Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
ISIS certainly has their religious justifications down pat, but they kill a ridiculous number of Muslims on the flimsiest of pretexts. For this reason, I think most Muslims find them about as Islamic as a Quaker would find Reagan Christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

1) You just cited the Express

2) There are 1.62 billion Muslims on Earth.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That animism sure makes Indians shoot an arrow at me, while I'm exterminating their game animals.

*pulls arrow from hat* What gives man? You need to quit loving around with such a violent religion.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

L-Boned posted:

If 97% of muslims do not view ISIS positively, you would think there would at least be a decent amount headed to the middle east to fight against ISIS. The fact that this hasn't happened at all makes me question polls like these.

Do you want to fight ISIS? I don't. Is it their job to fight them?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Al-Saqr or Fizzil might be better at writing up an effort post about this (I'll try later, though) but one of the major problems is actually that traditional Sharia jurisprudence, which accepts a diversity of opinions on religious issues as legitimate, has been increasingly attacked by dictatorships since the 1960s. The idea that it is legitimate for two Muslims to have different interpretations about a religious issue is considered dangerous since it removes the ability for the state to say "If you are a good Muslim you have to agree with us on this issue." This has been playing out in Egypt especially, with military governments putting pressure on Al-Azhar to only allow their scholars to give (super conservative) rulings that they agree with.

Al-Azhar, which used to be one of the amazingly well-respected centers of jurisprudence by both left-leaning and right-leaning Muslims, now suffers from an increasingly bad reputation as Sisi's government calls on them to whitewash his behavior and kick out anyone who disagrees. They are mouthpieces of the state, and when they say "Oh, well ISIS is bad," they no longer have the respect or authority to make it stick since, like ISIS, they whitewash crimes if their side does them and deny the legitimacy of anyone who disagrees.

This is a huge tragedy, it's as if Oxford became the mouthpiece of a fascist government.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liberal_L33t posted:

All the meandering, hypothetical, dystopian bullshit in the world isn't going to convince me that bombing Daesh isn't justified and necessary.

Live in the moment, as they say.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

I worry that you really believe that, that there is a Christian equivalent to Da'esh poised to emerge in Europe or North America.

Don't be silly, Christian death squads will have many points of distinction from ISIS. For example, they'll use Ford trucks instead of Toyotas, ARs instead of AKs, and their execution videos will be set to Toby Keith instead of nasheeds.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

if we're talking just islam vs christianity in general it's germane imo, you don't have many IS types running around threatening to murder people in america

We are in fact experiencing a brief lull in death squad activity, but the world used to look to us to see how it was done :heritage:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

not sure i'd accept that the klan are a primarily christian group, though they obviously mix a weird christianity in with their odious racism

their explicit rejection of universalism seems like it would make them pretty clearly heretical, at any rate

This sounds like the same thing as "IS is unislamic because they are sectarian butchers" which has a kind of point, but not really.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I like that the comments are one incredibly long call of "noooooo" or "riiiiiiiiight."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

wimmin are inferior. I think it was similar for trial by combat in mediaeval Europe.

Other way around at least in some cases:

http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/trial_by_combat/combat_man_and_woman.htm

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sethex posted:

Saudi Arabia is funding them, I am surprised I have to articulate this.

Saudi Arabia have been known to advance extremely conservative and extremist variations of Islam and Sharia. They literally pay the salaries of the undesirable type of Imams throughout the world.

You didn't already know this?

Being labelled by a bunch of goons arguing exclusively on emotion rather than information doesn't concern me.

The only emotion you are projecting is fear. Your weakness is jumping off the screen. You wouldn't be so concerned with controlling Islam if you didn't secretly think it was stronger than your own Western liberal traditions. Please accept my apologies that your parents didn't condition you like a Spartan, instead purchasing gifts for you and answering your every need.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sethex posted:

I talk about goons arguing about emotions an not information then you argue exclusively on emotion an not information lol.

Conservative Islam is weak, but it is disruptive and annoying an is used as a scapegoat among the west's conservative and fascist elements to erode civil rights and advance a police state. I worry about the trends continuing because I'm not a retard.

That said I am more worried about the loss of democracy through the EU'S bureaucracy and the privatization of the US electoral process as we all just emulate models of Asian style capitalism.

I don't really understand your position, you are taking the time to characterize me as afraid of Islam, because what I say upsets you. I'd say your jimmies are in a rustle an you don't have anything substantive to say about it.

The fear and emotions belong to you. You fear the collapse of society, like the followers of Wahabbism. In their nations, you'd be among the most compliant and observant of fundamentalists, participating in stonings.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sethex posted:

Thinking the west will drift toward totalitarianism because of Islamic terrorism isn't a fringe theory nor is it equivocal to believing in doomsday.

