Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

CCKeane posted:

If people arguing in favor of utilitarian philosophies lean conservative, "I agree, we SHOULD crush capitalism"

Yeah they are just talking about euthanasia and stuff right now. I want to shoot a giant rocket at utilitarianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Look Under The Rock posted:

Yeah they are just talking about euthanasia and stuff right now. I want to shoot a giant rocket at utilitarianism.

ugh they will not stop talking about euthanasia STOP

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

You can also start sobbing and saying that this discussion is making you INCREDIBLY upset, and you are suffering more than they are gaining utility from the discussion so ethically it must cease.

oh god I so badly want to do this but I'm horrible at fake crying

I might just go with the whole utilitarian defense of CSA that my friend told me someone legit argued for in his ethics class

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Euthanasia is in voluntary or involuntary?

"OH INVOLUNTARY EUTHANASIA DOESN'T EXIST IN OUR COUNTRY SO IT'S IRRELEVANT TO THIS DISCUSSION"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kumbamontu posted:

You should attempt to convince them that the proletariat should be euthanized so the bourgeoisie can utilize all the space they're taking up.

Help me put this in words that don't sound so overtly like trolling and I'll do it

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Also this discussion hasn't used the word "utility" even once, in our (lovely) textbook it's framed as happiness vs suffering

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Having played Socrates Jones, a flash game designed as an introduction to philosophy, I know a thing or two about Utilitarianism. Basically the big deal with it is that it's hard to define what exactly is utility and what really increases it. There are also some very troubling implications that the happiness (or whatever they're defining as utility) of some people are better than others. For instance, if stringing up and murdering Rand Freemarket (use real name) would make everybody else in the class happy, thus increasing the most utility, is that the right thing to do?

I've been reeeeeaaaaaallllly relentless in my shaming of Rand Freemarket. Every loving time he opens his mouth I ridicule him. I have shamed him so hard he has stopped talking and sulks through every class now. This started on day one when he tried to argue that refusing to vote is a meaningful, productive form of protest and that if the majority of citizens refused to vote, "they'd have to change the system"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

"Individuals that are determine, by acutrial tables, to be unlikely to be a net positive to the well being of the country, could be eliminated. Even if you are wrong, by net, you'll make a profit on happiness and productivity.

Spell this out phonetically and you've got it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

This is really loving good.

YES and I will be using that as soon as we finish watching this 60 Minutes video about big game hunting???

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

Util good, creates reasonable calculus for human prosperity

According to my friend:

I don't use trigger warnings often but tbh this is p gross You can make a utilitarian argument for government-sponsored pedophilia brothels, because although the few children who are forced/sold into prostitution would suffer, it would mean that 1) fewer children would be raped/molested by pedophiles and 2) less people suffering in prison for sex crimes

CCKeane posted:

In conclusion, continuing the human species is a net evil.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Asiina posted:

Haha that reminds me of a sociology class I took once where someone suggested that people who go on sex tourism style trips where they have sex with children are actually just helping out the local economy by bringing their money there, so it's not that bad.

Yeah you can make a utilitarian argument for that too

CCKeane posted:

I met a cactus that seemed reasonable at first, but it turns out he was kind of a prick.

Don't talk about Ernie like that

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kumbamontu posted:

Well the goal is to have the least pedophilia possible, and it (unfortunately, correctly) recognizes that stopping it entirely is effectively impossible, so it takes a ludicrous utilitarian approach to minimize it

Who says that's the goal? That certainly would make all pedophiles awfully unhappy. Under utilitarianism, there's no action that is objectively wrong -- all that matters is the consequences. If the consequence of pedophilia is that children are harmed, should our goal not be "make sure as few children are harmed as possible"?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EXAKT Science posted:

You are Girl Who Might Be The Sister Of Someone I Know, who is pretty soft spoken and who, on the first day of class, in a discussion started by a dude who complained that black people play the race discrimination card when they don't get jobs, told us the sad story of her uncle -- a man who applied for a job that he was so qualified for that literally the ONLY reason he could have not gotten it was affirmative action. And then he didn't get the job.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Does anyone know how to speak Haitian Creole? Seems like a pretty interesting language.

wi, mwe pale piti kreyol

My parents and one of my sisters speak fluently though if you were looking for a tutor or whatever.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Quote Keane's post and he'll tell you what Ghost You would ideally haunt

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

You know, I didn't even consider the possibility of you as a Sea Ghost (or Sehost) .

