Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Buddies :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Asiina posted:

I saw the movie The Road and while it was pretty good, I was annoyed that we never found out why it was like that. It's the ultimate "we skipped the process" I was talking about. I imagine reading the book would annoy me more. I know that some people really like it for partially that reason, but it skips the most interesting part.

no no no no

because it's not really about the post-apocalyptic world and it's far from the "most interesting" thing about the story. This is why The Road should not have been a movie, Cormac McCarthy in general is borderline unfilmable because the magic is in his use of language and the only way to really truly get that across in film would be to have some loud rear end narrator waxing poetic through all the amazing tense open space in his work. The Counselor worked as a movie because it was written to be a movie, and even that had some serious cuts made from the original screenplay. This is why there are like seven or eight directors who want to helm Blood Meridian but it never gets off the ground. Some books should stay books.

Apart from that, though, The Road is not a book about a crazy post-apocalyptic cross continental trip. It's a book that is primarily about fatherhood, and the majority of the book is spent watching the main character try to shield the boy from everything pertaining to whatever cataclysm has happened. He tries to protect him from even the knowledge of certain things -- "what you put in your mind is there to stay forever" -- that's reason number one you don't hear anything about WHY the world is breaking down, because it's not going to come up in conversation with the boy, and with the exception of the flashback to his wife's death, you are pretty much stuck watching dude in real time, just trying to survive, there's no room for exposition. And that's reason number two -- whatever ended the world is irrelevant. The only thing that matters to this man is keeping the boy alive. How and why are beside the point now. The point is survival and it's a book about survival and it doesn't matter why you have to survive anymore. More setting exposition would totally remove the nuance of the man's story.

TLDR read the book and then read Blood Meridian and then read Suttree and yeah basically just read everything by Cormac McCarthy and see if your views on literature and the world in general change.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

well yeah out of like

gravity falls
steven universe
otgw
adventure time

i would definitely agree with that. i'm not sure entirely how much that says though.

Everyone always ignores Phineas & Ferb in lists like that, and on one hand I get it because it's solidly on the kiddie side of the line, but it is legit one of my favorite shows. The writing is really clever, super catchy songs in like every episode, and the way it plays with its own formula, every episode becomes a series of in-jokes that you start picking up after you've seen it a few times.

The threshold between "yeah it's cute but I don't think it's my thing" and "poo poo, this show is actually really hilarious" seems to be around four episodes.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

uranus posted:

is it art if everyone thinks its poo poo?

IS BAD ART ART?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

yeah.

I have an hour if anyone wants to go through a game.

I wanna go through it, send me a Facebook message -- I'm throwing some tapioca pudding on the stove and will have at least an hour where I just need to stir it every couple minutes.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I've done basically nothing for the last three days except watch Fringe and cook and now my apartment smells like turkey bones and burned milk

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i'm watching a lot of fringe recently and it's nice if super gory sometimes

I'm on season 4 and enjoyed it a whole lot up until this season and suddenly it sucks, the humor got sucked out of it and it's like the writers totally forgot where they were going with it.

In other news, I'm taking an ethics class that is mostly discussion based and one of the most vocal people in the class is an objectivist who believes parents should have the right to murder their disabled children and that refusing to vote is a form of protest that actually accomplishes something, and I am getting reeeeally loving frustrated because every time he drawls out some new horrible bullshit, the teacher says "you're right--" and then disagrees with everything the dude just said but I think the dude just hears "you're right" and feels encouraged to keep spewing hateful bullshit

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Did anyone adopt Votefinder?

How much was it to adopt Votefinder?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

I always pegged myself for a Ravenclaw but I went through my post history and made a gut call.

I'm so horribly competitive that I refuse to play games with people I have to look in the eye on a regular basis.

As long as I'm not in a competitive situation, I am Hufflepuff as hell.

If we're playing something even as silly as Go Fish I will get so competitive that you'll hate me for at least a couple hours after. It takes tremendous discipline for me to not just gleefully spank my opponent or cuss a blue streak if I'm losing.

I will also get really obnoxious about game knowledge. The guy who taught me to play ascension went easy the first couple games, I downloaded the app and all the expansions, learned to exploit mechana class and then I beat him seven games in a row and he hasn't played with me since.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I went to see Serenity with a group of friends and we all wore T-shirts I'd made with iron-on designs based on firefly quotes (like mine was the LiveJournal logo with "dear diary, today I was pompous and my sister was crazy..." etc) and I cried for the last half hour of the movie and all the way home and man I loved firefly so much and somber and asiina y'all are correct, it does not hold up. I feel like there's a lot of potential there but everything about it feels really twee and chintzy and empty.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Ugh I really want to do the Pottermore stuff but for some reason it's super loving broken every time I've tried (it's been like four, over the years)

Maybe I'm a squib :(

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I can't believe I had to use Internet Explorer for this.

