Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Maerlyn posted:

Every mafia game I mention to my family nowadays my SIL asks me "is it cooking??" So the family will probably be looking forward to it more than me :)

Lucky you. I am still thinking of a way to breaking to them "yeah, I am cooking for The Internet" news that doesn't result on them concluding I've definitely gone nuts this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Shellception posted:

Lucky you. I am still thinking of a way to breaking to them "yeah, I am cooking for The Internet" news that doesn't result on them concluding I've definitely gone nuts this time around.

By giving them yummy food?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Sandicap posted:

By giving them yummy food?

I mean, outright bribing them with food IS the plan. Hope that's enough, can't ask questions with a full mouth anyway.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

Ahhhh, memories.

:sun:

KB! How the hell are ya!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

KB! How the hell are ya!

Good! You?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, pretty good :3: been playing LOTS of Mafia but trying to ease into a new meta like you actually

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Shellception posted:

Mine arrived yesterday, it's a comic and it looks awesome as all hell! Santa also identified themselves, I'm not going to, but you know who you are and if you read this, you rock. Thanks for taking all that work to get it delivered, too!

Edit: pic!

So I'd been holding into this waiting for a good moment to enjoy it as it deserves. Today I finally got a couple hours of free time, silence and warm winter sun to sit under, and took the opportunity to read it cover-to-cover.

Have to say I was a tad worried about understanding a comic based on Shakespeare, hip-hop music, and katanas, being that I have zero familiarity with any of those things (I know how Romeo and Juliet is supposed to go, but not much besides that). Not so at all. While I am sure I missed more than one or three references, the story is a reimagination of a side plot, with Tybalt, the eponymous Prince of Cats, in the center. It manages to explain itself well - it can perfectly be plown into blind, and it still makes a coherent sense. Which is no small feat for a book mostly written in mock iambic pentameter English, and which does not stick to narrative linearity, either. Sometimes it can be hard to keep everyone straight, which is why the big "who are those people" (sorry, Dramatis Personae) splash page at the start is a godsend. The non-linearity does come as a surprise at first, because there is no indication of it - but once you realize what it is doing, man, does it work.

Art is easily its strongest suit. This book looks outright pretty. Clear, simple lines (deceptively so, the art does get quite complex at places, but it makes a good show of not looking like it) and splashy bright colors that really do fit the urban setting. The art sets a great atmosphere from start to end and sends a clear message - while the text looks overly formal and serious, the story does not take itself seriously at all, and is all the better for it.

I also found a breadcrumb that made me laugh a bit, because it is just so Mafia appropiate:

(It IS a breadcrumb and it shows around in a good couple places more it is a tag from Mercutio, a major character)

Half the reviews at Goodreads seemed to think language was an impediment to really understanding/enjoying the book. I didn't find it particularly taxing - yeah, a word or phrase here and there didn't make that much sense, but nothing major. Same goes for the story jumps. Some poet's words came to my mind while reading this - writing about poetry readers, and how some of them just want to make sure every metaphor, image and figure is perfectly associated to its correct meaning; the author went like "it is art. You want to dissect it, feel free, but first of all, you should enjoy it". This is the same. It's not a comic to be enjoyed in a perfect "everything must make sense" read - it can feel confusing at times, but that's the point in the first place. It's pretty, it's funny, so just relax and enjoy. Just flowing with the story, whenever it wanted to go, felt great. Definitely a good one that was not in my radar at all, so thank you again!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 9, 2022

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Shellception posted:

So I'd been holding into this waiting for a good moment to enjoy it as it deserves. Today I finally got a couple hours of free time, silence and warm winter sun to sit under, and took the opportunity to read it cover-to-cover.

Have to say I was a tad worried about understanding a comic based on Shakespeare, hip-hop music, and katanas, being that I have zero familiarity with any of those things (I know how Romeo and Juliet is supposed to go, but not much besides that). Not so at all. While I am sure I missed more than one or three references, the story is a reimagination of a side plot, with Tybalt, the eponymous Prince of Cats, in the center. It manages to explain itself well - it can perfectly be plown into blind, and it still makes a coherent sense. Which is no small feat for a book mostly written in mock iambic pentameter English, and which does not stick to narrative linearity, either. Sometimes it can be hard to keep everyone straight, which is why the big "who are those people" (sorry, Dramatis Personae) splash page at the start is a godsend. The non-linearity does come as a surprise at first, because there is no indication of it - but once you realize what it is doing, man, does it work.

