Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions!
But for reals Islamist terrorism and the Salafist rise is a product of geopolitics and proxy warfare rather than an the result of an equivalent of Martin Luther nailing his theses to the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well that falls under another neat piece of poo poo about religions. If a muslim X does not own slaves, rape and conquer do unthinkable acts in today Y and Z are they a true muslim X?

[E]Oh and youd be a fool to even suggest that the indian subcontinent and east Asia werent mired in the same kinds and amount of warfare as everwhere west of it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 5, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I dont think any metric is satisfactory when playing the historical equivalency game.
Its a dead end.

^
Well arguably the most deleterious act western powers may have done to the middle east is not the support of Israel or a lust for oil, but the scramble to gain allies to proxy harder against Communist Russia/foe du jour, who cares who gets the support as long as they do what we say.

Think Pinochet but in multiple countries and managing to stick around for longer due to not going super kill squad. (Not to say no mass killings happened)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 5, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Liberal_L33t posted:

If this was the 1940s or the immediate aftermath of WWII, I'd probably be pretty breezy about leveling harsh accusations at the western intellectual tradition as a whole, and shaming would-be defenders of western civilization by association with the Nazis. I think a lot of good came for Europe as a result of having the historical example of the Nazis around to discourage people from flirting with the ideas of the extreme right.

Nah you'd probably be tilting at the Ottomans.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hah wow yeah you sure showed those muslims how backwards they are. Whew.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xandu posted:

Ignore the 3%, it's not really based on anything accurate, but I'd be surprised if it were that much higher.

Iran, Saudi, Afghanistan (not legally anymore, but basically).

Also some Arabic countries like Qatar and the UAE do enforce a sorta 'modesty' approach to clothing restriction.
Personally I haven't seen it happen but there are signs outside of malls and such saying you might/will be denied entry if your clothes are too revealing: Think along the line of low-cut croptops and mini skirts/short shorts.
It's also currently Ramadan so the whole modesty thing is a bit more in the public eye.

Nothing that could land you in jail or get charged with though.

Azran posted:

1) Can you point me to a source on the "3% of Muslims support Daesh" thing? I was expecting it to be REALLY low, but not THAT low.

Why would you expect it to be not that low?
3% of 1.5bn is still alot of people.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 6, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Smoothrich posted:

Israel is one of the world's most advanced nations in like, every way dude. In agricultural science, water conservation, pharmaceuticals, microchips, nanotechnology.. it's literally the opposite kind of nation, one driven on science, humanism, education, and collective good, instead what "evangelical fundies of the same mold" as you so anti-semitically chortled would actually imply. 20 percent of Israelis are Arab Muslims you know. They are able to vote in elections, freely practice their religion, and are afforded all the rights and protections under Israeli law as equal citizenry.

You are probably safer as a Muslim in Israel than in most other Arab nations nowadays honestly, heh.

You do know that's, well, demonstrably false.
But yeah I guess incredible advancement is what happens when you get the unquestioned and full backing, funding and support of the world's premier superpower.

But this isn't the I/P thread.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ToxicAcne posted:

Yeah it's fixed and you can't bullshit because then you would be defying god.

Sharia is not the solution that the Muslim world needs but supporting it is a very understandable and dare I say rational line of thought.

Well its not unchanging fixed, in a way: Sharia, or to be more accurate Islamic law consists of Sharia and Fiqh, Islamic Jurisprudence.
The latter, being 'man made' can change.

But its obvious one would be more receptive to ideas originating from their prescribed holy text.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nessus posted:

This can presumably be checked by other religious scholars who can go "that's bullshit," and is perhaps preferable to the law of "I have the army, so gently caress you." It is obviously not a perfect system but it seems like secular authorities are perhaps seen as materially worse?

Well historically Islamic jurisprudence was as much an area of scholarly debate as constitutional law is now in America. A lot of that scholarly tradition is ignored in fundamentalist Islam: Wahhabis would love fiqh that cannot be questioned or changed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Small aside, thats a baller rear end mug.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rakosi posted:

I think youve just highlighted my point for me. The level of distortion required to twist the dogma a Jain follows, or a Quaker or an Amnish, to allow for them to behead infidels, or blow themselves up in a crowd of innocent people would be so extreme and readily apparent that every sane person could come to the reasonable conclusion that a person purporting to be a Jain or Quaker or whatever, who did these things, is obviously not representative of the faith.

