Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

On the topic of completely divorcing religion from behaviors, there seems to be a trend for left-leaning people to do that and I don't get it. Right-wingers do a similar thing where they ignore economic effects on an individual or cultural group. Is it really that shocking that a religion whose holy text (handed down word-for-word by God, or so they say) endorses slavery, rape, and systematic murder of heathens result in it's believers performing those actions? Come on now.

This isn't a very strong thesis because this sort of behavior exists independent of any particular religion, even the supposedly "peaceful" ones (Hinduism, Buddhism, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

Hindus and Buddhists never overran a third of the known world in violent conquest after founding their religion.

And Muslims only did it once, nearly 1500 years ago.

Meanwhile, Christianity did it once (converting Rome to Christendom), then again (Justinian the Great), then again (The Age of Discovery), then again (The Scramble for Africa), and so forth.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 4, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liberal_L33t posted:

Considering it's the equivalent of Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army polling at 3% of support among the global christian population, it is quite impressive ISIS has managed to garner so much favorability despite being adherents of the Pol Pot school of human rights.

The BNP polled similarly in 2010 UK.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sinestro posted:

Because a political party and a terrorist group are equivalent? I guess I'm #FeelingTheBern of your edgy posting.

They're literally the bad guys from V for Vendetta, so yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

It must be weird going through life with no sense of degree or scale

I could probably find greater numbers of people (both % and absolute) in the US who want to establish a Christian theocracy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obliterati posted:

Morocco and Turkey. Brunei if you squint (the sultanate survived as a UK protectorate).

Turkey's not quite 100 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jarmak posted:

Fair enough, though it should be noted that even American Muslims are right there with the far evangelical right when it comes to supporting horrible regressive social policy. For example Islamic is the only religious affiliation besides Evangelical Christian to poll majority opposition to gay marriage rights.

This isn't true. American Muslims are about dead even which considering their immigration demographics is pretty good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jarmak posted:

Maybe they do math differently where you're from but 51>42 and 33% is only not the second highest strongly opposed on that list (behind evangelicals, like I said) because you found two new ultra-regressive groups that I hadn't seen polling on until this one, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.

Unless you're arguing that Muslims and Evangelicals aren't the only opposed, which I guess I stand corrected on but only because you found a more granular poll then I've seen before which breaks down by denomination and race.

Now it's strongly opposed specifically? Are you going to credit them for having a higher strongly supported demographic than Hindus and all non-white Protestants too?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jarmak posted:

No, its not, like seriously are you struggling with numbers over there? 51% total opposed is more then 42% total support, why is this hard?

I'm not talking about that part. I'm talking about

quote:

33% is only not the second highest strongly opposed on that list (behind evangelicals, like I said) because you found two new ultra-regressive groups that I hadn't seen polling on until this one, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.

What you fail to mention is that they also have a higher Strongly Support than Hindus and all non-white Protestants (and Hispanic Catholics too!).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jarmak posted:

I didn't "fail" to mention it, the fact they aren't literally piss last at strongly support isn't a very remarkable stat.

Actually it's very remarkable since they're better than every other non-white category.

This indicates a strong (perhaps generational) divide within the community. Which makes sense if the older folks weren't born in the country.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jarmak posted:

You mean better then the Hispanic and black population in the only two religions polled that are broken down by race? Because they're worse then non-hispanic catholic and every other religion other then Hindu (which both have massive "support" rather then "strongly support pluralities) that isn't broken down along racial lines.

Hmm, it's almost as though non-HIspanic catholics are overwhelmingly white.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liberal_L33t posted:

Indeed, pre-imperial-era middle eastern cultures were known for their fluid attitudes towards sexuality and their tolerance of homosexuality.

I mean if you include the Hellenistic stuff, sure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

Your argument could just as easily be twisted around to say "oh the crusades? That wasn't 'real' Christianity, that was a Roman invention. :smug:"

So just like everything else post 325.

Also the Romans definitely disapproved of the Fourth Crusade.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheImmigrant posted:

I'd rather be a Muslim in the US than a Muslim in Syria or Yemen or just about any Muslim-majority country. Muslims seem to do quite well in the US - not sure how much protection they need beyond that which we should extend to everyone. It seems like once they are free of the backwardness that comes with Islamic interference in governance, they enjoy better outcomes than the average schlub.