Art is easily its strongest suit. This book looks outright pretty. Clear, simple lines (deceptively so, the art does get quite complex at places, but it makes a good show of not looking like it) and splashy bright colors that really do fit the urban setting. The art sets a great atmosphere from start to end and sends a clear message - while the text looks overly formal and serious, the story does not take itself seriously at all, and is all the better for it.

I also found a breadcrumb that made me laugh a bit, because it is just so Mafia appropiate:

(It IS a breadcrumb and it shows around in a good couple places more it is a tag from Mercutio, a major character)

Half the reviews at Goodreads seemed to think language was an impediment to really understanding/enjoying the book. I didn't find it particularly taxing - yeah, a word or phrase here and there didn't make that much sense, but nothing major. Same goes for the story jumps. Some poet's words came to my mind while reading this - writing about poetry readers, and how some of them just want to make sure every metaphor, image and figure is perfectly associated to its correct meaning; the author went like "it is art. You want to dissect it, feel free, but first of all, you should enjoy it". This is the same. It's not a comic to be enjoyed in a perfect "everything must make sense" read - it can feel confusing at times, but that's the point in the first place. It's pretty, it's funny, so just relax and enjoy. Just flowing with the story, whenever it wanted to go, felt great. Definitely a good one that was not in my radar at all, so thank you again!

I’m super glad you enjoyed it and I think your write up is amazing and spot on. It’s not trying to be perfect, it’s trying to be enjoyable while also adapting a piece of canon into a new setting dominated by a different culture. Also it’s been a couple years hit from my memory some of the language is also very much alluding to older hip hop so there might be a few lines that likewise were little nods to songs if you pick them up.

But stoked you liked it. Feels like it’s gaining in popularity lately but still pretty likely to be the sort of thing you can introduce to someone without worrying they already have it.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Meaningful Song Mafia - a game for 13 players

Maerlyn fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 18, 2022

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The Outfit 2: Grip of Vice has ended in a completely insane TOWN victory!

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Click image to sign up for Rimworld Mafia, a role-madness and mechanics heavy game for 19 players.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Click image to sign up for Rimworld Mafia, a role-madness and mechanics heavy game for 19 players.

Still need 13 more! I promise it’s not as complicated as it looks

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Only 7 more now!!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am back to say that Hal gifted me Finnegans Wake. The first three hours reading this book were god drat abysmal and I almost gave up. However, the investment felt like it paid off by the end. The style kind of grows on you? I had a major turn away from frustration and into enjoyment.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That’s jj for you

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Just 2 more!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have retired again.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i have retired again.

I'm retired too

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am unretired.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm tired.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jen X posted:

I'm tired.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Jen X posted:

I'm tired.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hello, friends, I missed 6k posts, apparently. How's stuff?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Miserable

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

girl dick energy posted:

Hello, friends, I missed 6k posts, apparently. How's stuff?

Stuff's alright. Things aren't so great though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Stuff's alright. Things aren't so great though.
It's rough when things are tough, and tough when things are rough.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Looking for a replacement for this.

ObamaAkbar. fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 4, 2022

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1489894710189584384?s=21

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

loving :laffo:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hey everyone, look, it's a new Cookfia a variable size game based on signups.
People of all cooking skill levels and mafia skill levels are welcome.
Cooking is not required, but there are benefits to doing so.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

My only question is, is Fronz dead

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Peta posted:

My only question is, is Fronz dead

rip

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
who?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

No idea, haven’t kept up with them.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Death Coast, a Mafia game for 13 players. Click to join!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Shellception posted:

Death Coast, a Mafia game for 13 players. Click to join!

Room for 1 more!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So do we know what's up with votefinder or is it one of those things where we're all just dealing with it and nobody's told anyone who can actually fix it

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Alli is aware and hasn't had time to fix it yet, per the votefinder support server.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pod you know I don't use discord unless absolutely necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I thought that was RF's gimmick... say, whatever happened to that guy anyhow