If a Muslim does it, there is not that cognitive dissonance between extreme violence of the follower and the content of their religion because like it or not, such violence is fundamentally supported in the Quran and Hadith. Islam is not a religion of peace, if it were, extreme Islamists would be extremely peaceful.

ISIS, it bares repeating, are Muslim, and its really dumb for religious moderates to say otherwise. They are too Islamic, and thats the problem. We would be much better off in the world if all Muslims paid a bit more lip service to their faith and the Quran and didn't really take it all too seriously, like the stereotypical western, modern Muslim does, picking and choosing carefully which parts of the Quran to closely model themselves against..

Christianity and other religions can have wild differences in their adherency, yet Islam is somehow monolithic and is one sliding spectrum.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rakosi posted:

I disagree that they are off. The point of the comparison was to highlight what an actual religion of peace (Jainism) looks like, specifically including extreme adherents, in comparison to a so-called 'religion of peace' (Islam), and I don't think it's a disingenuous comparison to make if I am trying to prove that Islam is not, at it's most basest and core level, a peaceful religion. That Islam can be followed in a way that is horrifically violent when other religions cannot is the point I am making. There is a very popular public perception among the more religiously liberal left that all religions are equally respectable, or equally valuable to society, or can all be distorted into violent interpretations and this is just simply not true.

Rakosi, Grand mufti and scholar of Islam.
Kindly, from now on, assume ignorance on your part when talking about the Quran.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rakosi posted:

Edit: Maulana Muhammad Ali, The Religion of Islam (Lahore: Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha'at Islam, 2005), p. 32; Ahmad bin Muhammad al-Nahhas, An-Nasikh Wal-Mansukh (Cairo: Maktabat ‘Alam al-Fikr, 1986), pp. 2-3.

Scholarly text and debate on the nature of interpretation do not a central tenet of worship make.

Also how is The religion of Islam a citation for Naskh?
P.32 speaks of how dialectic differences between tribes, that of Quraish and others, were allowed in the recitation of the Quran. Since these Dialectic differences made it hard for members of tribes other than Quraish to pronounce. And then the book instantly appends that with that the practice was then abandoned due to the spread of education.

Anyways:
16:10 (Supported by the rest of Surah 16) is a direct response to those who accused Mohammed had fabricated the Quran
Stating that the divine conveyance of the Quran is god's work, and what does a mortal know of god's work.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 9, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So scholarly tradition now is central to a faith that is largely non centralized?
Like monascetism is a tenet of Christianity/Buddhism/any religion with ascetic monks.

quote:

For the Islamic apologetics in this thread; can you give a hypothetical example of a quote or doctrine that would mark Islam as an inherently violent doctrine to your satisfaction (yet isn't obviously counteproductive to spreading the religion like "kill every non-muslim you meet, then yourself")? I understand your unwillingness to dismiss a faith practiced by so many as utterly rotten from the roots on up. But can you at least admit that the more literally you follow the Qur'an and the more certain you are it is the unchallengeable word of god, the worse a person you are going to be to live around?

And LL, I've noted that you have quite the violent impression of the Quran. You might even be better at that than the extremists, its shocking.
Islamic apologetics.
Hah.

God knows why I keep humoring your obvious deep seated Islamophobia. Get banned.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Immortan posted:

You so conveniently leave out the other passages posted in this thread saying otherwise with thorough explanations while continuing to fling poo poo towards people you disagree with after your "lol islomophebe get banned!!!" nonsense. Apologetics applies to you accurately.

Yo thats me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Uroboros posted:

I thought it was pretty much a way to make 7th Century Arabic cultural norms the equivalent of the word of God, which unrprisingly doesn't work so well in the 21st Century.

Also, I know a lot of you hate Ayaan Hirsi Ali, but her latest book "Heretic" is a lot more constructive on its criticism of Islam than "Infidel" or "Nomad", apparently the Arab Spring gave her a bit more hope that differences might be overcome.