I'm in Gryffindor apparently.

Maple with unicorn core, ten inches, supple.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

7 Days in Hell is the funniest movie I've seen in a long time, it's amazing

I posted this on Facebook but then I deleted it because I was only 15 minutes in and immediately after posting that there were a bunch of CGI dongs out of nowhere and I'm FB friends with children and try to keep things relatively clean.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

EXACT Science, whenever I see your username it reminds me of a line in the musical Next to Normal where the mother is having her prescription changed after a psychotic breakdown and tells the doctor, "[psychopharmacology's] not a very exact science, is it?" Then the chorus lists her medications (and the unintended side effects) to the tune of My Favorite Things.

This doesn't impact you in any way, but I always hum a little when you post.

also that was a p sick burn

Next to Normal is my favorite recent musical. That song is so chilling, too. The first time I listened to the soundtrack I straight up got goosebumps at "Huh, patient is stable" and had to take a break before I listened to the rest.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I also direct/choreograph/perform. Right now I'm in a lovely community theatre production of 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

I have a lot of sad bitterness about the theatre I left, but they've done a few really neat productions (like I got to direct a pretty loving ambitious time travel play a couple years ago, that was neat).

For the nerds in this thread, my favorite director at the theatre directed a production of Man of La Mancha set in a psychiatric ward. I ran makeup (which basically ended up being "clean up after everyone and do eyeliner on the 15-year-old muleteer") so I got to hear the show every night and it came out pretty strong. Our theatre is super tiny so the orchestra was out in the lobby with a bunch of mics and a projector screen at the back of the house showing the music director conducting so the cast could see it. It's one of the most fun shows I've ever seen and the creative direction was really cool for community theatre.

Here's a link if anyone feels like watching it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRAzlJ3p-o

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I don't think there's a big cross section between "loves musical theatre" and "is homophobic"

You'd be surprised

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Storytime, for the last year that I worked with the theatre in that link above, I served on their artistic committee. We basically chose the shows for the season, designed outreach programs, read a shitload of scripts, advised the board of directors on all creative type decisions, interviewed directors, whatever.

This theatre is in a very small, conservative town. There was a group going around connecting with businesses and orgs in the area to make a master network of LGBT-supportive places in town who would be adding LGBT-specific support programs to whatever they did in return for free advertising. The theatre (of course) signed on with this group, specifically saying that they would make a concerted effort to put on shows with strong LGBT representation. I was at the board meeting where they pledged this. One year after signing, we still had not had a single show with any representation. I was writing a musical for their Christmas show and mentioned that I was planning on putting a lesbian couple in -- it worked well with the story and I really disliked that we'd seemingly just done lip service to an effort for LGBT support with no actual work done. I was told in no uncertain terms not to write lesbians into my Christmas musical or it would not go into production.

The last artistic committee meeting I went to before moving away, I brought up the representation issue one final time and straight up told the committee that I felt strongly that if we were being advertised by the LGBT support network then we needed to walk the walk, and after shooting down a couple of ideas for shows with strong representation, a really obnoxious woman on the committee insisted that the bedroom farce she'd been pushing for months had GREAT representation, because there's a character everyone thinks is gay, and it's so funny, a straight man being mistaken as gay is where a lot of the humor comes from, isn't that great representation guys?????

so yeah they're doing that show instead of one with actual representation

and yeah they will probably put a note in the program about the LGBT support network that they are such loving proud members of

so yeah theatre people can be pretty loving homophobic

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

It's not even understudying, it's double cast, so different people are playing it in different performances. CLUSTERFUCK.

The last show I did at my old theatre was like that. There's a local festival in that town and they always do a play as part of that festival -- nine performances in a single week. This year they decided to use their spring show (January Thaw) as the festival show, so the play ran for eleven performances over three weekends, took a week off, then ran nine more during festival.

Since it's not a pro theatre and nobody is getting paid, everybody had scheduling conflicts so basically the whole show was double cast. I think there were only three actors who could make every performance date. So we'd have like, Herbert A and Barbara B and Jonathan A one night, then the next night it would be Herbert B, Barbara A, Jonathan A, then Herbert A, Barbara A, Jonathan B etc.

And then two of the actors abruptly quit the show a week and a half before open, so they called me and my dude to come fill in. Also the costumer was one of the people who quit.

Everything was such a clusterfuck that once it was over I was glad to walk. I didn't even go to the cast party. It was such a mess.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

I'm through episode 6 of sense8 and I'm down for six seasons and a movie. I don't care where it goes, the Wachowski siblings put out media you just don't see anywhere else. Even Jupiter Ascending was incredible.