Presumably due to the overreaction of racist whites? I defer to you; I suppose you'd know better than I would.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sethex posted:

Uh huh. I hesitate to categorize the bulk of US political culture to the white racist camp. I think tumblr is missing a slactivist.

The white guilt over colonialism drives you to make hollow pedantic remarks around this subject, we can all see that, your contribution is literally just indirectly or directly calling people racists from your imagined strawman caricatures.

Pretending that 9/11 didn't result in a demonstrable erosion of civil liberties an give birth to a surveillance state only serves to demonstrate how bad you are at seeing obvious causal chains because it offends your immature notions of multiculturalism.

Is it some reason other than racist whites? That's the reason for the erosion of civil liberties, the belief that it would be applied to nonwhites only.

Please, let me know exactly how, step by step, Islamic terrorism will lead to Western totalitarianism. Without white racism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sethex posted:

Alright tumblrina I think we've found your ruling ideology an it involves a reductionist oversimplification that revolves around race issues.

The Boston bombers not really fitting the racial prerequisites or the thousands of whites looking to join a global struggle in Syria, I think the fact that you are incapable to see the multiracial dimension of Islamic terrorism has more to do with you than reality has presented.

I would say the process of profiling is something not really altered by the Patriot act or prism or any of the new forms of an all seeing government. Collecting all data from everyone an making it indexable by a search engine is the structure, not some simplified race issue.

Sounds like you crave a racial interpretation so you can feel like a justice warrior.

In that case, why does Islamic fundamentalism lead inexorably to Western totalitarianism? It sounds like totalitarianism will proceed apace regardless of what Islamists do. Get your arguments straight.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

People are disagreeing with me, gas it! :qq:

This is Debate and Discussion, not Circlejerk and Congratulate.

Let's see here:

-population bomb!!

-poisonous ideologies (we all know Islam is the only source of these)

-tumblr lol

Have I missed anything?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
eurabiaaaaaAAAAA.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Inshallah our infiltration of France may reach 10 percent :jihad:

Foolish, infertile Euros! If only they knew what was in store once we hit the magic number...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Immortan posted:

:sigh:

So ethnicity is responsible for totalitarianism rather than political, economic, and religious ideologies. Sounds rational.

Maybe, just maybe, much like neo-nazis, we should relentlessly counter vicious theocrats wherever their influence arises without the cultural relativist thought-police in academia and elsewhere conflating every criticism of their explicitly stated ideology with racism & bigotry under the banner of "multiculturalism". And unlike racism, religious extremism unites hatred & totalitarianism across ethnic lines.

"You're going to tell me homophobia, misogyny, and anti-semitism are abhorrent views? Well, gently caress you; those are mans laws, not God's laws. Insha’Allah." This is exactly what they're saying when a few courageous progressives remaining on the ideological left in Europe under credible threats of violence say in attempt to shame them into submission & guilt. But no guys, here in D&D, my white Christian father who goes to Church once a year who said something positive about Ronald Reagan once at the dinner table during Thanksgiving is the real enemy of secular values.

Yes, correct. White American voters pose an exponentially greater threat to secularism and freedom than the most pop-eyed, shouting mullah with the longest beard.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think White American voters are that big of a threat to secularism and freedom in Europe.

Yeah, but they're more of a threat than Islam is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liberal_L33t posted:

Edit: But seriously though - Sedan Chair, Effectronica, Rigged Death Trap? What are your thoughts on ex-muslims? Should there be a certain amount of leniency granted to those who intimidate, threaten and/or murder them, on account of the fact that they are betraying their race by leaving the religion with which it is, according to you, synonymous? Is that an accurate representation of your views? Even if it isn't , it's closer to the truth than responding to any concern with the political attitudes of Muslim immigrants with "HITLER HITLER HITLERRRRR"

How magical, we are somehow the ones conflating religion with ethnicity, in spite of our not being the bigots who strive to repress others.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Going to a mixed race Masjid is not, in fact, "a material signifier of an oppressive social system." The fact that you think it is is :psyduck:. If anything, demanding that everyone only pray with others of their race lest they be branded an extremist is the sign of an oppressive social system, not the free mixing of people of different ethnicities.

Here's a hint: for Muslims, there's no way to win except to be rounded up and exterminated. This is what all this fancy talk is dancing around, and boy will these bigots deny it right up until they accomplish it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Uh, restricting the wearing of burkas is quite misogynist actually.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

And yet one functions by turning its wearers into semi-anonymous symbols of feminine otherness and the other is an uncomfortable patriarchal norm. High heels have more in common with neckties than burkas.