Actually, no.
It was in direct opposition to Tribal Arabic cultural norms.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thanks for doing this Schizotek.
But this:

This is a god damned abomination.

computer parts posted:

It kinda follows from precedent too since they held all of the previous prophets (Moses, Jesus, etc) had the exact same message as before but people just didn't understand.

It isn't 'did not understand', but 'went astray' as per the text.
They got the message but for some reason deviated from the path their prophet preached.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 7, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The idea of race isnt immutable and is entirely a social construct as well.
Your point?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bitey posted:

Ah yes. Well explained.

Except that people are using that verse not only to burn somebody's face, or push their faces into the ground, but also to murder them. Yes, the most insane and violent understanding of that verse is being applied.

"Burn somebody's face?" That's kind of what they do in some places; they throw acid at women who dare to show their faces.

"At worst, you have something saying that throwing acid in women's faces is ok."

But that's "at worst." No, you would never have an interpretation that would justify throwing acid in people's faces. That would be barbaric.

Jeez man it seems like you're just going over his posts only looking for things that reinforce an existing position, rather than debating it's contents in good faith.
To be honest I don't think the people who did murder the Atheist Bloggers needed anything more than the barest, most flimsy excuse to kill someone who holds a dissenting opinion or they perceive has even the smallest chance of threatening their hegemony. Extremists generally don't need reasons nor excuses beyond 'I don't like them', All they need is oppurtunity.

As for the ن
The Quran is supposed to be in the style of Arab poetry at the time, maybe it's part of a technique used to establish the rhyming sound/syllable/meter/insert poetry terminology.
After some cursory searching I've found that it could be a representation of the great whale/fish that carries the seven skies.
Or a River in Heaven,
Or started with due to being the last letter of one of the names of Allah: الرحمن

Or all of the above.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 9, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ToxicAcne posted:

We know through homer that oral poetry can be very intricate. What would Muhammad's influences be at the time of revelation.

First and most probable: Arabian Poetry.
Possibly the most important of which were The Mu'alaqaat (hung ones). Refers to a set of what was considered the absolute finest poetry produced by Arabian poets, the ten of them covered all major styles and origins used by Arabian tribes at the time, and were held in such high regard as to be painted on the Kaaba. Which then was, as is still true now, an absolutely central religious site, before Islam came in.

As you may know the Quran is held to be a divine miracle, the miracle being that it's not supposed to be 'just' the literal word of god, but also a superlative text that puts all written and spoken word before it to shame.

Bitey posted:

edit: The established pattern being: Anti-Islamic bloggers are being hacked to death in Bangladesh. In this latest one, the daesh assassins used a ruse ("Taqiya") to gain entry to his house, and then killed him with machetes.

Yeah I read your post again.
Ruses aren't Taqiyya.
Taqiyya is explicitly lying or concealing your Islamic faith where it would save a Muslim's life.

And it isn't an Islamic Original Idea(tm) but :ssh:

But for reals: I've found that people randomly mentioning Taqiyya generally pair it with uninformed, bigoted screeds.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 10, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bitey posted:

Excuse me? The names of the targets are on a list distributed by Al Quada.

"Barest, most flimsy excuse?" What the gently caress is the matter with you?

Uh
What exactly do you think I'm saying?

Because I'm not sure you're understanding (or actually reading) my post.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-gently caress it not worth it-

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 13, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Liberal_L33t posted:

Rigged Death Trap? What are your thoughts on ex-muslims? Should there be a certain amount of leniency granted to those who intimidate, threaten and/or murder them, on account of the fact that they are betraying their race by leaving the religion with which it is, according to you, synonymous? Is that an accurate representation of your views? Even if it isn't , it's closer to the truth than responding to any concern with the political attitudes of Muslim immigrants with "HITLER HITLER HITLERRRRR"

Well poo poo I wasnt gonna enter on this but since im specifically being called out, what the hell.

Yes people, even muslims, who threaten, hound and murder ex-muslims should be charged like any other member of society would be if they did the same.
I sure hope they would be, considering that Im ex-muslim myself.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hammurabi posted:

but just North African culture being hideous garbage.

