Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Why is religion being considered separate from the society as a whole? Who gives a poo poo if a premodern enpire was motivated by religion or not? Why are the Umayyads worse than Alexander or Ghengis Khan? If you get stoned for adultery why is it worse if that is prescribed in a holy book vs being a secular law?

Religion is simply one component of a society or culture and IMO it's very hard to separate it from those other components

You see, Christian empires conquer like this,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Would this be like if a Christian church banned the sacrament? Arguing its un biblical?

More like banning Christmas.

Oh...

fspades fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 12, 2015

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

This is the only smart thing posted in this thread so far, and coincidentally it is also the only one that displays a knowledge of Islam and Islamic history.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cockmaster posted:

For what it's worth, it was for less than one century that blaming an entire race for the actions of a handful of its members was widely frowned upon.

It was also OK to not allow women to vote and punish people for homosexuality until very recent times, but now the Western world is over those they can lecture the rest of the world about their cultures' inherent sexism and homophobia.

fspades fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 15, 2015

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheImmigrant posted:

No, it wasn't.

Yes, it was. We're talking about a religion that is more than a millenium old here. In that kind of timescale, events that happened in mid-20th century would be very recent.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheImmigrant posted:

I'm sure you believe that, son, and it is very gallant of you to come forward as champion for forums poster "fspades." Just the same, I've seen enough bankrupt relativism expressed on this forum, particularly regarding dear fetish peoples, that I'll wait for xir to clarify before believing it.

I don't know what the hell you are on about, but I'm pretty sure you didn't understand my point. Here, this was the key word for understanding it:

fspades posted:

It was also OK to not allow women to vote and punish people for homosexuality until very recent times, but now the Western world is over those they can lecture the rest of the world about their cultures' inherent sexism and homophobia.

It is extremely disingenuous to claim (as many have done) that Islam is the reason behind women's plight in the Islamic world, because women's subservience was the norm in nearly all of the planet until very recent times. Islam, as a living religion whose values are open to interpretation, might have been used (and still getting used) as a foundation for patriarchal social attitudes because it itself was shaped by patriarchal societies. To deny this and instead focusing on scripture as evidence of Islam's inherent sexism is to deny Islam's capability to change and puts you roughly in the same wavelength as Salafists. It also conveniently lets you ignore the very real gains made by Muslim women in modern history.

But then the same people who do the above turns around and claim Islamic terrorism, a phenomenon that is undoubtedly modern and new, represents something timeless and at the core of Islam and we have to pretend Daesh are the exemplar of True IslamTM now and every other Muslim are fakers. This has nothing to do with a rejection of "relativism," it's simply the boneheaded rejection of history.

For what it's worth, I believe Islam has some deeply disturbing features that's currently showing no signs of changing. I also dislike the tendency of some to solely blame imperialism for the problems Islamic societies have in the modern world. Ordinarily I would have no desire to defend Islam, but I would defend it from the stupidity that has become ubiquitous in the West in the recent decades. This kind of discussion benefits no one.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Schizotek posted:

Hey folks! I know its a bit late, by its time for the first installment of

Wherin we shall delve into that most controversial of texts, the Quran. One surrah at a time. Starting with the first, Al Fatiha (The Opening).

Not too much to discuss. it's a pretty basic prayer. A fairly important one, as its part of the Rakah, the basic component of Muslim prayers.
As the first Surrah, and a short one at that, it makes a good starting point for aspiring Hafiz and Hafiza, who then clutter up the Muslim corner of youtube with it. Its like the "dog howling with sirens" video for devout Muslims:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlSMt5IkzqI
As well as being common for doing the whole "calligraphy artwork" thing:

Shockingly, this short inoffensive prayer is our first step into controversy. The most widely and easily available English translation of the Quran is not the one I used. It's the so called "Noble Quran", or the Khan translation. That version goes:

If you got your Quran for free on your Ipad or Kindle, it was probably this one. The original Arabic doesn't mention Jews or Christians, but the translators felt that many passages should be "clarified" with the commentary of Muslim scholars who were alive during the Crusades. Literally loving medieval. Unsurprisingly this is the official Saudi translation into English, and they spread it as much as possible. Despite its overall popularity with people looking to read the Quran due to its easy availability and zealous Saudi missionaries throwing free copies at anything and everything, it's pretty widely despised among American Muslims. Pray it stays that way.
For the duration of Hawza 'Ilmiyya Al-Schizotek we shall be using Arberry's translation found here: http://www.iqbalcyberlibrary.net/pdf/QA.pdf
Read the preface. It's pretty :smith: at the end.

Hahaha, it's like the Conservative Bible Project except actually done and influential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

almighty posted:

Wrong. 'Polytheists' refer to the old/non-Abrahamic religions that were dominant in the peninsula before Islam among the Arabic tribes. Basically, it extends that back and overlaps it with the usual biblical scripture regarding the end of the days and the anti-christ. It does not refer to Christianity at all. Seperately, the book deals with Christianity and Judaism as the books of God and goes as much to name the followers of Christianity and Judaism as 'the people of the book'. Theologically, Islam establishes itself as the natural successor to the line of mythology that came along through Abraham and the book is supposed to supercede Judaism and Christianity.

You are talking about the term "mushrik;" the verse uses the word "mujrim" (criminal, sinner in other translations) which the Khan translation helpfully guides us to read it as polytheists. I don't know what the Khan translation means by the term polytheists generally, but I do know that in some schools of thought Christianity has been regarded as shirk due to things such as the Trinity or intercession of saints. And Salafists accuse all manner of things as shirk, from Sufism to democracy.

• Locked thread