UGH YES when I saw Jupiter Ascending I leaned over to my movie buddy during the whole "red tape to claim your title" scene and went THIS MOVIE IS A HOT MESS AND I LOVE IT

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

they worked really closely with mitchell though (he even made a brief cameo), and he gave the film his blessing.

the wachowskis are at their best when they have an actual author writing most of their dialogue.

As a movie it has its flaws that can only really be addressed by adding more screentime, and its treatment of racebending could have been handled better (e.g. in the book there's an actual comment on how people in Nea So Copros/Neo-Seoul have so much plastic surgery their eyes and faces look uncanny-valley, they could have had that line in the movie to explain away some of the bad yellowface).

But it is unironically and completely sincerely my favorite film. I cried when I first watched it and I watch it again every few months. It's so absolutely gorgeous. The book made me cry too, and the film captures a lot of what's so wonderful about the text.

Cloud Atlas might have worked better as a miniseries, I agree that more time was needed and it was already so long. I'm kind of a structure nut when reading and Cloud Atlas was one of the first seriously nonlinear novels to make an impression on me, so I missed that element of the book an awful lot.

I really did love how they brought the language out in the Sloosha's Crossing bit because that part had me literally breathless when I read it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Ernie. posted:

i'm starting to believe the rumor that he's going to retire at the end of this match

he's putting his entire heart into this

Federer as Religious Experience

And for shits and giggles: Roger Federer Killed David Foster Wallace

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Quidnose posted:

Mafia thread, I got my ear pierced this weekend and I just ordered a death star and some totoro earrings off of etsy

I am excited to be a nerdy teacher, my students already like my zelda bag with my pokemon badges~

Mafia thread, tonight I went to the final show for a rock camp my brother's band runs and watched a bunch of middle and high schoolers listlessly perform hit songs like Don't Stop Believing and Cherry Bomb and it was hella fun

(Partly because I'd gone to Founders and had a couple drinks beforehand (I had a red ale called Spruce Springsteen that was delicious) and then had a few drinks at the venue)

So there's this doorman at my favorite club who is pretty cool, the last show I went to I ended up talking to him a bunch because the crowd vibe was weird and terrible and I kept wanting to cry? Anyway dude is neat and tonight he kept joking that i should buy him a drink. So, since I was already drunk, I called his bluff and got a couple whiskey shots and brought them out to him and was like OKAY HERE'S OUR DRINK and he laughed a bunch but had been totally bluffing and of course can't drink on shift

So then I had to quickly do a couple shots because I am a poor planner and that basically ended me. I came home and went straight to bed. It wasn't even 11pm yet.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You could totally snag a number.

He's old enough to be my dad, I just like being friendly with people who work at places I frequent.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm currently reading American Psycho at the moment and enjoying it for the most part. Usually when he talks about music I try to listen to the track.

I just read the chapter titled Genesis. I never knew why exactly Phil Collins was a walking punch-line until now. They are a horrible plastic band. I'll admit that there was the rare pop track in the albums Bateman reviews that I enjoyed but by and large it's just awful. I wonder if Genesis was actually better/good with Peter Gabriel around, though the only thing I know by that dude is 'Solsbury Hill', which is a fine fun song, but I am in no mood to listen to more Genesis to find out.

Either way, this fictional character has terrible taste in music. I'm cleansing out my ears and brain by listening to Mission of Burma. Hard to believe that the two groups were writing their stuff around at the same time. Music's so varied.

Just you wait until the scene (not in the movie) where Patrick Bateman has a near-religious experience making eye contact with Bono at a U2 concert

And then read the short story Girl With Curious Hair by David Foster Wallace because it's a sendup of Ellis, does what he was trying to do with American Psycho, and does it better, in less words, and came out before American Psycho. Also it has my favorite opening line of anything ever.

I know I keep coming in a page late to add Wallace to the discussion but y'all just set me up so perfectly I can't help myself.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

~*SECRET BUZZFEED*~

I'm gonna be on mobile for most of the day. Quote this post and I will PM you a (probably table breaking) picture from my phone that represents you.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I have a couple ~*secret buzzfeeds*~ left to do and imgur is totally crashing.

You are free to share your ~*secret buzzfeed*~ result or keep it to yourself.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Quote this and I will tell you what sport and position you are.

yes please

Max posted:

Damnit LUTR I wear trashy bright clothes, not dark depressing trench coats.

pretend it's painted orange and the pants are violet and the fedora is lime green

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Philosophy Class you are.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

You are the girl who has two different drinks and a Mason jar of candy and responds to most things in class with some form of "...but if X philosopher did Y, doesn't that prove that Z philosophy doesn't work??"