"American Muslims are Well-Educated

67% of American Muslims have a Bachelor's degree or higher
44% of Americans have a Bachelor’s degree or higher3
The Variance for Advanced Degrees is even greater.
One in ten American Muslim HH has a physician / medical doctor

[ ... ]

American Muslims are Affluent

U.S. Average income is $42,158 per year (U.S. Census 2000)
66% of American Muslim HH's earn over $50,000 / year
26% of American Muslim HH's earn over $100,000 / year"

http://www.allied-media.com/AM/

I would rather be black in the US compared with black majority countries but that doesn't mean African Americans have nothing to complain about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sethex posted:

I'm also not sure this forum is a place where strong Christian militarism takes place, thus far I haven't seen much of a: 'my totalitarian religion is better than yours' bit in this discussion, so I don't see much of a point in reacting as though Christian fundies are using this thread to bash islam.

This is true, the issue on these forums specifically is with atheists that internalize Western (read: Christian) dogma about Muslims.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

V. Illych L. posted:

if we're talking just islam vs christianity in general it's germane imo, you don't have many IS types running around threatening to murder people in america

Unless it's about Confederate flags anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheImmigrant posted:

Imagine it's a confrontation about a parking space, and the victims are Muslims. It's much easier to construct motives in that case.

Oh no, those allegations got dismissed because his wife said he was a cool dude.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

This is hardly accurate. Just google "Quran quotes slavery/war/apostasy" and you'll find plenty of repulsive material condoning the raping of women captured in battle, the sanctity of war waged by believers on non-believers, and the lawfulness of executing those who renounce Islam.

The Hadiths are usually lumped under the "Quran" designation in Western society.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

When we're comparing millenia-old desert religions and the degree to which they are anathema to modern liberal sensibilities, it's always going to be a matter of degree. I would contend that no religion is as blatantly incompatible with liberal society as Islam, and I think many people in this thread would agree. I did some quick googling for "worst New Testament verses" and the stuff I've found is pretty milquetoast when compared to the Quran. Most of the 'violence' is saying how bad things will happen to bad people in the afterlife (as opposed to Islam, which mandates bad things happening to not-bad people in this life), or very clearly symbolic sayings like "if your right eye offends thee, pluck it out".

There are multiple passages in the New Testament about how women should be subservient and even petty stuff like banning them from showing their hair during church service.

You can argue that that's not in the Gospels but I have yet to meet a single Christian who only uses the 4 Gospels as a bible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hypnorotic posted:

The West should provide citizenship to any minorities in the Middle East (Christians, Druze, Zoroastrians, Alawites) then work on cleaning up the borders so as to create ethnically homogeneous nation states.

Kinda hypocritical for the US especially to advocate ethnically homogenous states.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sethex posted:

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

Honestly I didn't scrutinize this or anything but maybe this belongs here.

It's kinda hard to see where those numbers are coming from but it's important to note that the survey excluded India, most of the Arabian Peninsula, and a lot of North Africa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Saying, "I believe X, Y, and Z, but I don't need to be part of an organized religion to do it?"

Yes, technically someone can believe in the Resurrection without calling themselves a Christian but it's kind of pointless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrNemo posted:

I think for many it comes down to the idea that God isn't necessarily giving universally truer guidance but that God is clarifying his intended message in a format more suitable for the new context that Muslims found themselves in. I'm not sure it's entirely clear that abrogation functions as a simple, 'oops that last one was wrong, here's the new directive' rather it's God explaining how to live according to his wishes in a way people will better be able to understand. I mean that way of thinking about it becomes awkward once you start thinking about Mohammed as the final prophet and all the differences of context that have occurred since then but if you're taking the Truth of the Quran as a given starting point then it's not an incomprehensible way of understanding it.

It kinda follows from precedent too since they held all of the previous prophets (Moses, Jesus, etc) had the exact same message as before but people just didn't understand.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tsa posted:

Yet for some reason people go all :derp: when you criticize Islam in the same way Christianity and Judaism has been criticized in countless threads.

"I'm just criticizing black people the same way I criticize Italians and Anglos!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

You cannot change how your race is perceived by other people, even if it's entirely a social construct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(sociology)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

Unsurprisingly, when an ideology that says "we will accept you and your beliefs no matter how alien" meets with one that says "ours is the one true way and we will push & push until you accept that", the latter tends to supplant the former.