Would you kindly gently caress off.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jesus christ you're disingenuous as gently caress.

Please acknowledge you quoted the following:

CommieGIR posted:

Let me know when a real court in a Western country signs off on a Sharia court. Thanks in advance.

That does say western country, right?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

One is an article of clothing a woman may choose to wear. The other is an article of clothing a woman may choose to wear.

Personally I've seen both worn at the same time. (To clarify thats the niqab and high heel, really tall stillettos more often than not.)

If its explicitly the womans choice to wear the niqab or the burka or the high heel who are you to deny her that?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 15, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

From a non western, Arabic viewpoint that distinction is reversed.

E:@ Miltank

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Insect Court posted:

Trying to "reclaim" the burqa as a feminist icon is as ludicrously stupid as attempting to reclaim FGM or sati. The burqa is a tool of the subjugation of women, the fact that as a highly visible sign of Muslim piety it's often targeted by xenophobes doesn't change that undeniable fact.

Thus these women must be protected from xenophobes by restricting what they can wear or do, like a xenophobe would.

The Insect Court posted:

One might suggest that the self-styled leftist or liberal defending the burqa is engaging in a bit of Orientalist fetishizing of the mystery and exoticism of foreign couture, they just like to imagine 'real' Muslims wearing foreign attire because they identify authentic Muslim identity as being alien and distinct from Western identity.

Or consider this bombshell:
They can wear whatever they want to wear.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blazing Ownager posted:

This is partly why I don't get religious people. If you really truly believe in it as much as you confess, why are you OK with society saying "Well ignore this part, and don't do this part?" How can you be a tolerant and moderate <insert religion here> when you're effectively ignoring huge parts of your supposedly sacred text? It doesn't add up. I'm not a believer, but if I truly believed, and I mean TRULY believed.. why wouldn't I bet an extremist? Because - again, if - I truly believed, anything that happens in this life doesn't matter, as long as you appease your deity.

So yeah. Not exactly a Political Science analysis, but I am kind of tired of this bullshit. If you have to hack and chop up a religion to make it compatible with the real world, instead of doing that and calling anyone who goes with it a "moderate" maybe we should look at the core religion and discuss that instead; namely all of them.

No True Adherent.
Then we get to the wonderful, endless debate about the exact definition of a religious adherent and exactly what they must do in order to be called a 'true adherent'.

Fact is faith and adherence have been fluid since religion began, adapting (sometimes badly, sometimes disastrously) to changes in human society and is as much a product and part of the 'real world' as pretty much anything else produced by human culture.
At it's base form it's part of a person's identity, and can you really deny a person their identity? (well you can but it's evil and at best unethical).

It's like saying Mallards are the only true duck because only they walk, look and quack in some arbitrarily defined fashion befitting of a true duck.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 15, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

small Haredi boy was masturbating. His mother looked angrily at her, and told her "this is your fault".

Haha what the actual gently caress.
I'd like to believe this is out of some parody or tasteless comedy, isn't it?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lacking the double-bitted Battleaxe.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sethex posted:

To spell it out to the unimaginative person that you are, if you are interacting with people less and treated as an 'other' by everyone, you are going to encounter less ideas, hindering your personal growth as an individual.

An regarding your previous terrible comment about niqabs and 'what if they want to wear it' the answer is they mostly all want to wear it because that is how they were raised. But the cost of forcing them to not wear it is smaller than the price people forced into the lifestyle at an early age pay.

Theyre only an other to you due to the cultural disimmilarity. And have you ever actually talked to woman who wears a niqab? One of the most spunky, self driven women I know wears a niqab on the regular and it hinders her none.

You are the one otherizing the by simply not accepting their choices or understanding the realities of the societies and culture they come from.

And the cost of forcing them not to wear it is not having these women ostensibly on your side when you do want to negotiate and discuss the inequalities of the society they live in.

How can they even begin trust you have their best interest in mind when you wont even let them dress the way they want?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

On the internet no one knows you are wearing a niqab.

• Locked thread