BottleKnight posted:

You're the white guy sitting in the front row playing with his goatee and wearing a Stevie Wonder shirt

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You are the super tanned dude in all khaki (cargo shorts and polo shirt) who doesn't speak up much but nods a lot

Pinterest Mom posted:

You're the girl sitting in front of me. She has long blonde hair and is chewing gum so angrily, it's making her ears wiggle.

chaoslord posted:

You're the guy who I emailed the textbook to on the first day of class and whose seat (near and electrical outlet) I stole today and who is really into anime and wants to go to Japan an awful lot because their culture is soooo amazing

CCKeane posted:

You are the two guys who are off in the corner giggling to each other because they smoked a joint behind the church next door before class.

JakeP posted:

You are the one guy in the class who is in his late 40s, who never talks to the dudes in the class but makes a point of chatting up all the girls, and who just uttered the words "I'm flattered, nobody's ever called me a Marxist before"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

You're the super bright eyed girl who sits next to the dude in his 40s and fake laughs at every joke he makes. She seems really nice, I have no idea why she humors him.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

Veggie trick, If you buy lots of them and see them starting to go bad.

Chop them all up and put them in a baking dish with butter and seasonings you like and bake them until they are all done.

It will give you another week if properly sealed and refrigerated and more if you freeze them in individual portions.

They are also good for adding to another dish you are making like rice or pasta.

Add soy sauce/worcestershire/balsamic before roasting uggggggh omg

Roasted veggies are my food obsession

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Asiina posted:

Yeah. He's also not in the last episode at all, which is some bullshit. They managed to recapture a lot of the Sorkin style in the last two seasons, and especially season 7, but they really dropped the ball on Toby.

I guess he chose to leave the show once his contract was fulfilled.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

JakeP posted:

no the sales are less than overwhelming for sure

I was super stoked for Prime Day because I just bought a Fire phone recently and got a year of Prime with it, and I've actually got a little money from student loans right now buuuuut pretty much everything has either been "I don't need this at all" "this isn't even worth it at the sale price" or "100% claimed"

I've got some stuff in my cart but blehhhh the stuff I need is like, socks and a step stool and earbuds and a PS3 controller. Plus I'm finding it kind of difficult to navigate.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Ethics class you are. Also most people in this class have little nicknames so you've got that to look forward to.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Apologies in advance for all of these.

BottleKnight posted:

You are West Catholic, a girl who would be totally the cutest thing ever if not for the fact that the only time she ever speaks up is to defend Catholicism and talk about how being gay is a choice

EccoRaven posted:

You are Walking Tumblr, a dude who is in his early twenties, holds an elected office in our city, has an amazing (possibly eidetic) memory for all things related to politics (like if you mention a bill vaguely he can tell you which number it is, which reps pushed it, and when it was voted on) and speaks really loving intelligently about issues of equality but is missing teeth, makes vague references to his fringe religion, and uses the phrase "check your privilege" with no irony

Kumbamontu posted:

You are Rand Freemarket, who believes that segregation should be legal when applied to privately owned businesses, defends parents who murder their disabled children, and has fallen asleep twice in class already today

CCKeane posted:

You are Homophobe Bait, the girl sitting next to me with cotton candy colored hair and rainbow friendship bracelets -- the most reasonable person in class until people say too much complete bullshit, at which point it is TROLL TIME

You are YOU BETTER PREACH, the girl who is loving incredible at talking about race, but straight up quotes the Bible when asked where universal values come from

I GOT MORE GUYS COME ON

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

likewise quote my post and I will tell you which thing in my bedroom most reminds me of you

oh by the way I just discovered that Walking Tumblr pronounces it nucular

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You are Devil's Advocate, the guy with super neat watercolor tattoos who opens just about everything he says with "okay, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here..."

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kumbamontu posted:

This is, unironcally, 17 year old me.

I can see over his shoulder, he is browsing Reddit on his phone.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

you are a rainbow polkadot umbrella!

poo poo yes

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I don't know you, so

TMMadman posted:

You are Mysterious Stranger, a reaaaaally incredibly hot dude who has not spoken up in class even once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Mafia thread I am in the office and I am going loving nuts.

Time is moving so slowly.

Mafia thread I think I have been in this chair for a million years.

OKAY KEANE LET'S PLAY A GAME

This game is called Ethics Class Sock Puppet. You get to come up with a couple blocks of blisteringly witty text that will shoot down utilitarianism as ethically sound and I will say them out loud in class.

Short and sweet is better as my teacher has a tendency to cut people off mid-paragraph if they get too wordy. HOWEVER: I will record it when I say it. GO GO GO