Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

computer parts posted:

The BNP polled similarly in 2010 UK.

Because a political party and a terrorist group are equivalent? I guess I'm #FeelingTheBern of your edgy posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

and Christianity is a cynical religion created by the state bureaucracy of the Roman Empire to justify its continued existence, and has also been used to drive violent conquest since its creation

Hoooly poo poo, there's a slight difference that I think you're glossing over. The romans sure loved Jesus, it's not like they did anything that would show something other than full support for Christ and his followers at any point.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Empire

Yes, the Romans did love Jesus, if you think this is some sort of iceburn uhhhhhh

I was more just confused about the fact that you were just ignoring the centuries of persecution before Constantine found the lawd. Islam pretty much took hold immediately.

The brown area was all controlled by Muslims during Mohammad's lifetime. The Romans weren't Christian until three centuries after Christ's death.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

People are disagreeing with me, gas it! :qq:

This is Debate and Discussion, not Circlejerk and Congratulate.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Where the gently caress did the idea of genocide come from? I don't see Immortan or Sethex calling for the mass death of Muslims, or do you just find it more fun to attack what you "think" they really mean through your magic tumblr decoder goggles?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Let's see here:

-population bomb!!

Apparently the fact that populations are declining in Europe while there is large amounts of immigration and that those immigrant populations have higher birth rates than the native population is offensive wrongthink now?

SedanChair posted:

-poisonous ideologies (we all know Islam is the only source of these)

People in this thread sure love reading lots of extra stuff into posts, it's fun! I was unaware that talking about Islam in the thread "Islam, ISIS, and You: Where are all these so-called "moderate" Muslims?" meant that it was being implied that it was the only example of such a thing.

SedanChair posted:

-tumblr lol

There is a certain kind of deeply stupid pseudo-social justice that pours from that feculent sewer of a website that is at hand here, where the number of Oppression Points is more important than actual actions. I mean sure, they're radical misogynists and homophobes, but they're not white christians, so you can't attack them!

SedanChair posted:

Have I missed anything?

Actually making a point or adding anything to the discussion.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

TomViolence posted:

More that it's offensive and dog whistly to suggest or imply that these demographic changes signal an impending invasion and that the Superior Western Civilisation is under threat of being subsumed by the savage hordes blowing in from the east. That we're being outbred and it's either part of some masterplan by islamic fundamentalists to destroy us from within or a catastrophic breakdown of european society from which we'll never recover.

When it's a people that are largely homophobic, transphobic, misogynist and racist, then yes, the democratic instruments of Western Europe getting controlled by them is a disaster.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

TomViolence posted:

Sweeping generalisations ahoy! An entire people, a culture of bigots infiltrating us in a brown tide! I don't think you can write off a religion comprising roughly 2 billion people worldwide and paint them as walking in such homogenous ideological lockstep like this and really expect to get away with it.

Well, and this is a theme that shows up a lot in this thread, but it's a case where the ones who are willing to adapt to modern culture are the ones who don't actually follow all the tenets of their religion. And it's not every muslim in the world, but the ones who are coming to Europe aren't mostly the enlightened, modern, more progressive ones, they're mostly from the poorest and least developed parts of the poorest countries in the Islamic world.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Well, when you know who these people are, have determined their unique intractability among people to adopting the mores of their new home country, and thus proved racism true, we can reopen Bergen-Belsen.

No, because when you actually ask European muslims now, they are opposed to the values of secularism that are fundamental to European society.

I'll save you the time, and post what I "really" mean: SIEG HEIL DEATH TO THE MOSLEM HORDES, TURN MECCA TO GLASS AND PUT ALL OF THE BROWN FILTH TO DEATH

edit:

TomViolence posted:

Many of the ones who are coming to europe are fleeing sectarian conflicts and political violence instigated and fought by fundamentalist muslims in said underdeveloped countries. I hardly think they'd be enchanted with the malignant ideologies that drove them from their homes and killed their families in the first place. Generally if you're fleeing from war, famine, pestilence and death, you don't immediately set about reproducing the circumstances that created it before in your new, safe and relatively comfortable home.

This sounds good, but they're, for the most part, not fleeing extremist violence against liberal moderates, they're fleeing sectarian violence between extremist groups.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 13, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Effectronica posted:

It would be nice if you could post what parts of "secularism that are fundamental to European society" they oppose. Are they all theocratic woman-haters, in your mind, or is it uneasiness with laicite, or is this actually just bullshit being used to justify your fear of the Other?

I guess there's also the part where people assume that Europeans are really all left-wing to center, ignoring the right wing.