Which is why we still have prayer in schools.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sethex posted:

If attacks persist too they will energize an fuel recruitment of anti islamic hate groups. Why would simply restricting saudi influence be bad for the Muslim community?

What exactly do you plan to do to restrict Saudi influence?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sethex posted:

Germany already discriminates against scientology, I don't imagine it would be too controversial to suspend religion status if it advocates violence against apostates or homosexuals or anyone for that matter.

If it's disproportionately applied to Muslims, it would be.

(Spoiler: it probably would, and not because "Muslims just do it more")

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sethex posted:

Are you speculating that the govt would put in a bunch of Arabic fluent agents to simply sting these religious groups?

An if so is the penalty of making religions that preach anti social values pay taxes really severe or undesirable?

I'm speculating that Muslims will be targeted disproportionately, regardless of the actual rates. This means that Christians and other groups will be ignored, not some bullshit false flag operations.

Sethex posted:

Alright tumblrina I think we've found your ruling ideology an it involves a reductionist oversimplification that revolves around race issues.

The Boston bombers not really fitting the racial prerequisites or the thousands of whites looking to join a global struggle in Syria, I think the fact that you are incapable to see the multiracial dimension of Islamic terrorism has more to do with you than reality has presented.

I would say the process of profiling is something not really altered by the Patriot act or prism or any of the new forms of an all seeing government. Collecting all data from everyone an making it indexable by a search engine is the structure, not some simplified race issue.

Sounds like you crave a racial interpretation so you can feel like a justice warrior.

tl;dr - "Islam isn't a Race, so I can't be racist :qq: ".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I wonder how much of that post was said by Donald Trump about Hispanics in the last few weeks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Immortan posted:

Mexicans aren't bringing terrible ideas and theocracy with them.

Hmm, I think Trump would disagree, those filthy papists.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sinestro posted:

When it's a people that are largely homophobic, transphobic, misogynist and racist, then yes, the democratic instruments of Western Europe getting controlled by them is a disaster.

It is indeed a problem if racists control the instruments of Western Europe. That's why we need to assume all the Arabs are backwards hicks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sinestro posted:

That doesn't even make sense. I was posting in support of the idea of using the law to help stop the more dangerous schools of thought and backwards views from taking hold in the west and against the idea of warping anti-hate statutes to protect people who hate while being a minority themselves, not whatever grand massacre or deportation or glass dome that it seems is the assumed position for anyone who isn't blindly pro-not white person.

I'm sure "Warping anti-hate statutes" is a pressing issue in Europe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

Inshallah our infiltration of France may reach 10 percent :jihad:

Foolish, infertile Euros! If only they knew what was in store once we hit the magic number...

If they hit 20% they're officially a fifth column.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think White American voters are that big of a threat to secularism and freedom in Europe.

This is correct. So is his statement.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

I, personally, think that Muslims should be allowed to get married in the fashion that they choose, and allowed to produce halal food and eat it, disburse their inheritance as they please, etc.

Nah, if you oppose fractional reserve banking you oppose Western values.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hammurabi posted:

Really, that generally seems to be the case. When you hear about terrible things happening, it seems to not really be because of the religion, as much as just some cultures being lovely, and some of those lovely cultures practicing the religion. When you get down to it, all three Abrahamic religions preach practically the same poo poo, and you drat sure never hear about Albanians or Lebanese or Emiratis stoning or raping anyone. At least I haven't.

Strange how opponents focus on Islam in particular then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sethex posted:

Here is the thing, religious ethics are dumb, reason being is they typically rely on God demands X, where as secular ethics are based on modern norms/values, utility, and intellectual exploration among other complex grownup things.

Secular ethics are commonly based in Natural Law which is about as arbitrary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sinestro posted:

The fact that both you and SedanChair haven't been banned is just proof of how biased the moderation is. If I, or another of the right of center posters on here, wrote that kind of ad hom, violent trash that you wrote, we would have week long probations by now.

I guess someone wants the cultural relativist thought police now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miltank posted:

High heels have more in common with neckties than burkas.

In that both are comfortable to Western society, yes.

• Locked thread