Both actually do that first thing, if you think about it for a minute. ZZ Top wrote a song about it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

I've thought about it for more than a minute and you are still wrong.

High heels literally turn their "wearers into semi-anonymous symbols of feminine otherness." I was amazed you actually wrote that out without having some kind of realization.

Now whether women want to avoid them for that reason, or claim their power, should be 100% up to them, just like any form of religious covering. Activists who appeal to the state to regulate women's clothing are misguided; instead, they should appeal to the state to regulate abusive men who would tell them what to wear.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 15, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

High heels turn their wearers into slightly taller versions of themselves with a different color of thing on their feet, depending on what they've chosen to wear. It's in no way anonymizing, and isn't comparable to the burka/niqab.

I say it is, and you say it isn't; I don't think we're going to bridge that gap. But clothing that fetishizes the body can have the effect of projecting women as little more than a body. I am choosing to express this phenomenon as "anonymizing," because the male gaze has no interest in the personality, only the body. Obviously it doesn't cover your face; literal-minded people will get high-centered on this.

Agreed about the shelters. Interestingly enough the abused and trafficked Muslim girls I have dealt with often still wear hijab, and do not immediately tear it off when they escape their patriarchal oppressors, hair flowing out like a Pantene commercial.

For the record every Islamic scholar I have heard talk about the reasons for hijab disgusted me and I would love to see them all vanish, but only by women's choice.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liberal_L33t posted:

The primary purpose of a garment like the niqab is to enable and justify rape, whether by impulsive male action or as part of arranged marriage.

The primary purpose of a garment like high-heeled shoes is to enable and justify rape, whether by impulsive male action or as part of a ZZ Top video.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah security. That's why we want women to take off burkas, all of a sudden. You never know when the five foot tall woman in a burka is going to whip out a jambiya and go "alalalala" in the supermarket aisle, just stabbing. Then slip away, unidentified. Heck it could be al-Baghdadi under there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

But isn't that an unironically valid point? It's not exactly unheard of for people with malicious intentions to disguise themselves to evade detection. I mean, don't you think there are good reasons to make someone wearing a balaclava or a full-face bike helmet take it off before being allowed through airport security? If yes (I assume yes), why should those reasons not apply to religious face coverings?

Because that's not why people want to prevent women from choosing to wear it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

So, I'll repeat my simple two-part question:

Do you think it is reasonable in some circumstances for me to be refused service if I do not comply with a request to remove my motorcycle helmet so that I may be visually identified by my face?

I don't care and the question is irrelevant.

quote:

If so (and I assume so), do you not also grant that it is equally valid to refuse someone service if they do not comply with a request to remove their religious face covering so that they may be visually identified by their face?

No and it's freakish and creepy that you think you get to demand to see women's faces.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sethex posted:

TIL face an tits are in the same category as far as sedanchair is concerned.

You don't have a right to see any of it, understand?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liberal_L33t posted:

As if "no different than Haredi dress" is a good thing? That poo poo is pretty awful too and I'd gladly see it officially discouraged and banned from certain institutions.

Do you think there is any particular reason no one is pushing for that?

And "certain institutions"? Your standard for Muslim headgear seems to be "you don't get to wear it in public."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Hijab fashion is very diverse and there's no reason to think that similar coverings wouldn't follow suit if it wasn't treated so seriously in contemporary society.

But they all look the same to him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

This is what you call thinking? "You support a ban on clothing, so surely you support extermination camps!"

As Islamophobes are so fond of saying, that's how it starts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

No, I was specifically commenting on the stupidity of SedanChair unironically endorsing someone's over the top exaggeration of his already dumb slippery slope argument.

Enlightened people understand the difference between a slippery slope argument and a deliberately incrementalist set of policies designed to eradicate a culture.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

Provide one shred of evidence that that is the position of anyone in this thread, based on a genuine reading of their posts.

It's all about never giving the evidence, isn't it? I mean if you gave evidence that you wanted to wipe out the Islamic faith, that would give the game away. The idea is to appear very Western, progressive and concerned with women's rights.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

Are you trolling? There is no point to even engage with someone who argues based on what opinions their opponents are secretly hiding.

Really? After all, most Republicans discussing immigration policy manage to cover themselves with at least a fig leaf of being concerned with something other than having too many nonwhites in America. Yet we all, not being deaf and blind, manage to understand their true intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

I'm still wondering why indirectly punishing domestic abusers by making their targets wear different clothing is the ideal strategy.

Because it punishes women.

• Locked thread