I bet you'd look positively stunning drapped in seaweed with half of your face bloated from rotting underwater.

aw poo poo a keane buzzfeed let's do this

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Quote LUTR and she'll give you a tarot reading about the ghost you'll be or the ghost journey you'll have

Sure why not

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

chaoslord posted:

You die of laziness, experience regret in the afterlife, and haunt a library whispering to undergrads that they'll fail if they don't study for another three hours.

skip dinner, you say. sleep when you're dead, like meeeeee

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You kill yourself after a failed relationship, work through several levels of unpleasant purgatory-style afterlife, then exclusively haunt single people. You never really know whether you're trying to steer them away from the pain of love, or whether you're trying to pick them up.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

A tragic gardening accident ends your short life. You enjoy centuries of solitude, then get bored and haunt a church, terrorizing choir members who sing off-key.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

You...don't die? You turn out to be immortal, and spend your endless life seeking mystery and adventure. Then everyone else dies off and you are alone. The only human being left. Then the only living being on earth, cursed to wander for eternity. Eventually you build a spaceship.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

You die in a forest, spend a few years trying to figure out a loophole back into life, give up and haunt the trees.

EccoRaven posted:

bandwagon: quote my post and I will tell you which person in my church you are

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

Deservedly so

My top 5 *favorite* movies of my lifetime

Southland Tales
Princess Mononoke
Stick It
Empire Records
LA Confidential

None of those would be in the discussion for quality

This is from several pages back but I think Southland Tales is a movie that wasn't big enough to handle its own brilliance, it's one of my favorites as well.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Also the last movie that made me tear up was Terminator Genisys -- "take care of my Sarah"

Last movie that made me straight up weep was Love. That last sequence hit me so hard I cried for an hour afterwards.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Top five is really hard because I watch a poo poo ton of movies

Blade Runner
Donnie Darko
Synecdoche, New York
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Brick

First runner up is Gravity I guess, I really had to think hard about bumping one of those off the list because Gravity has had such a huge impact on me since I saw it, but meh gotta stick with the ones I've loved for years and years and years and also Blade Runner.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I badly, badly want to go to space.

Like I applied to be a part of Mars One even though I lacked any necessary skills to be a part of a team. I actually make a concerted effort to not think about space travel because a lot of the time it will just make me feel horribly depressed that I probably won't ever get to go to space.

If I tell this to people, most of them get all condescending like "oh you never know, space tourism is gonna be a thing, you might be able to go when you're like sixty" or something to that effect and they just don't get it, I don't wanna just leave the atmosphere and check out some stars for twenty minutes and come back, I straight up want to go live on a space station for a while or work on a planetary exploration team or something like that.

When I saw Gravity for the first time I saw it in the theatre twice in one day. I cried like a baby both times. I left that movie maybe with the sort of experience Ecco had with Fury Road, that I'd been waiting my entire life to see a movie like this. The visuals are just so captivating, I know the science is off and the story is weak and I totally don't care. I just love the gorgeous expanse of it, it's even cool on a small screen. I've seen it like eight or ten times now and that shot where the Chinese space station debris is burning up during her re-entry still raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

I just can't think of another movie that has such a strongly positive visceral effect on me. It's not the best sci-fi movie ever and I'm fully aware that it's fatally flawed but I don't care because that movie just gets me.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

tldr I'd mop floors at NASA if it meant I could just be around space poo poo all day

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Ernie. posted:

oh please don't be depressed about not going to space!! as someone (me) who wants to do scientific experimentation for space travel in the next ~10 years, keep in mind all the horrific things we'll have to endure. inter-generational expeditions, people never knowing anything but the inside of a space-ship, new diseases, learning the true depths of our inability to get anything right. all for the chance to escape. i always think of it like living in the 1400s and crossing the atlantic. not pleasant for anyone. and at the end of the day here we are and we ... speak, think and laugh in much the same way we always have and we haven't gained much, much from it.

gravity is a great movie and it's spurned a lot of movie technical improvements to get its sound right, and it motivated studios to invest in other space movies like interstellar which in turn gave us the chance to explore some really cool mathematical models for gravitational lensing! but i think it's worth it keeping in mind how conceited the movie was, and that you're in love with space and not the movie. and to those ends, i highly doubt that you'd be out of place with any skill-sets you might have to volunteer at an observatory, or do amateur backyard telescope star-gazing to help find stray comets that we simply don't have the human-power necessary to map all of them that are coming towards us, or to participate in the numerous health/clinical studies for space food and medication, or to host space education night classes at your local community college to increase public interest etc.

also later this year no man's sky the video game is coming out and i fully plan to pretend i'm a space biologist and blog about discovering new species for a few weeks non-stop. :P
you should try that, i guess you'll find it'll be cathartic much in the same way i will

Thanks for this lovely post. I don't know what sorts if volunteer opportunities are available around here, but I live in a city so light pollution makes stargazing kind of impossible. I'm hoping to take a trip to Dark Sky Park up north this summer, tried to do it last year and it didn't work out. I don't play video games but I may need to make an exception for No Man's Sky.

