness. That is astonishing and ludicrous beyond belief.

Yup, it's real. Thank 9/11 and the paranoid Bush administration for that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would just like to say, I would totally love to continue reading an Ask Me Why The Khan Translation Sucks / Let's Read The Koran whether it is in this thread or not.

I hope we didn't scare the gentleman off. :ohdear:

:agreed: I was really enjoying those posts.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Would you guys ban earrings because they mutilate your ear lobes? No? The shut the gently caress up about banning burqas and foot binding.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Sinestro posted:

However, enlightened people know that slippery slope arguments are fallacious.

Enlightenment was once used to justify genocide so good choice of words there. :allears:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Sinestro posted:

What the gently caress point is this even making?

You response was implying enlightened people are smarter and know better than an unenlightened person. I'm saying that an enlightened person is just as despicable as an unenlightened person.

Smart does not make you better.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cat Mattress posted:

The flavor of Islam propagated by jihadists is incompatible with the West since it is built as a rejection of all perceived Western values. It's not the case for all flavors of Islam, though.

This I can agree with.

But change can only truly happen from within. Forcing Western values on Islam as a whole from an outside source is going to have a negative effect regardless of how progressive it is. If Islam itself would be able to have some sort of Reformation like Christianity did during the Colonial era where more everyday practitioners (or at least more major figures in the religion) could ask "Why am I doing this?" and "Who is really benefiting from my faith?" maybe we'd see a more liberal Islam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Sinestro posted:

No, I was specifically commenting on the stupidity of SedanChair unironically endorsing someone's over the top exaggeration of his already dumb slippery slope argument.

My bad.

• Locked thread