It's mostly the conception of the rule of law that's the issue. Salafi groups are incredibly widespread in the Sunni parts of the middle east, and support for Sharia law is present among French muslims.

edit:

icantfindaname posted:

it's cool how individuals under liberalism have rights regardless of whether they're homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic and/or racist. then again Europe has always had a shaky grip on liberal values, maybe it's time for thr US Army to come impose them again? we might have to throw some bits of eastern and central europe to the Russians again for their assistance, but oh well, that's realism for you

They have rights, they just don't have the right to put their homophobic, transphobic, misogynist, and/or racist views into practice. I'm Jewish, does that mean that it's okay if I join the army and follow Deuteronomy 20:16-18?

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 13, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I was talking more about refugees with that, thus the references to Iraq and Syria.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

It is indeed a problem if racists control the instruments of Western Europe. That's why we need to assume all the Arabs are backwards hicks.

That doesn't even make sense. I was posting in support of the idea of using the law to help stop the more dangerous schools of thought and backwards views from taking hold in the west and against the idea of warping anti-hate statutes to protect people who hate while being a minority themselves, not whatever grand massacre or deportation or glass dome that it seems is the assumed position for anyone who isn't blindly pro-not white person.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The fact that both you and SedanChair haven't been banned is just proof of how biased the moderation is. If I, or another of the right of center posters on here, wrote that kind of ad hom, violent trash that you wrote, we would have week long probations by now.

edit:Alhazredu Akbar!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

SedanChair posted:

As Islamophobes are so fond of saying, that's how it starts.

However, enlightened people know that slippery slope arguments are fallacious.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Enlightenment was once used to justify genocide so good choice of words there. :allears:

What the gently caress point is this even making?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You response was implying enlightened people are smarter and know better than an unenlightened person. I'm saying that an enlightened person is just as despicable as an unenlightened person.

Smart does not make you better.

No, I was specifically commenting on the stupidity of SedanChair unironically endorsing someone's over the top exaggeration of his already dumb slippery slope argument.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Forcing somebody to wear a specific garment is already illegal - just as forcing somebody to remove a garment is already illegal! The state is already on the side of women who are forced by violence or oppression to wear any garment against their consent, regardless of what culture that garment happens to be associated with.

Yes, why don't women in oppressive communities come forward about being forced to wear clothing under duress.

Also, why don't women come forward after being raped? I mean, rape is illegal!

There's more to consider than just what the law is, there are other factors in society that matter.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Enlightened people understand the difference between a slippery slope argument and a deliberately incrementalist set of policies designed to eradicate a culture.

Provide one shred of evidence that that is the position of anyone in this thread, based on a genuine reading of their posts.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

SedanChair posted:

It's all about never giving the evidence, isn't it? I mean if you gave evidence that you wanted to wipe out the Islamic faith, that would give the game away. The idea is to appear very Western, progressive and concerned with women's rights.

Are you trolling? There is no point to even engage with someone who argues based on what opinions their opponents are secretly hiding.

You secretly believe that any who is left-handed should be gunned down in the street. I mean, if you gave evidence of that, it would give the game away.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Effectronica posted:

If you really cared about women's rights, you wouldn't be focused on restricting them, or on persecuting the people you believe to be victims. Your words do not match your beliefs.

The persecution is not to punish the women, but to change the narrative from "As a liberal, westernized muslim woman, I refuse to wear this" to "I do not wear this because it is illegal." In a culture where the hardline elements, the ones who care the most about "modesty" kill and disfigure and rape women as punishment for violating their rules, can you not see why the latter is preferable and beneficial to the safety of those who would choose to not wear a niqab, not to mention those who only choose to due to their own internalized misogyny?

SedanChair posted:

Really? After all, most Republicans discussing immigration policy manage to cover themselves with at least a fig leaf of being concerned with something other than having too many nonwhites in America. Yet we all, not being deaf and blind, manage to understand their true intentions.

Leaving aside that I don't agree that anything but full amnesty and open immigration is about there being "too many non-whites in America", that is still not a useful thing to say if you're trying to debate with people who are conservative on immigration policy rather than score self-righteousness points.

Okay, even if they aren't putting it out in the clear, you should at least be able to point to something specific that you feel, with (explained) context, means that I want to wipe out the Islamic faith.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Hammurabi posted:

The thing is is that, if niqabs are banned, then the ones who are being forced to wear them under threat of mutilation or death by their misogynistic family/husband/community would just be forbidden from leaving their homes. Such a ban would not improve things for them. If anything, it would make their lives worse, and it would make it much, much, much less likely that they would ever be able to improve their lives and escape their family/husband/community since they would be isolated completely from the rest of society.

This is literally your argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

TEAYCHES posted:

didnt sedanchair pretend to be black or whatever lmao

Yep.

• Locked thread