You talking about all the horrors that will come with space exploration is interesting. I think part of my fascination with space is that when I was I kid I read a lot of historical fiction and got obsessed with pioneers and explorers, and then I looked at maps and saw that pretty much everything has been found. As I grew older I stopped thinking that starting a bunch of new cities in wild places was a good idea for conservation reasons, and right around then I discovered science fiction and thinking about being a space pioneer, all struggles included, became a really solid way to sort of slip out of the mundanity of impoverished white people life.

Someone really needs to just mod Oregon Trail 2 already. Just change the wagons to ships, add "freeze dried" in front of all the food items, switch up the random encounters from buffalo stampedes to asteroid belts. You have died of Space Dysentery.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

you don't even go here!!

I just have a lot of feelings

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Okay Mafia thread, give me your top five albums. I'll start.

Harvey Danger "King James Version"
Jason Isbell "Southeastern"
Mike Doughty "The Flip is Another Honey"
Japandroids "Celebration Rock"
Jimmy Eat World "Futures"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Beck - Midnight Vultures

I love you more with every post please step inside my Hyundai

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Also on the subject of albums vs singles, I could easily modify my Mike Doughty choice to his recent once a week Drip.FM releases. He's done some gorgeous acoustic versions of his old songs that are perfect.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Protomen - Hope Rides Alone (self-titled album)

YES oh I'm so happy you like the Protomen.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I love the Protomen. I had to limit myself to one album per artist, or otherwise I'd have both regular Protomen albums, AND The Cover Up.

WHEN DO WE GET ACT THREE

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Did any of you ever play Super James Pond on the SNES?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Mafia thread, today I have deep cleaned my whole apartment, reorganized my closet, cut up some old ratty concert t shirts into tank tops, started study guides for midterms, and now I am eating homemade turkey stew and thinking about getting my :sun: on

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

yuming posted:

Did you KonMari clean it? I love KonMari. :sun:

What do you study?

I don't know what KonMari is!

I am in the early stages of an associate's in science, which will set up a cell and molecular biology bachelor's, and I'm hoping to do grad work on neurobiology. Not sure how far I'll take it but hopefully I'll end up with a PHD.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

yuming posted:

That's a lot of school, but it's something we def. need to know more about! Do you have an area of interest yet or is it just because brains are cool (man brains are cool)?

My primary focus is on actual brain science behind mental illness. There is a lot of nasty misinformation flying around that's leading to botched diagnosis and people being drugged as a first line of defense when psychiatric drugs in a healthy brain can lead to chronic illness and dependence. I was sick for ten years from improper handling in the mental health system and spent the last three of those with a schizophrenic spectrum diagnosis. My goals are pretty steep but if I even get a lower level position on a research team working on dispelling the mythology shoved on consumers by the pharmaceutical industry, I will consider my life well spent.

That's pretty personal but yeah that's why I'm pursuing this field. A few Mafia goons were close to me during the hardest point of being sick, I don't think most of them are still around. Anyway I'm pretty open about that being a part of my life; I think I posted a thread about it years ago.

Right now I'm getting math fundamentals in and doing peer support from a drug free recovery orientation, so basically if there are any Mafia buddies here who are suffering I'd be happy to listen and offer what experience I have.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

If you get me talking about how much I hate the pharmaceutical industry, it's almost impossible to get me to stop. Good luck to you!

I would really like to talk to you about it.

Also with the Keane-Ernie sides of things there, here's where I fall: I think the pharmaceutical industry is incredibly important. I think curing diseases and treating people who are suffering is incredibly important. The biggest problem is with psych drugs being marketed directly to the consumer + Americans being far more willing to just take a pill to try and make their problems go away than actually deal with trauma or lifestyle changes that will actually help with mental illness. Couple that with the fact that there are so many people in the system and diagnostic lines are arbitrarily drawn around self-reported symptoms and you have a rapidly increasing number of people disabled by mental illness who will be on drugs for the rest of their life even if they didn't originally need them and you get why I feel this is such an important issue.

Basically it's specifically pharma+ mental health industry that needs to be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Like the R&D scientists are goddamn heroes but the industry and a lot of the direction it takes is really unfortunate and upsetting.

There are conmericals for atypical antipsychotics on TV being advertised as supplements to antidepressant regimes which uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the fun part about this is that antidepressants don't actually wooooooooork for most people and those Abilify ads are playing off "hey if your antidepressant isn't working you should try this drug that will possibly make you stop functioning and could induce psychosis if you quit yaaaaay"